Long time uncertified teacher

Rolls

Long time uncertified teacher

Post by Rolls »

Hello all and thank you for looking at my post, I want to start by giving you some background.

1) Former US military
2) BA in mathematics education from California State University
3) Taught uncertified in California for 4 years
4) Moved to Japan and became a principal of a small low tier IS catering to special needs 3 years
5) Aquired Med in International Educational Administration from Endicott college
6) Moved on and became a Headmaster of a middle tier 400 student K-12 IS in Tokyo 4 years
7) Currently Academic Director for a company bringing English medium preschools to Japan
7) Looking to make a move hopefully at some point soon settling in the UK with my Scottish wife

Questions.

1) I would like to become certified to teach in order to open more doors for administrative jobs in IS
2) I would like to be legal to teach in Scotland or the UK
3) I would like to do this in the easiest way possible
4) Any idea who or which institution would be good to connect with

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond,
expatscot

Re: Long time uncertified teacher

Post by expatscot »

OK - speaking as a Scottish international teacher, here's what I'd suggest.

Firstly, to teach in Scotland, you have to be a registered teacher there. You need to do this through GTC Scotland (www.gtcs.org.uk) Now, I think that your BA in maths education from CSU and your MEd in International Educational Administration would qualify for your degree, but they would be able to tell you (and you can approach them to discuss it - given the shortage in Scotland just now of maths teachers, they may well be quite flexible!) They may require you to do a PGDE at a Scottish university, depending on the content of your BA and MEd.

They can give you "provisional registration" under the Scottish system. The next step is to complete your probation year. This is normally done in Scotland by working in a school for a year - you would be on what they call the "flexible route" in that you would have to find your own employment. This should be relatively easy (compared to a History teacher, for example) because of the shortage, and also because of your own management experience.

After that, you're fully qualified. So, you could choose to stay in the UK subject to the usual immigration requirements, or, like a lot of UK teachers, you could leave and move abroad again!

I would go to the GTCS first, though. They can talk you through it all on the phone as well as by email.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

How important is it for you to teach in Scotland?

If Scotland is your priority than you really are going to want to do a PGDE in Scotland. The reason is its very unlikely any of the short cut options that would get you QTS in England allowing you to teach there would be accepted in Scotland. The GTC doesnt accept QTS earned as an OTT, as such your eligibility would be determined based on your ITT program and none of the asst/AO pathways are acceptable by the GTC. This means completing an EPP/ITT program and at the cost and time involved you would be better off doing a PGDE than an School Direct/ACP/Skills based pathway.

If England is good enough for you than there are a number of pathways available to you. To start your experience and academic background is sufficient enough to apply for initial and possibly provisional credentials from CT though the experience pathway, eliminating the need to complete an EPP/ITT program. If you receive the initial credential from CT or you want to maintain the provisional credential you will then need to apply for a reciprocity license through MS. You can then apply for QTS and if you choose after two years you can apply for the NJ Standard credential, which is a lifetime credential requiring no PD. You can also allow the US credentials to expire and keep QTS.

If you dont require QTS and just want a credential, than the MA Provisional credential would take more initial work but would effectively be a lifetime credential. UT is another option that would require less work but would require renewal and PD every three years.

Once you obtain full registration through the GTC in Scotland you can obtain registration in Wales, England, Ireland, and Northern Ireland easily through mutual reciprocity.