How much do you make tutoring???

HoraceMann

How much do you make tutoring???

Post by HoraceMann »

Hello All,

I am trying to get a feel for how much IT's are able to supplement their income from tutoring. Please put your current city and how much you actually make tutoring.

I'll start...

Tianjin China 250/300 rmb per hour for private students in my home. I also worked for a language school that paid me 400rmb/hr plus transport to a local oil company to teach business English classes. ( 100RMB= $14.50 USD)
chilagringa

Re: How much do you make tutoring???

Post by chilagringa »

I don't want to give specifics, but I add about 25% to my income with tutoring.
ronaldtheclown81

Post by ronaldtheclown81 »

The international schools I have worked in have frowned on this as side work.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends what Im doing if Im doing online ESOL conversational English I make about USD$10/hr. If Im tutoring F2F privates /semi privates in ESOL, its about USD/$20hr. If Im tutoring academic subjects it starts at USD$25/lesson. Exam prep (none ESOL)is about USD$50/hr.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

When I did do it.

Wuhan, China. 500 RMB per hour. I had to pay the cost to get there though (30 rmb cab ride).

I gave it up at the end though. I made enough money to survive without that. It's either a weekend where I have to make sure I don't go crazy because I have to tutor the next morning or I'm working late on top of what I already have to do as a teacher.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

I really dislike tutoring, so I charge $100 an hour (high school subjects). I avoid it as much as possible, but some parents are willing to pay that steep price, and so I let them twist my arm.

BTW, as a parent I pay about $25 per hour for my daughter's tutoring, but this is for middle school math.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Where I am it starts at about $40 to $50 per hour regardless of subject or age.

I've known DP/AP/SATs tutoring go up to about $100 per hour - although mainly for Maths / Sciences.
tictacziptie

Post by tictacziptie »

I'm in Hong Kong and I charge 800 HKD (about 100 US) per hour. Most weeks I take home around 10k (around 1300 US), but that drops off pretty sharply in the summer when most of my students go away for holidays.

It's a good gig if you know the right people and you can get the kids to like you.
zeddyau

Post by zeddyau »

In Japan, I usually charge 70~80 USD (approx) per hour... Wouldn't sell my free time for any less.. (as some might)
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

In Qatar I made the equivalent of 75% of my regular salary from tutoring - from 4 kids with one family and one pre-university senior student (who was my main tutoring breadwinner). In one month alone I racked up $4000 USD. Qatar was great for tutoring - the parents want it and are willing to pay. If you put in the hours you get the green, simple as.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

Thats not uncommon in the ME.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

@PsyGuy

In my experience, Qatar was the most lucrative for tutoring and the demand was high - far exceeding the UAE and Saudi Arabia. In fact, I had to turn work down. The Qataris have the extra cash to flash, and parents really want to push their kids (although there are plenty who just want you to do the homework for them).
Qatar is also easier an easier environment for female teachers to go out tutoring in, if that is a consideration.
Also, once you start tutoring with one family you can find yourself being offered other siblings and cousins in the same family which adds to your income pool. The downside though is if you have a dispute or falling out with a parent you can lose all your golden eggs!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

So is it your position you cant achieve that level of external income in the UAE or the Kingdom, that its just not possible?
You cant get referrals in other regions of the ME? Its something exclusive to Qatar?
How is it significantly easier for female ITs?

I dont doubt that you can do that in Qatar, but I know ITs who have comparable levels of success and income in other parts of the ME. Sure its doable, and isnt difficult, but its not difficult in any major metro region of the ME.
Referrals are generally how it works in the whole of the ME, and in IE in general. If your good, you produce results and the likeable, you wont be suffer for lack of work anywhere.

I dont see how its significantly easier for female ITs, Qatar doesnt have the best reputation or even a good reputation in the ME, its certainly below the UAE as far as lifestyle experience goes.