Living in Kuwait/Pros and cons ?

missy

Living in Kuwait/Pros and cons ?

Post by missy »

Hello,

Would be curious to hear other teacher's experiences regarding living in Kuwait?
Pros and cons ?

Many thanks!
Reu

Re: Living in Kuwait/Pros and cons ?

Post by Reu »

(Hope this is not too late)

Boring, untidy, and with very rude people. Rubbish everywhere. When I was there, Kuwaiti nationals were (generally speaking) very racist, especially when it came to the Bangladeshi and Indian taxi drivers. There's nothing to do except go to malls and restaurants, unless you're willing to pay for a day at the Hilton (with its private beach, spa, swimming pool). The public beaches are generally disgusting, and it's a very religious country, so expect to be stared at or shouted at for showing almost any amount of leg (if you're a woman, obviously). I also felt very unsafe walking to a decent shop (15 minutes away), but that could've just been the area the school housed us in. Oh, also, clothing regulations for my school were cover shoulders and upper arms, and skirts or trousers down to the ankle. Even with that, creepy guys outside work perved at me.

It's not a country I recommend anyone go to, to be honest, but if you keep your head down out-and-about, and have a good school to work in, it's probably just about possible to think of the money and survive a year there.

(I was there 2014)
hurricane_nz

Post by hurricane_nz »

Same as what Reu says. I just finished working there and would never go back. It wasnt too bad to start with but has been gradually getting worse. Wouldnt recommend it as the money they offer now doesnt really make it worthwhile when compared to better options with more lifestyle choices. Schools are starting to avoid employing western teachers now as it seems they have worked out they can get non westerners for much cheaper rates who are happy there as they will be earning more than they would in their home country. Its nothing like Dubai etc. All they seem to build is more shopping malls and eating complexes to cater for the locals taste in spending money. Looks in places like a third world country and thats prob where most schools will have their accomodation. All depends on the schools you are looking at, I know them reasonably well so can give you an idea on how they are seen in terms of where they rank in Kuwait.
senator

Post by senator »

Why is the salary so low? The stated salary at American School of Kuwait is 36,000. This seems like nothing.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are no real pros, but in the interest of being somewhat balanced (and Im a long time advocate against the ME in general). To begin with I concur with the prior contributors.

THE GOOD:

1) Its usually one of the few regions that is essentially recruiting all year. Lot of turnover/attrition/maturation. So if its late or mid year its a job and its coin. You can pretty much do anything for a year and survive.
2) If you pull a runner most every other IS will understand and that assumes you even put it on your resume.
3) If your a guy most of the "problems" just wont apply to you. If you are Caucasian and generally dont care about other people even fewer problems will bother you.
4) It can be a good environment to minimize distractions. Its a lot easier to just focus on lessons and work and just practice being a homebody, especially if you are working on a demanding degree or some other project.
5) It could be really easy coin, no ones going to push very hard for very much. Just keep your head down and do the bauble head, and you can probably do whatever you want.

THE BAD:

1) A reference isnt probably going to mean very much for you. You didnt pull a runner and have some degree of fortitude.
2) You are likely to spend a major part of the time with some degree of general illness. Its a depressing place to work and that assumes you actually stay physically healthy.
3) You are basically disposable, the IS didnt put a lot of work into bringing you over so they arent going to suffer a great loss replacing you.
4) You arent going to grow much either professionally or financially. If you can stomach these conditions you can make far better coin in the ME outside of Kuwait.
5) The coin isnt anything to look twice at.

THE UGLY:

Everything else, and there is a lot.