Joy Jobs

johnwest

JoyJobs

Post by johnwest »

Congrats to guest9 for her (his?) patience despite the goading.

I also have an account with JoyJobs. I hate their homepage. It looks too random and it hurts my eyes. Once I am logged in, though, it is cleaned up and more professional. It has a wider range of openings than the regular education sites. Yes, it simply links to the job posting pages and lists jobs posted by the schools and other organizations. But they tell you this when you sign up. It also has good advice if you are not an experienced overseas teacher.

I keep telling myself to work on a professional page but I haven't yet. Thanks to the poster who recommends this--I'll give it a whirl. Sometime. :D
Billib

I find all the feedback here helpful

Post by Billib »

I just wanted to add this question. I stumbled on here as I was searching to make sure that Joy Jobs is a legitimate company. Whether it is good or bad info does not concern me, what I want to know is does it exist and is it a maintained site. Sending money over the internet, one wants to know that it is a secure site. From what I can tell on here they are for real but it is their helpfulness or the necessity of their service that is in question. Is this correct?

Signed: proud to be a newbie!
djbambi

Great help

Post by djbambi »

[quote="guest9"]I am wondering if the above poster even read my post. As I said, their job openings can be ascertained anywhere. It is their resume service and web site help that was well worth the $40.00. Igor is more than willing to make changes to anything when he is asked, and my offer to pay him more money is always graciously declined. What the heck do you expect for $40.00 anyway?

As a "newbie" two years ago, his information and service were very beneficial to me, and now as a "veteran" joyjobs is still a good investment.
What's wrong with being a "newbie" anyway? Didn't we all have to start somewhere once upon a time? Lighten up, Dude.[/quote]

I just totally agree with this.It's a great help and they are very efficient when you start and don't know the market and how to '' sell'' yourself and the mistakes you should avoid.Moreover, they are always willing to help, give real good advices from their own experience and are positive, which can only be good compared to what i read most of the time.I highly recommand them when you are new on the market.
Candycane

My 2 cents

Post by Candycane »

I had a friend that was asked by a school posted on Joyjobs to send money to get her working papers started. I told her that it sounded like a scam. She contacted Joyjobs and the ads were removed. The school never contacted her again after she said she wouldn't send the money.

Just like anything else.....you have to be careful.

The current school I am employed at (which is fantastic!) was also listed on there at the same time. Maybe taken from another site, but at least it is a resource that can be beneficial for leads.
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

I used to subscribe to Joyjobs - the thing I liked about it was that it collated all the job vacancies from different sources. This was harder for one person to do a few years ago.

What I found really helpful was the different chapters (available to download as PDF files) on how to get a job in international schools. I found the chapters on the fairs and the interviews really useful.
BRMC

Post by BRMC »

We used JoyJobs and liked the service, even if their website could be better.
corv

joy jobs

Post by corv »

JOY JOBS is well worth it. I found my present job through them, and if I had a question, they would get right back with me. Better investment than the $200 you spend to go to a Search Assoc. fair and then find the schools they said would be there, aren't! Best idea is to get someone who has worked at an Int'l school to give you a reference letter. These schools want to know you can handle being a teacher abroad, with all the challenges.
foreign07work

Post by foreign07work »

Gee whiz, I guess you either love him or hate him! Personally, I researched 2 similar sites, Joyjobs and tieonline, and I found that Igor's language had a current edge to it that indicated he knows whereof he speaks. Only $40, I signed on. He answers all of my inquiries promptly and professionally. A lot of his tips you won't find elsewhere. To wit: "The shine should be on your shoes, not your forehead."
raphael

JOYJOBS

Post by raphael »

is AWESOME for first timers. i would highly highly recommend that you spend the measely $40. not for the job posting, but for the website they will create for you and the very very informative packet they have published. also, they list all the international schools by country so you can check them out from there. i pay my $40 fee EVERYTIME i am back on the job hunt. it is worth it!
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

I have emailed JoyJobs several times and never gotten a response. They do have a lot of centralised information, but good luck at any correspondence with them.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Hi,

I am just wondering whether I should sign up for joyjobs or TIE. Which one is currently the better site for someone looking for their first international job?
Candycane

Post by Candycane »

I think TIE is better. JMHO
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Great. Thank you for replying. Could you elaborate on why TIE is better? I'm just curious about the differences between the two sites.
raphael

TIE vs JOYJOBS

Post by raphael »

a TIE account puts your professional information into the data base where schools can access your information and search for you. TIE posts current jobs and gives you current contact information for international school seeking teachers so you can contact schools listing positions. you can search specific jobs or countries and get a list of openings on TIE. only schools registered with TIE are on the website.

as we all know (or should know if you are worldly regarding job hunting)not all jobs are posted. and of course not all schools use TIE.

joyjobs lists ALL international schools by their country and name, gives a profile of the school and website information. i have used joyjobs to look up schools or locations that interest me and "cold call" the school with my resume. the profile of the school on joyjobs is more detailed even that the search associates school profiles.

joy jobs is not meant to be used for the same purpose as TIE.

someone mentioned that the joy jobs people did not reply to their email. weird, i usually get an answer within a couple of hours...

no, i don't work for joyjobs. i am just a satisfied customer. if i had not looked at joyjobs my first time out as an international teacher, i would not have done as well as i have. great tips for the whole process.

i have never been all that impressed with TIE, frankly. the only people i know who have actually gotten a job through TIE are those who are not going to job fairs, are not picky about where they go, and have the luxury of waiting around for schools to interview everyone else and THEN get serious about hiring people who have not attended the fairs.

seriously, folks - especially first timers: joy jobs is a great resource!
raphael

Post by raphael »

to clarify - joy jobs is not a place to look for current availablities, just a place to get general information about hunting for jobs overseas and to get a listing of international schools in the world.

TIE is a place to look for specifically posted jobs.