New tone in the forum?

specialed

New tone in the forum?

Post by specialed »

Is it me or does the forum seem much more subdued and more about passing on information now? I remember in previous years that this forum had a different feel about it - it seemed more bitter and nasty. It seems like people can disagree more now without being called names. Have those people left?
puka2

Post by puka2 »

I think that the forum was more negative, but it was a chance for folks to ask specific questions and get useful information above and beyond the reviews. There is even less activity and less traffic on the Facebook groups because it is less anonymous than the ISR forum. I have figured out several collegues by reading multiple posts that they have authored on the forum.
I think that experienced folks gleened what they could and then got bored with the banter. I think a few people check in and help newbies for the most part now. I think there is much less traffic overall (including how many people are reading each post). Do you think people are worried about job outlooks and are being less helpful, or are people just not finding what they need?
I would really like to see more positive reviews instead of guessing that the schools not listed on ISR are good!
johnwest

tone of forum

Post by johnwest »

Oh, no! Do you think people can actually figure out who I am? Anyway, thanks for the comments. I thought I was the only one who would say, "Well, it's not reviewed on ISR. I guess if no one feels passionate enough to write, it must not be too bad." Even as I say that, I recognize the lack of logic. My school year ends this week and I will fly out this weekend. Once out, I’ll write a review of my current position. Or maybe I need to wait until my final paycheck is posted? Unfortunately, the review will include true anecdotes that will not be positive. PLEASE! Someone balance it out with a fantastic review of your school!
specialed

Post by specialed »

Here are two of my thoughts, in no particular order. I honestly don't think the vast majority of people post a great to good experience. I also feel that people tend to emphasize other people's failings when they have a bad experience. As I increase in age, I have come to realize that I am far from perfect and that I have made many mistakes and could have handled situations better myself. While I am tempted to slam others in past disagreements (and they may have been more in the wrong than me), I realize that there were quite a few things I could have done differently. I have never seen someone post a review saying that they themselves could have also handled the situation better, and may have in fact made the situation worse. Most of the negative reviews are rants about how bad everyone else is and has the "everybody just picks on me!" mentality. Can this be true sometimes? I am sure there are some really bad situations, but how do you tell the difference between real problems and hypochondriac complainers. I have seen other people post that they can tell who the posters are - I sure can't. I have a hard time telling handwriting apart.

I guess it is just a fact of life that people love to complain (I know I get caught up in this sometimes, but I am not proud of it and have tried to change and accept feedback telling me I'm being a jerk). I almost wish there was a way to have verifiable facts in the paid section. I see the benefit of someone posting anonymously, but it also lets people say whatever they want about anybody, with no checks or balances. It's like gossip, we all know that gossip can turn quite nasty!
IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

Guys,
The reason we post mostly complaints is that we hope the complaints will keep teachers from signing on with horrible schools, which, I think, is the main reason for this site.

I was offered a job with a school in Torreon, Mexico. I checked out the site's reviews on the school and the director. I was happy to see that my concerns about the school and the director's lack of honesty during the interview were proven correct by the 100% negative reviews on ISR.

It's ok to praise a school or the system, but the REAL harm comes when a fellow teacher signs a contract with a school that has no business being in...
the EDUCATION BUSINESS.

So keep the negative reviews coming and leave the hagiographies and ring kissing to the admin types who spy on this site.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Suck up reviews and negative reviews written by someone with an axe to grind are usually obvious. I am very greatful for the warnings, but I would love to see more middle of the road reviews so that I don't have to guess beyond reading between some lines.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Please tell me if I am putting words in people's mouths. Is a good review an automatic suck up and has to be someone from admin/spy? So it almost seems like people assume people should be miserable, if you are not, you are a suck-up and must be an admin spy. As I get older, I realize that some people are just born to hate life. If life isn't bad, they make it bad.

I want to know the bad schools (to stay away from), but I also want to know the good schools (so I can check them out). I don't see how you could possibly know all of the good schools just by word of mouth - same goes with the bad schools. I would love to see more middle-ground reviews, as well as positive reviews on the site. I am not opposed to negative reviews, but these are the norm for the site. That's why I am not looking for more of the same. I want to know where to avoid, but I also want some ideas of awesome schools as well. I guess that makes me an admin suck-up. I want to be happy and have a good experience.
aussieteacher

Post by aussieteacher »

I'm with specialed here. I'm new to the international teaching scene and am full of the enthusiasm of the newbie! I found the ISR site and the overwhelming impression was of negativity. Not just in the reviews, but also in the articles that are on the site. The majority of them focus on problems and negative issues. It would be great to hear some positive stories. It can't all be bad, otherwise no one would do it!
IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

To Specialed:
Why must some sensitive types take all posts so personally?
A good teacher will know a good school because all the good schools have PLENTY of good publicity - word of mouth, great websites, open salary and benefits, etc.
Bad schools are MUCH harder to ferret out as they are usually expert at keeping the bad press from leaking onto their sites or in other publications/forums/formats.

Good schools do not need your help. Us ethe forum for what it is intended, AGAIN: to help teachers from making a 2 year commitment in HELL!

And, by the way, a hagiography is a biography of a saint.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Well it seems like we take two different paths. I look for the schools that would be fun, professional, offer good pay, have good living conditions, etc. You seem to look for bad schools to avoid. To each is own. I don't mind other opinions, other opinions help me learn and see the other side of things.

I'm not feeling sensitive about any of this, I'm just expressing my opinion on what I would like to see the forum to look like. I would like to see a wider range of reviews - not just negative, but I don't own the site. If it doesn't do what I suggest, the world will still move on.
inspiration

Post by inspiration »

By the way, I don't think "great websites" mean anything nowadays. Even bad schools can make great ones if they spend money. And, they may be more eager to do so to hide the inside mess than good schools!
puka2

Post by puka2 »

I don't think all positive reviews are suck up reviews at all.
I wrote a positive review mainly to let the ISR readers know that the Admin everyone complained about had left. I also mentioned continuing problems like over crowding, etc. I was honest.