Teaching math in Mexico or Colombia?

boss14

Teaching math in Mexico or Colombia?

Post by boss14 »

I have a master's in STEM in the US and I'm considering teaching in Mexico or Colombia. I can teach math or science. I have some questions

1. Would it be easier to get hired in Mexico or Colombia for someone like me who lacks teaching experience or a teaching license? Is math or science teaching in more demand in one country vs the other?
2. What would the typical teacher save in each country? That is, what is the salary vs cost of living in the countries?
3. What benefits do teachers get in these countries in terms of housing, paid vacation, etc?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

1) Mexico would be easier, its shear size and location to western partner. Both regions have about the same size upper tiers, but Mexico has a much larger lower tier.
Math is generally in more demand than science, it depends on the science. There isnt a shortage really of bio or ESS compared to physics and then chemistry which has much higher demand.

2) Outside of a handful of 1st tier/elite tier ISs salaries can be very low in the LCSA as low as USD$15K/year with shared housing as part of the OSH. In general as long as your living on the economy and in the economy at mid tier (floater third tier and 2nd) tier ISs you can ave a bout a third of your coin if you are really fiscally disciplined. The issue is that at the salary levels on average for the region (which are well below the IE average of USD$30K/year) its not a lot of coin in the bank. As soon as you leave the region what you have doesnt go very far whether its on holiday, retirement or moving on.
The LCSA area works for ITs that are highly motivated to live in those areas, and they pretty much plan on retiring out in the region if not semi-retiring. The workload and lifestyle is pretty laid back.

3) The typical OSH package is a collection of relocation allowances (flights, shipping/shopping, landing/arrival allowance, etc.). Lower tier ISs tend to provide more designated benefits than allowances, as the actual costs using preferred providers are lower than coin. The lower the tier the smaller the relocation benefits get to the point that your getting little more than airfare at lower tier ISs.

Housing is a common benefit. At lower tier ISs single ITs must accept shared housing (you have room mates), and there isnt an option for an allowance.

Health/medical insurance is often a common benefit, with generous international plans at the upper tiers, to more regional and local only plans that cover only major injury (hospitalization) care at lower tiers. Walk-in based health care is very inexpensive in both regions. A consultation and antibiotics wont even be noticeable in your daily expenses. What you dont want is to be in the situation of long term hospitalization as many of the lower tier ISs like parts of Asia can dismiss and terminate your contract when you fail to appear or work for longer than 30 days or similar provision.

Upper tier ISs will have a post year or contract allowance or bonus. As well as some type of retirement plan that adds a percentage of your salary to some type of defined benefits plan. Lowe tier ISs just give youa small contract completion or annual bonus, sometimes expressed as a "tip". In some ISs these bonuses are entirely at the discretion of the parents group.

I know of no IS that gives you a paid vacation. generally, contracts are annualized 10 month employment agreements for 2 consecutive years/academic years. Your salary is divided over 12 months as opposed to 10 months, while your actual contact days are over the course of 10 months. Some lower tier ISs will site you a 12 month salary but only actually pay you for the 10 months you are working (Your salary is quoted at "24,000/12 months" you are only working a 10 month contract, so what you actually receive is only $20,000). You will likely also receive a handful of leave days, of which usually a portion of them are paid.

You arent going to be marketable to first and elite tier ISs, their coin is good enough that even at lower global salaries they can get experienced and credentialed ITs. You are looking at mostly third tier ISs with your resume.
boss14

Re: Teaching math in Mexico or Colombia?

Post by boss14 »

Thanks for the reply

PsyGuy wrote:
> 2) Outside of a handful of 1st tier/elite tier ISs salaries can be very low in the
> LCSA as low as USD$15K/year with shared housing as part of the OSH. In general as
> long as your living on the economy and in the economy at mid tier (floater third
> tier and 2nd) tier ISs you can ave a bout a third of your coin if you are really
> fiscally disciplined. The issue is that at the salary levels on average for the
> region (which are well below the IE average of USD$30K/year) its not a lot of coin
> in the bank. As soon as you leave the region what you have doesnt go very far whether
> its on holiday, retirement or moving on. .. You are looking at mostly third tier ISs with your resume.

So what is the typical salary range for a math/physics/chemistry teacher at third-tier ISs in Mexico?

> Housing is a common benefit. At lower tier ISs single ITs must accept shared housing
> (you have room mates), and there isnt an option for an allowance.

I don't want roommates. What are the typical housing costs if I want to have my own place?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@boss14

About USD$15K-USD$20K, you will be closer to the lower side having no credential and no experience, will put you on step 1.

I should clarify, its more like housemates. 4-6 of you share a house, you have your own room. Hard to say, a lots going to depend on what support your IS provides to you. If your IS wont guarantee for you, your probably going to have to pay significant deposit and fees, at least for something a westerner would be comfortable in. It also depends on "where", the coast is more expensive than the range of options you would find in Mexico city. You could find something for a few hundred, and of course you can spend a lot more. You will also need to add daily transportation to any estimate as most ISs rent their housing close to the IS.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You would most likely save zero in Mexico. Not sure about Colombia. The kind of schools in Mexico that would hire you with no experience are going to pay you survival wages, if you are lucky. Schools like the ASF schools pay better, but that pay is still in pesos which is going to leave you very little savings in USD terms. Mexico City is a great place, but you'll find pretty high rents in the nice areas. I have also heard that the local tax situation for teachers in Mexico is worse than it was a few years ago.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@boss14

I dont disagree with @buffalofan. When I used the phrase "fiscally disciplined", I mean you wake up, you toast some bread, grab a piece of fruit and use the metro or if close enough a bike/walk to your IS. While there you drink water and eat whatever lunch the IS provides (or you pack a sandwich, some chips, and maybe a cookie and piece of fruit). You use the ISs internet (because you dont have it at home), and their athletic facilities (if they have them) and maybe grab a shower. You then you stop off at the IS library and check out/exchange a book or too. Then you go home and turn on your A/C to cool it down a bit while you turn on some fans (you need to remember to turn the A/C off when you leave in the morning). You grab a brew from your refrigerator, and go out to your tiny balcony for a little bit while listening for some music, and enjoying your brew. Then you start dinner which is rice and beans w/ chicken. Then you go inside take a shower (if you didnt at the IS), and load up a DVD or downloaded movie to watch. After that you go to sleep.
You pretty much do that day after day. When you do go out, its somewhere free like the beach or a park, or a get together where you can pick up a case of Coronas at 7-11. Thats fiscally disciplined, and if you do that you may be able to save a third of your salary.
boss14

Post by boss14 »

What about if I teach math or physics elsewhere to get 1 year experience and a license through Teach Ready, and then try to apply for positions in Mexico or Colombia? Would I then have a shot at mid-tiers, or at least a salary much higher than USD$15K-USD$20K living with housemates?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@boss14

The majority of ISs dont pay differently for different subjects. The bar to IE entry is generally two years. In the ISs that have a lower scale (and lower third tier ISs do) youd still be on the bottom end of that scale.

Sure, you could have a shot at a first tier or elite tier IS with nothing (which is less than a credential and 1 year of experience), but seeing as how one year of experience is still less than the typical bar to entry, the interest your likely going to get is still in lower third tier ISs. Math and science have higher demand but second tier ISs arent generally desperate, they get multiple applications (not thousands at least) for a vacancy and while they generally get fewer applications for high demand fields (such as maths and science) its very unlikely a second tier IS is going to have to choose between you and a potted plant.