Anyone in London?

martalin

Anyone in London?

Post by martalin »

Reports?
reisgio

Re: Anyone in London?

Post by reisgio »

I second this. I want to hear all about it. Last year made such an impression on me that I will never go back willingly. Cambridge is a much more teacher-friendly experience both in terms of the hotel accommodations and the general atmosphere, which is more collegial.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Not much of a report for me.

We had sent out expressions of interest to a number of schools across Western Europe. One of those (our top choice) contacted us last Monday requesting an interview before the fair on Thursday (check in was all day Thursday, sign ups early Friday). Another school (this one in Switzerland) also asked to meet us on Thursday. We did some quick research and decided to meet with them as well a few hours later. We declined an invitation from a for-profit school (also in WE) as we are not interested in that model. A school in Central America was on our reserve list and had contacted us before the fair, so we kept them in mind.

We arrived around 10:30 (check in started at 10:00 and our top choice interview was at 12:00). We used the time to put notes and CVs or Ichiros in a few boxes. We also had a note in our box from the only Asian school we were seriously considering inviting us to sign up with them the next morning. We did not have time to respond.

Our interview went well, and they asked what our plan was for the day. We told them about the other interview, and they asked us to cancel it and offered us a job before we could leave the room. We accepted, canceled everything else, and were out of there by 1:30. We have spent the last two days enjoying London, though we did go to our new school's presentation and chat with the few people we met in the short time we were there.

So not much to report from the fair other than that we are going to a top school in an AWESOME city!
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

Disappointing.

Was looking forward to the fair diaries. They don't seem to have happened this year.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@MartElla

There was a strong suggestion by agency reps that candidates not post fair experiences on social media.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Really? I hadn't heard that. Good to know. What about on the paid section? What is the reasoning?
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

Is it ethical for them to be dictating ("strongly suggesting") what other people decide to say and where? They seem to be like Canute trying to hold back the waves. Hard to feel anything but that the days of Search, CIS and ISS are numbered unless they evolve.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Comment

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @MartElla
>
> There was a strong suggestion by agency reps that candidates not post fair
> experiences on social media.
----------------------------------------
According to who? Based on what?
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

It would explain why it has been deathly quiet this year compared to others.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

So would all fair attendees being hypnotized and/or inducted into the Illuminati and sworn to secrecy but I still would want to know more than because PG says so before I gave it any credence.

Fair diaries are always up and down. They used to actually have people who posted on the special fair blogs a few years back. Just because those died I am not going to assume people were censored or bullied into not posting there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

There was a hard pitch that it was prohibited and could lead to a contract being rescinded and a soft pitch that it could potentially identify the IT. The comments were not specific to ISR but online publication in general.

@MartElla

The influence and ISR and other social media access points has grown in recent time. Looking at the language used in contracts by ISS/SA and they are becoming more rigid and employing more forceful language.
Is it Ethical, I believe so, is it best business practice, not in my determination, but its not a perfect world, and the practical 'best' action lies somewhere between the two. Organizations need to survive before they can thrive, and premium agencies are third . contractors for the ISs, you dont survive long if you dont deliver or fit with the needs/wants and expectations of your client. The number of ISs globally shows strong growth, but the majority of that growth is in the third tier, and that means more ISs that want what they want, and whos first priority (as any ISs) is protecting their assets including public perception and image in IE. At one premium agencies has a stronger position to influence best operational practices in IE as they were 'THE' source for introductions in IE. Much as 'online dating' has dramatically changed selection and communication in determining social interactions, so has recruiting. The F2F invitation and introduction 'fair' is no longer the primary pathway of filling staffing needs. The premium agency was a mutual need if ISs and ITs. Now every IS has a employment page on their site, and the proliferation of jobs boards presents multiple avenues of growing exposure for an ISs vacancies.
The 'agency' model has had to evolve to survive in the digital business world, and the agencies are scrapping to hold onto their interest in the business. I no more expect them to fall martyr themselves than I would an IT to fall on their sword.

@WT123

Personal experience and/or trusted resources.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

@PsyGuy. I really do appreciate all the hard work you put into posting and keeping us informed, but every so often you post like Sarah Palin talks.

"The influence and ISR and other social media access points has grown in recent time. Looking at the language used in contracts by ISS/SA and they are becoming more rigid and employing more forceful language.
Is it Ethical, I believe so, is it best business practice, not in my determination, but its not a perfect world, and the practical 'best' action lies somewhere between the two. Organizations need to survive before they can thrive, and premium agencies are third . contractors for the ISs, you dont survive long if you dont deliver or fit with the needs/wants and expectations of your client. The number of ISs globally shows strong growth, but the majority of that growth is in the third tier, and that means more ISs that want what they want, and whos first priority (as any ISs) is protecting their assets including public perception and image in IE. At one premium agencies has a stronger position to influence best operational practices in IE as they were 'THE' source for introductions in IE. Much as 'online dating' has dramatically changed selection and communication in determining social interactions, so has recruiting. The F2F invitation and introduction 'fair' is no longer the primary pathway of filling staffing needs. The premium agency was a mutual need if ISs and ITs. Now every IS has a employment page on their site, and the proliferation of jobs boards presents multiple avenues of growing exposure for an ISs vacancies.
The 'agency' model has had to evolve to survive in the digital business world, and the agencies are scrapping to hold onto their interest in the business. I no more expect them to fall martyr themselves than I would an IT to fall on their sword. "
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Reply

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

> @WT123
>
> Personal experience and/or trusted resources.
---------------------------------------

BS. Where, when and by whom was this pitch made? You weren't at any job fairs so was there an email, a bulletin, a newsletter? Quote it. Post it. I'll happily withdraw my BS.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@shadylane

::giggle::

@WT123

You are ignoring the "trusted sources portion of the previous response. I do not disclose personal sources.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

But if candidates are not notified of the policy, how strict can it be?