South America Application Process Help

bmciarko

South America Application Process Help

Post by bmciarko »

Hello all. This might be a little long, but I tried to break it down nicely.

I'm an American teacher with three years of experience working in an IB school in the states as a Spanish teacher under Language B/language acquisition. I also have certification to teach English but with no experience teaching it in the classroom. I recently moved to Peru with the hopes of finding a secondary English teaching job in a local school here (doesn't necessarily have to be an international school), but I am a little worried because from the ~20 applications I have sent I have not a had a single phone call or email for an interview.

I have a couple theories as to why, but I was hoping those with experience teaching in SA or who are more familiar with the application process could offer some advice. Could it be:

a.) the hiring process is much slower here, meaning that calls for interviews won't come until November/December for jobs starting in Feb/Mar? In other words, I just need to be more patient?

b.) applying from the country I am currently living in (without having a carné de extranjería) somehow puts me at a disadvantage with applicants applying from elsewhere in the world? Or maybe they just prefer local hires with proper documents?

c.) from all the applications I have sent I have not followed up with an email/phone call? I am also open to the suggestion of visiting these schools in person since I have read recently that Peruvians prefer face-to-face communication.

d.) despite my IB experience and being a native speaker, schools prefer to see experience teaching English?

e.) any combination of the above?

After my first year teaching I applied to international schools in Mexico and Central America from the US, and I had more phone calls for interviews and an offer at an IB school to teach English (but which I later turned down). I also have experience living in Spain and teaching ESL there for a year. These things make me wonder if there is something wrong with me as a candidate (something I'm overlooking) or I just have to approach the application process with a different strategy since it is SA and not Mexico? I am open to any suggestions so I can at least have some interviews at the schools I applied to. Any advice thoughts or advice is appreciated.
shadowjack

Re: South America Application Process Help

Post by shadowjack »

Just out of curiousity, why did you move there before you had a job? Never move before you have a job - your job at home is worth two jobs in the bush...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In response to your inquiries:

1) That hiring timeline sounds like DE for LH appointments. It could be as you described that you just need to wait, but I dont know a DS thats benefiting by ignoring candidates, unless they just arent interested.

2) Most DSs would prefer candidates with proper working documents. I would think that the disadvantage would be clear. What do you offer that a LH doesnt?

3) My experience is that when an IS wants you, they act like it, they are proactive. The vacancy isnt going to be filled by wishing for it to happen. You could followup after application but if you havent heard from anyone the first time you could just be seen as being annoying. What are you going to convey in a followup that you didnt in your original application?

4) To a DS thats not an IB DS, the IB experience isnt of any value. I dont know why they would value a native speaker who has English experience?

I dont think its you personally, your not a master IT/DT but youre not a noob either. Living in Span and teaching ESOL isnt worth anything. Your a Spanish DT with 3 years DE experience, thats it. Considering the market in Peru is MUCH smaller, with fewer vacancies you just arent competitive or they dont have vacancies.
Your extrapolating your experience from one region and expecting it to be true elsewhere, Im sure you know thats not true.