Best International School in Singapore

sanaanddaddy

Best International School in Singapore

Post by sanaanddaddy »

Am thinking about exiting Japan and heading possibly to Singapore. What are the best international schools in Singapore?
overseasvet2

Singpore

Post by overseasvet2 »

Singapore American School
United World College

Have heard favorable things from people who've worked at the Canadian school. Not such good things about a school that has "Family" in its name.
sanaanddaddy

Post by sanaanddaddy »

Thank you

Ive just now actually been asked to reccommend a few schools in Singapore to one of my current student's parents. Big help knowing which schools teachers also prefer

Will add the American school to my list!
PsyGuy

Me

Post by PsyGuy »

Singapore American School, I actually like OFS (Overseas Family School)
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Good luck getting into SAS or UWC, waiting lists are looong.

OFS has a horrible horrible reputation here from talking to ex-teachers (and an ex-admin) who worked there.
Otherwise known as the Other F***** School. Rumours are their lease is up on their campus too.
suddenpaws

Post by suddenpaws »

I know someone who worked at the Overseas Family School, and told some real horror stories about the place in the past few years (so recent). Don't touch it.
PsyGuy

Maybe

Post by PsyGuy »

That might explain things, i was their about 5 years ago.
seashell

Post by seashell »

Worked at OFS 2 years back for 2 years and also formerly worked in Tokyo. Found Singapore to be a nation of borderline zombies intent on groupthink and no culture to speak of except a 200 meter alley near the mosque

OFS is what it is- a good foot in the door to IB for someone young.
An excellent paypacket (I only had 3 years teaching experience when I started working there) but with dodgy insurance and housing allowance. I found the parents to be amazing, supportive and really appreciative. The students were great too, but with 25 a class and full classes in Elem and KG it was too much, but that is S'pore reality.

I think everyone's experience is different at OFS and I was happy to leave both because of some gossip at work that had really hurt me and that I was quite sick of that little island nation. Still really miss the paypacket though:(
Global Teach

Post by Global Teach »

The best schools in Singapore by order of package/reputation/facilities and good education are:

UWC
SAS
Tanglin
AISS
GEISS
Dulwich
Dovercourt
One World
OFS
Nexus
ISS
Chatsworth
PsyGuy

I wouldnt agree

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt agree on the rank order, mine would be:

SAS
UWC
GEISS
AISS
Tanglin
Dulwich
Dovercourt
OFS
ISS
One World
Nexus
Chatsworth
Roundtrip

Post by Roundtrip »

Can anyone tell me if you know of teachers 60 years or older being hired in the schools you were in and share their names? (names of schools, not names of people) haha :)
PsyGuy

Can't say

Post by PsyGuy »

Cant say I've eve seen it happen. Many schools don't hire new teachers once past their 50's. Sorry.
overseasvet2

hiring past 60

Post by overseasvet2 »

So much of this depends on the visa laws of the country and the head of school's attittude. I had a head of school once say to me, "I'd rather have 5 years from a great teacher than hire someone less qualified/effective."

If a school tells you that the country's laws have age restrictions, this is probably true. Keep looking. If you have great recs, excude enthusiasm and energy - you're as good a candidate as any other.

No doubt the options will be fewer but you know you'll be hired by a school that really wants you.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

[quote="Roundtrip"]Can anyone tell me if you know of teachers 60 years or older being hired in the schools you were in and share their names? (names of schools, not names of people) haha :)[/quote]

Yes, ISS did hire a couple nearing retirement age this year. They were ousted from Korea after 15 years because of their age.

....Unfortunately left ISS at Christmas due to not being able to handle the change...and other stuff..
Roundtrip

Post by Roundtrip »

Thanks, Seinfeld. I wonder how old they were. I'm 61 and would really like to go back overseas, however, there are a lot of pluses if I stay here in my teaching job for one more year until 62. That way, I could start drawing my retirement and head over the great waters. Problem is, for each year of age, I'm lessening my chances of getting hired overseas even more.