Top 10 Schools in E/SE Asia

rickkane

Top 10 Schools in E/SE Asia

Post by rickkane »

I have to say that after spending a couple of hours reading reviews on this site, there seem to be quite a few disgruntled former employees who contribute to the review section.

My wife and I are currently in the process of securing our first overseas placement for our family, but I have to say that the majority of the reviews, even for seemingly fantastic schools, are very discouraging. Even though I know that most of these are provided by jaded employees, they still have a negative impact.

So my question is, for those in the know, what would be your top 5-10 schools in E/SE Asia in terms of overall school experience, package and general living conditions
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

As with any internet message/review board, one must take everything on here with a grain of salt. Very few have a "just fine" experience with a business, then run home to type about it on a message board. One usually only sees the negative and very unhappy who have and axe to grind. Granted that axe may be legit, but most of what is here is negative.

I also try to read between the lines to see if complaints even have basis. For instance, someone complaining about the heat in Oman, humidity in Thailand, traffic in Jakarta, or sexism in Saudi Arabia makes me roll my eyes. How could they not know this would be a factor? I also remember there is another side to the reviews on this site. Heck, I work with people at my school now who HATE my administrators and would gladly bash them hiding behind a keyboard, but a few of them also happen to be p-ss poor teachers.

Anyway, I was just hired for my first job in SE Asia and am THRILLED. I really did my homework, talked with many peers who are in the "international system", had many Skype interviews, and landed three offers before holiday break. My best guess are these are some of the better schools knowing, of course, that all schools are far from perfect:

Hong Kong International
International School Bangkok
International School Manila
Jakarta International
International School Ho Chi Minh City
International School Kuala Lumpur
Singapore American School
Shekou International School
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rickkane

Post by rickkane »

[quote]To the original poster, you're right. The reviews of most schools on the pay-part of ISR are quite bad. Who ever bothers to post positive things? When life is good, not many feel motivated to get on the computer and write a review, just like most of us rarely swing by the principal's office to say how good things are going :-)[/quote]

Understood. While I have basically ignored most of the reviews containing personal attacks (generally on the administration), what tends to strike doubt in me is when "sketchy" practices are brought up, such as withholding pay, bonuses, passports, etc. While I understand that judging character is usually based on a person's point of view, withholding pay would have to be completely fabricated...or true with few exceptions.

By the way, thank you very much for the lists. For the most part, you both have confirmed what I have heard through the "grape-vine."

If anyone has any additions, it would be greatly appreciated.[/b]
JISAlum

Criteria

Post by JISAlum »

For the two criteria you asked about; general package and living conditions, I think you'd get more consensus. Take home pay is what it is. Living conditions are what they are (I agree with the previous poster, anyone complaining about the traffic in Jakarta needed to do their homework).

However overall school experience is pretty much a personal view in many regards. Yes, if you have a bad Administration you'll probably get consensus, but with all these schools on the list their Admin's are pretty good, and if they are not, they're gone.

However the school atmosphere is subjective. I've taught at two of the school's mentioned, and attended one. There were many teachers who just didn't like teaching there. They just expected a 'different' vibe.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I agree with JISAlum, a school experience is too personal to take these type of lists too seriously. They are a good starting point but only that, a starting point. I had a great experience at Vientiane International School, but others counted the days, and it probably wouldn't make anybody's top 10!
JISAlum

SAS

Post by JISAlum »

When working at SAS you had, and probably still do have an incredible amount of resources, completely dedicated teachers and a great pay package. While there I did though encounter overseas vets who were disappointed. It just didn't approximate the overseas experience they had come to expect. Some said it was to impersonal. Some felt that a sense of camaraderie had been lost or never was there. Obviously it was one point of view.

Others didn't like to pressure, and preferred a smaller school atmosphere. When I compare my experience with JIS and SAS, I found that JIS was more the center of the community, there was more a sense of belonging. Again, my experience. I think you might considered the juxtaposition between big and small schools- no matter where you are to be as important.

This is a lot like asking for the top 10 cities to live in. Depends on who you are.
rickkane

Post by rickkane »

You're right. While a top 10 list based on personal opinions will always be flawed to some extent, I've noticed with international teaching that some schools continually are mentioned as top-notch.

For me, I suppose, the living situation may carry more weight than overall school atmosphere. My wife and I are both fairly adaptable as we've both worked in well-run and poorly-run schools, so I'm more concerned with the quality of life and overall experience for my son. I'm well aware of the pollution, traffic and safety issues that most of these cities face. However, in spite of that, some of these schools/living arrangements appear to be an "oasis" in these busy cities.

However, for our first overseas appointment, I may be setting our sights a bit high. We'll see....
bay

Post by bay »

can't believe ASIJ is not mentioned in this list.

also Pasir Ridge/Caltex, whatever they call themselves now.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiration

Post by inspiration »

How about Canadian Academy (CA), Kobe, Japan?
schnurtz

Post by schnurtz »

Manila has worked hard to make their salary more competitive. They are offereing big raises for next year. I work there now and am going to another school on the list posted above next year.
ISManila is a really great place to work. The resources are fantastic, perks are excellent.
steventon

Best in SE Asia

Post by steventon »

If you teach English, I can highly recommend the CfBT project in Brunei. A great quality of life and enjoyable job. Families particularly enjoy Brunei, as no pollution and very safe - extremely child-friendly lifestyle.
old grey wolf

S\E asia - teacher heaven!

Post by old grey wolf »

I am surprised to HK international top the list! They are one of the lowest payigg intl schools in HK (approx $40,000us per year).

Here is my list

ESF Hong Kong - pays well, but can be a little stifling!
Chinese INternational HK
UWC Singapore
Intl SChool Bangkok - but reputation on a downward spiral
Jakarta Intl
Hanoi United Nations

Just my 2 cents worth!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted