Question about modifying curriculum and grade reporting

mamava

Question about modifying curriculum and grade reporting

Post by mamava »

I know not a lot of schools do standards or curriculum modification--my question is about how schools that do, report it on the report cards. I'm interested in anyone with first-hand knowledge from international schools as well as Canadian, UK, or Australian schools. Does the student get a low grade because they weren't able to meet the standard at grade level. Do they get the grade that they earned with the modified standard/curriculum and then an indicator that the grade is different (like an asterisk or an M for modified)? Is there a reference to modifications in the comments?

Thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Question about modifying curriculum and grade reporting

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

It generally depends on the level of the student's disability/the extent of the modifications required for them to be successful. The international schools I'm personally familiar with would provide the support/accommodations/modifications while still maintaining a minimum standard that the student had to meet in order to maintain the integrity of their diploma. The grade/transcript was not asterisked or noted as modified.

Another 1st tier school that I know of through research/conferences also serves students with more severe needs and addresses the issue by offering a range of diploma tracks.

I imagine IB schools have their own recommendations for dealing with the issue. Maybe other posters can shed light on those, as well as how different int'l schools handle things.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Thanks. I'm looking for information as the MS level more than HS. I know schools have alternate tracks--I'm looking, for example, at a student who is capable of doing some tasks in mainstream classes, where some standards need to be modified, but others may not, and in other classes may need more significant modifications. A student would have all the work tracked so that there is documentation of what's been done, but how does that get documented on a report card that other schools may eventually see if the student moves on?
crypticvenus

Post by crypticvenus »

I’m currently in this situation. My school doesn’t have a dedicated teacher for LS at the secondary level. I was faced with some students who transferred in mid-year. It became apparent that the students needed ELL support. In addition, from my background in SPED it was apparent that a student was experiencing some difficulties that were not explained by language needs. After meeting with parents, I decided that I should measure their success based upon growth in the courses that I teach. Administration was on board. Great, so I came up with a system to use and at this point the question is still what will it look like on PowerSchool. In addition, as you mentioned, how do I formally communicate this to the forwarding school as the students will not be returning. I will make a comment on the report card indicating the approach that I have taken for the courses that I teach. I suppose I can also scan the progress monitoring results and see if they can be added to their records. As a teacher, I just did not feel comfortable sending these students off with an “F” because of the barriers that they have faced in this new environment and ultimately I am positive that it would not be an accurate reflection of their knowledge and skill set. I teach middle school.
sid

Post by sid »

I'm on board with everything that's been discussed, and I'll just make a case for ensuring absolute clarity on the reports. It needs to be dead clear whether the student has been graded against the same or modified standards, and it needs to be clear even if the next school doesn't bother to properly read the comments. Schools can be silly enough just to look at grades, so there ought to be an asterisk or symbol or such right there with the grade.
A, for the good of the student, so the school can place him appropriately and be prepared to offer the right kind of support.
B, for the fairness in regards to other students. If 2 students appear to have the same grades/achievement, but it's actually based on different standards, schools may make decisions that unfairly advantage 1 student over the other.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I rarely if ever see an IS make separate notes or indicators on a transcript for SEN/SPED/LD students if ever. Understand that many ISs dont do LD and the ones that do only admit mild needs students. ISs either hold the student to the same standard providing accommodation, or they turn a blind eye to outside accommodation and make no mention of it on the transcript. Part of the reason the parents are paying these fees, is so that their child can academically appear indifferent from other students.

I dont see how its going to look different on power school there really is no way to factor a weight to indicate a modification or accommodation. Even in notes, any comments are meaningless if the IS leadership doesnt want to include them. Grade reports generally dont go to transferring ISs, only the transcript, and its again at the discretion of whatever leadership wants to send.

I am in absolute agreement with @Sids suggestions, but they are essentially meaningless without the ISs corporation. ITs dont own the transcript or even the grade/marking book. If a parent is paying for "wink, wink" grades/transcript, they can easily ignore and remove any indication of accommodations and standards. The IT gives a student a B and then notes it was based on an IEP/Action Plan that included accommodations and modifications and all the IS has to do is remove that, or just not include it in the transcript.

Yes, some ISs can and will ignore notes, and just look at the grade, but then what? Without a clear indication of the modifications and accommodations, and what amounts to an IEP/Action Plan whats a receiving IS to do, even if they do get a notice or indication different standards or modified standards or accommodations were provided. Whats leadership or an admissions officer to do? Are they supposed to modify the transcript in their system to reflect some kind of weighting or modification?
A student comes to them with a transcript and notices that a number of courses include these asterisks with the grade. What do you do about it? The receiving IS doesnt have a system to accommodates asterisks, and even if they did they have no foundation to base a coding of what the grade marks means. What is this admissions officer or leadership to do? Just drop the asterisks and enter the grades as inscribed? Do you drop any course that indicates modifications one letter grade, such that an B* (accommodated/modified) course is now a C?. In so far as curriculum goes, how does the IS place the student, especially if they dont offer SPED/SEN/LD at best the IS will have to re-assess the student and place them in a lower course, or place them in the courses appropriate for their year/age group.