How were the recent fairs.

Wanderlust

How were the recent fairs.

Post by Wanderlust »

Just wondering what the general vibe at the fairs were, especially the latest ISS. I have heard many people complaining that the fairs had an extra couples only emphasis this year and that jobs were not as abundant as predicted. Did you experience the same?
Mike

Post by Mike »

The fairs are almost dead, we got our jobs via skype in November...this is the future and I love it!!
doublejointeddonkey

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

We also got jobs via Skype before the fairs in North America only a few positions were left after ISS & Search Bangkok at the school we were hired for.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Same story with me too- Skype is my friend.
kimbop

skype is my friend too!

Post by kimbop »

I also found a new job via skype! And that was also before the job fairs! I was barefoot, wearing pajama pants during the interview, and saved loads of money! = )
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Wow. Is the tide turning on how international schools hire? We're looking for a move for the 2010-2011 school year, and it'd be nice not to have to deal with the expense and headache of the job fairs.

I'd like to ask the posters above and anyone else: Are the first tier of schools hiring by skype and phone too? If I want to interview with Shanghai and ASIJ and JIS, etc. will I have to do a job fair?
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

I was hired for my first overseas job before Christmas for next year by one of the "first tier" schools. I only used Skype and a ton of persistence. Nonetheless, ISS still kept my money for registering for their IRC I never attended. To be fair they did make it clear the deposit was not refundable, but it is a crappy policy.
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

In response to the poster asking whether JIS and SAS hired before the fairs, I can say "YES!!"

JIS recruited more than 50% of next year's new hires ahead of the fairs - I think they only had 5-6 spots to fill by the start of the February fairs in the USA. I am not sure they even went to the big CIS/ISS fair that is on (now I think).

Shanghai AS hired a teacher I work with over the phone before Christmas.

I really think the hiring dynamic has changed and more schools will take advantage of technology to recruit outside the fairs, or do most of their recruiting at the early fairs in Bangkok. This will in turn force other schools to follow suit.

Just one last thought - a lot may depend on what job you are seeking.

If you are, say, a Counselor, or teach a subject where there are shortages (such as IB Mathematics, Physics, or Business and Management) then any school will try to snap you up asap as they know you are a rare breed.

On the other hand, if you teach MS Social Studies or elementary (as I do) then you may find they wait, as many schools (JIS is an example) often save these positions for spouses of those hard to find teachers (such as counselors). I hope that all makes sense!! Having said that, I got a job over the phone in November to teach elementary, so you should never die wondering. Once the schools advertise vacancies, apply. Don't wait for the fairs.
cricket

job fairs

Post by cricket »

I think things are changing but aren't quite all the way there, in terms of skype, yet. My husband and I got new int'l jobs in SE Asia this year (coming from S. A.) and although we had several offers via skype before hand we still went to the Bangkok fair. Our top choice was a school that still held fast to the face to face interview.

Loads of schools (especially middle level) were interviewing before the fair but there were still a bunch that said they needed in-person interviews. For example, UNIS in Hanoi and some other high end schools. The previous poster mentioned JIS not having many positions left at the US fairs but they had tons of positions in BKK (as did Shanghai) and we heard back from them right before New Year's that they were figuring out their staffing 'puzzle' and had just posted a position for us. On the other hand, ISKL and Taipei seemed to have filled almost all their spots before the BKK fair.

I think ~ from my experiences and what I've heard ~ that schools are much more likely to do skype interviews and hire at the Bangkok fairs. I was very happy we didn't wait for Boston or SF to get our jobs. It also seemed like a lot of tentative positions weren't available ~ perhaps because of the economy fewer people were leaving their positions.
doublejointeddonkey

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

I was wondering if the Directors did the recruiting agencies a favour... As I was told only 2 positions we left to be hired before the ISS and Bangkok fairs but the Search records were not updated and showed the original amounts going into the fairs in Bangkok.

Some thoughts as to before fair hiring...

There might be these 'super' fantastic educators out there with a god-like reputation (I'm not one of them) and they'll always get hired at about 99.9% of the schools (exception = UN schools, might be nice to verify) via phone and Skype as long as there is an opening for them.

There are also cases of recommendation from one of these 'super' educators which can also help before fair hiring (this happened for me)...

But we all still need the recruiting agencies for their databases for openings...and the very first fair after the Jan 1 (informal deadline) whether ISS or Search is the most important.

There are always openings after this very first fair but the likely-hood of them matching up with you get more difficult because there are so many 'great' educators that will end up with an offer by the end of fairs...('bird in hand' theory)
johnwest

Post by johnwest »

Not only did they fail to update their openings, they also failed to state that they were interested in talking to teaching couples almost exclusively. Now I'm sounding bitter, and I'm one of the lucky singles (?) who left Bangkok with a position!
Constance

You can't skype without a lead - where do they come from?

Post by Constance »

Quote: "But we all still need the recruiting agencies for their databases for openings..."

This must be the $64K question of the day: If, as this thread suggests, skype is the future, then just where are all of the job postings to be found which lead up to the skype interview?

Has everyone registered with the usual suspects - COIS, ISS, Search - and are mining their listings whilst foregoing the fairs, or, are there other sources of job listings out their?
johnwest

job websites

Post by johnwest »

There are many other sources for job leads, but many of them are limited to whatever the school decides to post. Some are pay sites, many are not. They are truly a mixed bag. You can always try them, though: teachanywhere, educatorsoverseas, tes, k12jobs, schoolspring, teachersoverseas, topschooljobs, ibo, liveteacherrecruiting. There are others as well. Most are dot com; a couple are dot org. JoyJobs is another thread on this board. I do tend to like them as they simply capture job openings from school websites and post the announcement with a link to the school's employment page. It's a pay site, though. Best of luck.