Interview questions

Ouroboros

Interview questions

Post by Ouroboros »

Hi,

This has probably been covered before, but couldn't search the terms for being "too common".

I've read the pages on tough interview questions and similar pages, but I'm wondering about two things in regards to the interview.

1) Interviewers will very likely ask questions about classroom pedagogy, education philosophy, stuff from the resume, what I use to keep up with current trends, and how to handle so and so situations. Will the interviewers ask questions about your content knowledge (say if I apply for a history teaching position, will I get questions about the subject matter) ? If they do, what is the proportion of content knowledge questions compared to the ones concerning teaching methods?

2) For the interviews, is bringing the resume/CV enough? Should I also bring a portfolio of the lesson plans I have created over the years? If I have a webpage that I use for my current teaching job, is it a good idea to let the interviewers know about it ?

Thanks.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Interview questions

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

In general, I would say that straight out content questions (e.g. Tell me about the cause and effect of the Battle of Hastings) are likely to be relatively infrequent (unless maybe your subject happens to be in the interviewers background and they can't resist testing you).

You are more likely to hear something like, "Tell us about how you would plan, implement and assess subject x to make it effective, engaging etc.", where it wouldn't hurt to drop a few names (historically significant ones of course).

As for interviews, relatively few interviewers seem to ask for a portfolio. Of course if they ask for one and you don't have one and another candidate did, you could be behind on points already. If you have one and a very good website, it certainly doesn't hurt to bring it, make sure they have the link etc.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I generally concur with @WT123.

1) Most recruiters leadership wouldnt know what to ask as far as content specific questions unless they are qualified in that area and just cant resist testing you. The other possibility thats becoming more common is the multi-stage interview where one of the interviewers is the HOD or a member of the specific department. They generally wont ask you test like questions, but they are likely to ask you about a planing or assessment question around a specific topic, that they are probing for content knowledge, especially with a cross credentialed IT. Its advisable to start including specific content focuses early in those types of interviews, so that you appear knowledgeable on your terms rather than theirs.

2) Portfolios are becoming more common, but still are infrequently requested directly. What you are seeing more of is requests for a teaching demo, which is part of a portfolio. If your asked for one and dont have one you could certainly lose an appointment over it. Having a portfolio though is a tool that benefits you, and takes preparation but little time to construct one. Once you have a full portfolio, it becomes a tool to market yourself as much as a resume does. The use of portfolios is going to increase as ISs become more comfortable and organized with recruiting outside the circuit and recruiting events.