Fun Question--Decorating your IS Classroom? What to bring?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Absolutely, its called working smarter not harder, and figuring out how students can do more and the IT do less.
Thames Pirate

Re: Fun Question--Decorating your IS Classroom? What to brin

Post by Thames Pirate »

Mamava, is your pencil sharpener battery powered? If so, what brand? A few years ago my department looked at me like I had grown another head when I ordered a simple wall-mounted type, then couldn't believe that all the colored pencils in the shared classroom were sharp because I did it while kids were working.--but they didn't want to spring for an electric one, and it was expensive!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

I find the battery powered sharpeners to be too weak, I prefer the ones that plug into a wall outlet.
A wall mounted sharpener would get a lot of eye rolls in a lot of ISs.
mamava

Post by mamava »

It's a big-a$$ electric one that I hauled over from the States. Battery ones, as PsyGuy says, are too weak. I have this weird thing about dull pencils (really, I hate that kids write in pencil for me), so if they prefer pencils, I have the sharpener. I'm at a 110v country for the most part so that wasn't a problem. I love having it--and other teachers come to use it, too, for their pencil supplies!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Ah, I wondered. I have never found a battery one I liked, but the electric ones require a converter for here. I can get electric ones here, but they aren't much better than the battery ones.

And sharpened pencils are why I like the mechanical ones--no mess, no sharpening, easy-peasy.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mamava

Im the same way i like my pencils to have a hard sharp point so they make a black fine line, you cant get that with a mechanical pencil, the lead would break with anything close to that pressure. However, I use the plastic pencils that have a clip on them and are pre-sharpened, when they get dull, you just recycle them.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

The pencil sharpeners in my classroom get the most use when I have kids in for detention - as part of that they have to sharpen the pencils in my tray (and there's lots!)

Getting back to the OP, I like to decorate my classroom to try to bring a bit of individuality to it. I have a flag, a Zorro hat, posters, and key words printed, which I will take with me from school to school (and before anyone gets on about the "school holds the creations" bit of the contract, I did these in my own time and at my previous schools so they're mine.) I then get some kids work on the walls early on - and that's me. I did bring Blu-Tak from the UK the last time I was back, because the stuff they have here in Egypt loses its stickiness really quickly.
yoganinja77

Post by yoganinja77 »

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Keep them coming.

I am allowed to decorate my classroom, and a decent printer for home use will be one of my first purchases upon arrival. Ink is sooo expensive but I like the idea of being able to do what I need when I need to do it. Come to think of it, staplers were an issue for me also. I'll put that on the list. Goo gone is a great suggestion.

Who has time to trek all over a new city searching for an odd item?

I plan on buying a par of notecards that can be used for different purposes.

Glad I am not the only one with a penchant for a particular type of pen.

Down with Comic Sans!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@yoganinja77

Make sure personal printers are permitted, there are ISs that prohibit personal office equipment in the classroom. Look into whats available first. Some ISs have horrible resources and printing can be a chore, some ISs though are pretty well resourced. The teacher work room might literally be across the hall and they have a color document maker, laminator, etc.

You should make time, trekking all over a new city and exploring things is part of the joys in traveling and living in a foreign region. If you really need something you ask the secretary/receptionist/staff person at the IS about it, and they usually have a price for you within a day, and you just order it.

Im very partial to fountain pens.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

As far as pencil sharpeners go this one really is the best pencil sharpener I've ever owned. Its non-electric and fairly quiet. Even though its an old school crank style sharpener it's well worth the investment and I'll never waste money on electrical ones again. I'll buy a replacement blade this summer for it. There are plenty of reviews about it that can be found.
https://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com/

As far as printing, I don't bring supplies like my printer or my laminator to school. I keep them at home in my office for my own use. I just prefer having my own; its definitely a personal preference. Good quality printers are easy to sell off when it's time to move as well.
Check to see if the country you're in is compatible with the HP Instant Ink program and purchase an eligible HP printer. It's a subscription service for ink that costs as low as $3-10/month. The plans are based on how many pages you print, rather than how much ink cartridges you use. So for that amount you can get unlimited ink (including color), shipping, and cartridge recycling. When you're running low your printer tells HP when to send more ink and they will automatically mail you new cartridges in postage-paid materials. Since its not based on how many cartridges you use you can print as much as you'd like, and the pages you have left will roll over to the next month.

It's really the best deal ever considering the cost of ink cartridges because there's no annual fees or contractual obligations to the program. They're still planning on rolling out the program in different countries but its currently available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and France. There are also plenty of reviews about the program from teachers.
https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Does that pencil sharpener come with a table clamp or mounting? The one I bought our department a few years ago was like that and pretty quiet, and it came with a clamp, but the clamp sucked. The school would not wall mount them.
mamava

Post by mamava »

No clamps, just rubber feet so it doesn't slide. It's pretty big...I think I paid $50 or so for it. Like I said, I have a thing for colorful pens and sharp pencils, so I love it!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

But the crank ones need some sort of grounding . . . . the electric or heavy battery ones less so.
yoganinja77

Post by yoganinja77 »

I completely agree with you about having a "home office." Sometimes my best work is done in the solace of my flat.

Sadly, my destination is not one of the HP countries, but I love that idea.

I'm all for exploring the nooks and crannies of my destination, but not as a hunter for an elusive supply for my teaching. Not a good use of my time.

peachestotulips wrote:
> As far as pencil sharpeners go this one really is the best pencil sharpener
> I've ever owned. Its non-electric and fairly quiet. Even though its an old
> school crank style sharpener it's well worth the investment and I'll never
> waste money on electrical ones again. I'll buy a replacement blade this
> summer for it. There are plenty of reviews about it that can be found.
> https://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com/
>
> As far as printing, I don't bring supplies like my printer or my laminator
> to school. I keep them at home in my office for my own use. I just prefer
> having my own; its definitely a personal preference. Good quality printers
> are easy to sell off when it's time to move as well.
> Check to see if the country you're in is compatible with the HP Instant Ink
> program and purchase an eligible HP printer. It's a subscription service
> for ink that costs as low as $3-10/month. The plans are based on how many
> pages you print, rather than how much ink cartridges you use. So for that
> amount you can get unlimited ink (including color), shipping, and cartridge
> recycling. When you're running low your printer tells HP when to send more
> ink and they will automatically mail you new cartridges in postage-paid
> materials. Since its not based on how many cartridges you use you can print
> as much as you'd like, and the pages you have left will roll over to the
> next month.
>
> It's really the best deal ever considering the cost of ink cartridges
> because there's no annual fees or contractual obligations to the program.
> They're still planning on rolling out the program in different countries
> but its currently available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom,
> Germany, Spain and France. There are also plenty of reviews about the
> program from teachers.
> https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r
wanderluzt

Post by wanderluzt »

I am in SE Asia and while most things are here, they are more expensive or they are not of a good quality. I bring expo markers, sharpness, electric pencil sharpener and stapler (plugged into adapter), very colorful cardstock even though it is not an A4 size, pre sharpened pencils, glue for glue gun and rubber cement.