Sending a copy of your passport & credentials but no offer

yoganinja77

Sending a copy of your passport & credentials but no offer

Post by yoganinja77 »

So you apply for a job, they ask you to send your degrees, licenses, and a copy of your passport. Fair enough. You end up not working for the school.

Do you ever wonder if all of this information is being used nefariously somehow? What is to stop a school from using your information to get a work permit for someone else? You would likely never know.

Usually I send my information with my passport number blocked out, but this time I didn't. Now I am wondering...

It would be fairly easy for them to do, and there is no way to check.
b12r

Re: Sending a copy of your passport & credentials but no off

Post by b12r »

Yeah... probably not a good idea sending that info over prior to being offered the job...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Dont have to wonder, I know it happens.

There isnt much you can do, if you dont include what the IS asks for, youre likely not going to make it passed the screening phase to selection. You can block out the passport number, but all the IS has to do is move the process a little bit further and they can get your passport number easily enough.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

A few years back, "Halifax International School" out of Johannesburg SA was advertising on TIEonline. They wanted a copy of your passport, DL, and my spidey senses got tingling. End of story - they were a scam. I and others, apparently, sent TIEonline messages about it, and their ad disappeared.

Be alert for scams - if scammers think they can make a buck, they will scam you.
yoganinja77

Post by yoganinja77 »

To be fair, they offered me a contract in January, and I was not able to sort it all out for this school year. I approached them about the upcoming year, and they wanted it all sent again. So at the time I didn't think much of it. Usually, I send watermarked diplomas and passport copy with the number blacked out.

I'm a fair skinned, dark haired, dark eyed American. I got to thinking, what is to stop them from using my likeness and credentials (up to and including master's degree and state teaching instructor endorsements) to obtain a local teaching license for a more "local" hire at a much less cost? Or selling that information somewhere?

Based on my general description, I could reasonably pass for a number of ethnic groups. I'm pretty generic looking. Do I contact their MoE and politely say that any school or agency purporting to use my name and credentials is not me? Their embassy in my country? Cancel my passport?

The school is definitely legit, and the person requesting the info is from the school. Even if it is not an issue for me, is this an issue for international educators that never gets addressed? Many, many IS schools do not provide faculty lists of their teachers online. You would never know.

Given recent world events, I feel it is important to at least have gone on record as saying, that is not me.
b12r

Post by b12r »

Yeah, that completely changes the context of your original post. Probably would not sweat it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@yoganinja77

Okay you call the MOE, and then what do you expect them to do> They have a hard enough time keeping track and regulating the appointments actually made, and now you want them to track all the unsuccessful applications as well? Essentially you want them to institute regulation and a new public policy, and obtain the human capital to do all that, plus design the database, and maintain it, and then figure out a reporting system thats doesnt have more holes than alpine lace Swiss cheese, all because some westerner is concerned about their precious passport number or credential, or something else. Not going to happen.

I feel compelled to go on record that this while possibly troublesome for some individuals somewhere down the road, the cost of implementation and execution is unrealistic.
yoganinja77

Post by yoganinja77 »

This post has been removed by moderator. Please do not attack other posters on this forum that you may not agree with. Remember we are educators. Keep your comments professional and constructive!
JudyB

Post by JudyB »

Unless I have signed a contract with the school and they need all that information to help with my work visa, I would never, ever send any of it. It's too easy for someone to use it to create an identity or something.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@JudyB

You realize that all a contract is is some paper right? That scammers know how to use Word, can create letterhead, school insignia, and stamps as well as signatures, right? So they send you a bogus contract and then get you to send them your personal documents.