Visiting an IS

Teach1010

Visiting an IS

Post by Teach1010 »

I will be visiting a city this summer where an IS that I'm interested in for the 2018-19 school year is located. It seems like I remember reading on here a while back about people requesting a tour of an IS while they're in town. Is this a pretty common thing to do? If you have experience doing it, could you share how it went or any tips for how to use it as a tool for networking/recruiting?
Thames Pirate

Re: Visiting an IS

Post by Thames Pirate »

We checked the school calendar first, then emailed HR, admin, secretary (depending on dates) and said we'd be in the area and interested in learning more about the school for future applications, and would it be possible to either talk to someone or tour the campus? We always said we understood if they didn't have time.

We contacted 5, and we met with a principal, a director, 2 HR heads, and got no response from one. We now work at one of the 4, which happened to be our top choice. It took a few years for them to have openings, but they remembered us and mentioned that our initial contact then is what got us past HR gatekeepers later.

My tip is to politely and humbly reach out, but make it possible for the school to turn you down without a thought. Then they won't remember being inconvenienced if they resent the request (unlikely) when you do apply later.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not very common. I disagree with @Thames Pirate, there are just too many unknowns. My advice is to present yourself as potential parents who want to enroll a child, and then let it drop that you are a IT/DT as well. Regardless. Dont just drop by, but contact the admissions office or leadership through the posted application system.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Of course there are unknowns, but that is why you ask. The risk is small if you do it right and the potential reward is huge. We were able, with the four interviews, to ask how to make our application stronger (mostly indirect questions) and got a lot of advice on that.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

We disagree, I see greater risk and smaller reward, since so much of your claim involves knowing the "right" approach. Its something that could easily go bad quickly. I also dont see the upside, if your a strong candidate your a strong candidate whether in person or on paper. I suppose this is another of those "confidence compensates for competence".
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

A polite "we're in the neighborhood anyway and were already planning to apply to your school. Is it okay to stop by, view the place, and if someone is available, meet with leadership? If not, that's okay; we know you're busy. We look forward to talking with you in the future" is simple enough to execute and not really a risk.

The upside is that it demonstrates specific interest in and curiosity about THAT school rather than a paycheck. Admin like that. Also, it gives you something to reference in your application ("when we met last August"), an opportunity to meet admin in person away from the stresses of the fair or the artificiality of Skype, and ask questions/sell yourself in a more organic way. We also got advice specific to how to improve our applications, including a list of which schools preferred which methods of reaching out. Lots of strong candidates end up in a bin for reasons that are unpredictable. This helps a teacher bypass those reasons.

In the end our dream job wanted someone who specifically wanted his school, and our earlier contact made that point for us and scored us the pre-fair interview that led to an on-the-spot hiring. So yes, I would say those rewards were worth it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Sure if the answer back actually works that way. Its also equally probable that they say "No for child protection reasons we cant allow public access to our students and school" or "Sorry we don't do cold interviews", or any one of other reasons, that might stick in the leaderships memory for years to come. It all sounds great when it works and all the stars line up with the planets.

Your experience your story is a good one, and I dont mean to advocate abandon hope all ye who deem to enter IE, and Im always advocating for the value of a roguish approach, because things happen, and sometimes the unconventional wins the day, but its foolish nativity to make a blanket assertion that going outside the lines is always or even often going to have positive results.

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good, and if you want more luck take more risks, but make no mistake they are risks.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Not really; if they say sorry, we don't do that, just say thanks for your response and we look forward to talking with you in the future. If they even remember the request, it is unlikely to have a negative impact.

This is an example of a way to manufacture your own luck. The reward is worth the risk.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Its not unlikely they wont remember because you say they wont. Nor is it likely that it wont have a negative impact because you claim it wont.

This is just as likely a way to manufacture your own failure, while your conclusion is the risk is worth the reward, its just not true for all extrapolations or even most or even many of them.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

OP, don't forget the thank you notes!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Something we agree on, if you are making a personal visit to an IS, send an actual thank you not and not just a followup email. I use those packs of blank note cards.
sid

Post by sid »

It's not too common, but it does happen, and I see it as a useful tool in looking for new jobs. I've given several such tours, and eventually hired one of them. Meet, greet, build your network. There's no downside as long as you present yourself well.
And don't lie about fake kids or anything else to get in the door. Recruiters don't like being manipulated or lied to. Does anyone?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

I know we disagree on this wont be the last, but the visiting as a potential parent just opens more doors. You can say your looking for a friend who is relocating or some other story. Take @Thames Pirates story as an example, that last IS that said no, would have said yes if they were touring/visiting as a potential parent.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

And at my dream school and many others, I would have gotten an admissions officer (who has no say on hiring) and not admin or HR. And I would have been lying, which would have been problematic later. Big risk for minimal reward vs. minimal risk for huge reward with honesty. No wonder you consider it such a risk if you advocate going in with a lie.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No its not "many others" because @Thames Pirate says so, its maybe at your one IS your located at, and if a parent requested a meeting or tour with leadership I am reasonable sure they would get one. You didnt get reward at all, the one IS said no, which if you had presented yourself as clients you would have gotten in, thats reward.