Quality of Life in South America

jeffofarabia

Quality of Life in South America

Post by jeffofarabia »

I have been looking at a few schools in South America, and no that many schools have a lower pay scale than in the rest of the world. However, how does this lower pay impact quality of life? Can you still get out and explore the continent with a lower pay scale, or should I just stay at my high paying job and explore South America on my summer holidays?

I have heard that some schools do pay a bit more. Any info on pay scales in Peru, Chile, Brazil and Argentina at some of the Tier 1 schools there?

Thanks.
mamava

Re: Quality of Life in South America

Post by mamava »

Brazil is expensive, particularly if you are in the bigger cities like Sao Paulo. Prices fluctuate quite a bit. Travel can be pricey, too at times. We pay about 27% in Brazilian tax, which eats into your cash. Our school has done a great job of working hard to overcome the currency valuation issue and they provide enough $$ for good housing of your choice. We have kids and maintain a home in the States and we are able to save and travel. You will definitely make more money in the ME or in Asia, but you can live a good life here with entertainment, travel, and savings.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

As long as you live in and on the economy than the coin tends to be fine. Its when ITs are seeing LSCA as an interim point that the coin is a problem, at all accept a few top tier ISs you can save and do all the right things and still end up with a rather small pile of savings etc. when it comes time to leave. The coin just doesnt go very far once you leave, whether its holiday or more permanent relocation. If you want to do LCSA you either need to move on quickly (2 years and out) or you need to have the intention of staying and retiring out in country.