Negativity in the workplace

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Amusing User Name

There arent. Those over 65 ITs @Cooldude referred too have been seated at that IS for a long time. You dont have mobility in IE at 60. You pretty much need to be seated in your retire out location sometime in your early 50's, unless you are in leadership and then late 50's.
interteach

Re: Negativity in the workplace

Post by interteach »

Rubbish. Please provide the hard data that contradicts the significant number of teachers I know who have found jobs in schools ranging from the hardest to get hired by to the easiest who are at minimum in their late 50's. It's just not true. At all.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@interteach

Utter bunk, do your own research. The number of vacancy announcements that claim "due to immigration rules we can not secure visas for those over 55" or other age.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Just because some countries have that rule doesn't mean people can't find jobs--just not in those countries. You have to know where to look and have something to offer a school.
interteach

Post by interteach »

So in other words you have no hard data.

Thames Pirate is right. You have overstated (as usual) while hiding behind non-existent data that you refer to as if it's received truth.

It's really said that so many people become convinced that international teaching is the world you erroneously describe. You do, however, let people to see just about the worst of it. Too bad you don't care about the best.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Yes it does, thats exactly what it means, it reduces the opportunities available. Even aside from that you generally need to be settled by your 50's looking for a new IS in your 50s can and usually is very frustrating.

@ interteach

I only post from experience and reliable resources, and yes actually have hard data.
I care about the data, and the data is significant that older ITs have a far more difficult time finding employment in their 50s and older.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Yadda yadda yadda data. Blah blah blah data.

Funny how you never actually provide any or point to any.

Your insistence that you are correct is substantiated solely by your insistence.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@interteach

Nor are your claims self authenticating, because you dictate them to be so. Do your own research.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Like the 65 year old colleague who found a job and had another offer within days of starting his search because he knew where to look and has a lot to offer a school? This will be his third contract after age 55. You only need to be settled if you want to be in a country that has those restrictions.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames pirate

Like that one time at IE camp, when no one would hire the 55 year old IT because reasons. This is why I rarely use absolutes, because there is always the exception, and the IT who knows someone who heard about this one time when whatever the issue is turned out to not be right, that and someone also wins the lottery. Im more concerned with the general shape of the curve that represents the data, not the tails or artifact.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

It is still a data point and only one example of mine. Interteach also has similar data points. You say only data matters, but this is data. You just want to dismiss it because it doesn't match your hypothesis.

Is it harder as you get older? Sure. But nowhere near as hard as you make it sound.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

I rarely put much validity in the value of a point sample. My data is incongruent with your data. It is irresponsible to reach conclusions in the absence of date, one resorts to fitting data to ideas, and not the hypothesis to data.
Im happy to change my mind when significant valid and reliable data is demonstrated to support that position, but so far I have many more data points that do not support your position.

It is nowhere near as easy as you make it sound.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Psyguy's posts make sense when you replace the word "speculation" for "data" in them. Really.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Haha! They really do!

Anyway, we have gotten surprisingly off topic because PG likes to make things into a last word contest (seriously, scroll down and see how many of the threads have the most recent/final post as PG. It's probably 2/3 of all threads. He even just told us what kind of thank you cards to use so he could have the last word). Just let him contradict us and be done.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@interteach

Try replacing data with cupcakes. @Thames Pirate usually has to have the last word. If 2/3rds of them are mine, the other third are theirs.