Some questions about Teach-Now for those in the know

cms989

Re: Some questions about Teach-Now for those in the know

Post by cms989 »

That's for non-U.S. citizen. For Americans you do not need to be a resident of Florida or have a job at a school
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@traveler26

If you have the coursework and the teaching experience, all you need to do is take the assessments. This is on page 1 of the citation you provided under "Eligibility Based on Teaching Experience", you do not have to complete an EPP/ITT program, as its just one pathway option to do so.

FL requires residence and appointment placement for non-US Citizens in which case they provide a letter of elegibility which isnt a credential, but you do not need to meet these requirements if you are a US citizen.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

@ al295801

I am interested in Teach-Now. Did you start it? Feedback?
Old Republic

Post by Old Republic »

I think TeacherReady is better.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I am currently doing the Teach Now program and can honestly say I have found it very helpful. I think that as I was teaching before and then took a hiatus to work in another industry, it is great for preparing me again for the classroom. It has given me a lot of new strategies and I have used a lot of web 2.0 tools that I didn't know about.It is very 'busy work' in comparison to an academic qualification like an MA or PGCEi.

I do have a question though about certification. I am about to start my clinical and have 2 job offers I am considering. One is a mid-range school and will have me teaching across four subjects and the other is a third tier and will have me teaching only English (but is in a better location). I aim to qualify as a Social Science teacher and would be teaching that in the mid-tier. I presume that the English gig would only allow me to teach ELA or ESL?

So, at the third tier school, I would gain an initial English licence and as I have a BA and MA that could get me a Social Sciences licence through D.C. correct? Would I then be qualified to teach ESL/ELA and SS? How would the gaining QTS work? Do they (NCT) only recognise one subject area? Can you choose?

Cheers in advance.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Flashman

I can completely agree with the description of "busy work", they are basically taking a "teaching for dummies" book and stretching it out to meet the contact hours requirements for an EPP/ITT. I also agree that ITs without a strong tech background have a better understanding of how to implement a digital hybrid classroom.

Usually Literature (ELA) and ESOL arent combined, but in third tier it could be anything. There is a general understanding that any lesson to CALP deficient students is in part a language lesson.

You would not be getting an initial (entry grade) credential after Teach Now you would be getting a standard (professional grade) credential.
Your academic preparation (degrees) has nothing to do with what endorsements you can add. They are all obtained by passing the appropriate PRAXIS subject matter test and relevant PRAXIS PLT exam. So if your EPP/ITT subject area is "English 7-12" (Literature) than to add a credential in "Social Studies" you would need to pass the either the middle school social studies 4-8 PRAXIS content exam (5089) or the Social studies 7-12 PRAXIS exam (5081) or you could do both and have combined credentials for social studies 4-12. In addition you would need to pass the PLT (Principals of Learning and Teaching) 5-9 (5623) for middle school social studies or the PLT 7-12 (5624) exam for social studies 7-12 or both of them for social studies 4-12.
You could also add middle school English (Literature) by taking the appropriate exams. For ESOL you would have to take the requisite ESOL exam and any of the PLT exams. You need only take the relevant PLT exam once, so if you wanted to add social studies 7-12 and ESOL P-12 you would take the 5081 exam for social studies and the PLT 5624 exam for 7-12 and then the ESOL exam but wouldnt have to retake the PLT exam.

Once you have the DC standard (professional grade) credential you complete the online registration for QTS. The process takes maybe 15 minutes and the processing takes a week or two. QTS is technically not grade or subject specific, but you will be endorsed through the TCL in up too two fields. If you have more than two eligible fields you can choose which two.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

@PsyGuy.

Yeah, that is what I thought regarding picking up my D.C. credentials (basically, take the Praxis and you're good). My thoughts were I would probably prefer to take up a position at a less demanding school while completing my TN and licence and apply for better schools next year.

As you do your first credential with TN in whatever you do your practicum in I was worried I would be limiting myself to ESL. Great to hear that TCL award endorsements for two subjects. So I could do the ESL placement along with the relevant PLT and then add SS by passing the Praxis Middle School (5623) ESL (5621) & SS (5089). Then voila! I would be able to get QTS as an ESL & Social Studies teacher. In the meantime, I could use the utility of my 4-year D.C licence then add endorsements in the future and then select which two I would like to carry over into QTS at a later date.

Many thanks for the knowledge.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The higher tier IS provides better utility than a lower tier IS. You really are just guessing on which is going to be less demanding. Four preps in second tier IS thats well organized could just as easily be less work than teaching English in a third tier IS with really low Language learners.

Literature and Social Studies make a great complimenting combination, those would be my choices.