Newton International School Qatar

Newton International School Qatar

Postby kulped » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 am

I have recently been contacted by the school with a view to employment. It is a new school and the only information I have is via their website. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this new school? Thank you
kulped

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:04 am

Newton International School

Postby the Hippo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:42 am

I am currently working at Newton International School in Doha, Qatar. if you would like to know more about this school, please send me a PM.

Postby kulped » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

Sorry I was late in replying. I took another job in malaysia instead and am back home on holidays. I was scanning the reviews and I am sorry I missed your reply.
kulped

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:04 am

Postby aphid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 am

Hippo,

I would be pleased to know more about this school, please - good and bad.

Is it a good school to work in - happy staff, etc?
Is it well run and resourced?
Are students happy and motivated?
What is Doha like for a family? (I have two 2 teenage children)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Newton International School

Postby the Hippo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:58 am

Dear Aphid, You will find quite afew interesting little snippets about Newton on www.qatarliving.com and even more on www.justlanded.com, so read these first and then e-mail me. My e-mail address is simon_hill81@hotmail.com, as unfortunately you can no longer send PMs on this forum.

Postby aphid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 am

Many thanks for your reply.

Hmmm. Enough said.

Makes for interesting reading. The volume of comments is overwhelming - this in itself is a concern. On the whole they don't reflect well on the school and its management. Clearly there are a wide variety of issues that remain.

Qatar

Postby scribe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:42 am

Your nationality matters a great deal when bringing children into Qatar if you plan to have them attend the school at which you teach. It would be very difficult to bring western children into a school like Newton I would think. It is a small, proprietary school and likely not many native English speakers among the students. Also, no matter the school, depending on where you are coming from, teens will have quite a transition to life here. There is not as much freedom for teens as in the U.S, mostly due to lack of transportation and entertainment venues - going to malls is fine once in a while, but gets old. There are cabs and they are fairly reasonable, especially if kids split fares, but it adds up on a teachers' salary. The larger schools have more activities for students -sports, clubs, music, and drama, but that still leaves most weekends and evenings to be filled. On the plus side, this restricted life style does make for a close parent/teen relationship, which is nice for those last few years one has them at home!
scribe

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:18 am

Postby aphid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:09 am

Many thanks for your comments and insight into the local lifestyle.

It matters very much how my wife and 2 children (all English) would settle wherever we may move to. My kids will be 13 and 16 were we to come to Qatar but from what I have read there are far too many negatives to make this a viable proposition.

Qatar

Postby the Hippo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:34 am

For half of the year, the weather is absolutely lovely. For the other half, it's as hot as Hell and you just have to stay in your air conditioned apartment, your air conditioned shopping mall or your air conditioned car. Even going for a walk is an unpleasant experience when it's around 40 degrees C.

Newton News?

Postby the Hippo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:04 pm

How is Newton these days? Are the new staff settling in happily?

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest