Incompetent HS principal

fine dude

Incompetent HS principal

Post by fine dude »

How did you deal with an incompetent high school principal who can't confront teachers not doing their jobs? Instead, he keeps dumping more work and students disproportionately on some teachers and giving a pass to senior teachers who refuse to do their bit and even praising the latter. Unfortunately, this one is not certified, spends whole day on his desktop, and avoids all contact with his teachers. No names, please.
eion_padraig

Re: Incompetent HS principal

Post by eion_padraig »

As I see it, people can do one of two things.

1) Find a new job where you like the principal and hope she/he doesn't move on right after you take the job.

2) Do your job well and ignore the incompetent principal, until you can't anymore and then see #1.

Unless you're the Head of School and can fire the principal, there is not much that can be done.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Agreed.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

Don't forget to leave a detailed review on ISR!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

1) Find a new IS.

2) Ignore the principal.

3) Talk to ownership anonymously.

4) Through some shade on the principal with parents (get one of them on your side, and if they have connections to ownership, all the better).

5) Set up the principal.

6) Stay there long enough to become a senior IT.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Put the books Getting to Yes and Difficult Conversations on your summer reading list. These books have given me tools to have constructive conversations on difficult topics with colleagues and bosses. In both situations I've been complimented on how tough situations were handled.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

When you are done reading them, anonymously pass them along to your leadership or make it a gift for them.
seeitall

Post by seeitall »

I am moving to a new school, partly because of the issues with my principal. It's a sinking ship and I'd rather not be on it.

Like others stated, you can change your situation or change your mindset on how you deal with the issue.