winter job fairs newbie questions

lbfhaber

winter job fairs newbie questions

Post by lbfhaber »

My husband and I are attending one of the upcoming winter job fairs. It's our first one and we are excited, but nervous at the same time. We are hoping to land jobs in South America. Our subject areas are math and history.

Should I create a packet with our resumes, etc. to distribute, even though our info is on the recruiter website?

What type of questions do you suggest we ask the head of the school?

Wear a suit?

What about the social hours that are planned in the evening? Do you go? What do you wear? Do the heads of schools ever discuss job placement at that time?

Anything specific we should know about interviewing with school in Latin America?
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I attended my first fair in February and landed a wonderful job in South America. I met a number of administrators on the puddle jumper to the fair who were all very friendly and had some interviewing advice for me. That made me relax.

To prepare, I scouted schools ahead of time that interested me and sent an e-mail expressing my interest, with a cover letter and resume attached. Some responded, some did not. Don't worry if they don't. To take to the fair, I prepared a short handout with a generic cover letter and my resume. At the top of the resume (which I presumed they would be more likely to keep), I pasted a small color picture of myself so they could connect a name with a face.

I also prepared a teaching portfolio. A number of people on the fair sponsor's forum said not to bother, no one asks to see one, but I didn't wait to be asked--I whipped it out during interviews, and feel it really helped me garner six offers (out of the 12 interviews I set up). In it, there were: my resume, yet again; transcripts; teaching certificate; recommendations; sample unit/lesson plans; handout from a presentation at a national conference.

As for clothing, a suit wouldn't be out of place. I don't wear dresses or skirts but wore twill pants, turtleneck, and wool blazer. There's a lot of running around so wear shoes that are comfortable (not athletic shoes).

As for questions, what's important to you? Having housing to myself was important; I'm past the roommate stage of my life. I enjoy meeting/interacting with locals; how easy is it to make friends? You can also ask them to clarify any information on their Web sites that's not clear. Ask about health insurance; is it in-country only, or international? Especially confirm how they handle your visa and work permits.

I attended the social event but am just not a schmoozer so left early.

Good luck, and hope you land a great job like I did!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

The previous replies to your post give you lots of great advice.

However, I can not emphasis more strongly that you HAVE to be contacting schools as SOON as you notice there is a vacancy. Schools are terrified of getting to the fairs and finding that all the best teachers have been employed. So they are using Skype, the phone, EARCOS admin conferences, anything, to recruit ahead of the fair.

It would be depressing to get to your winter fair and discover that a lot of the schools that you were interested in no longer have vacancies.

Just as an example, I know of one teacher who was employed by an international school in Venezuela in late November (ECA, I think). Another person I worked with got a job in Argentina using skype.

I noticed the other day that the International School of Beijng has just listed a heap of vacancies - I know of 2 teachers who got jobs over the phone with ISB before December last year. So I'd bet that a big chunk of the openings on the ISB site will be gone by January.

There will be still be openings at the big Feb fairs; however, send your details to the schools that interest you. You never know, you may get a job at the school you really want, without the hassle and expense of attending a fair.

Good luck:)
JISAlum

Outside fair efforts

Post by JISAlum »

I've begun compiling my own website with all the reference information that has been mentioned. It also has all my contact info; email, skype, twitter, im....as well.

I'm also posting embedded Youtube 'interviews' of both myself and my wife as we go through basic info that might be of value. I send this to schools so they can do prior assessment of us as a couple.

It's a good clearinghouse of information and gives schools a picture of what we can offer, as well as signifies that we're serious about getting a quality job. Having said that I'm going to be interviewing for a Tech Dir position so I'm emphasizing my tech background by doing this.
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

I am wondering if there is a significant number of people who get hired outside of the fairs. I have heard mixed options with some experienced teachers sending out tons of pre-fair resumes that got zero response and schools that say they only do face to face interviews. I would love to avoid the cost of going to a fair but feel I really have no choice. Going to AASSA to try to beat the rush.
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

Trust me when I say that lots of the big schools are not waiting for the fairs. I work at one of the larger Asian schools and was talking to one of the principals today. He was talking about how he was looking to fill a particular position now to, in his words, "beat the other schools to the punch."

I agree that just sending your CV to schools that have not indicated they have vacancies may not be effective, as your CV may not get past the secretary.

However, if a school is seeking a teacher they think is going to be hard to find, then I am sure they will consider a good applicant ahead of the fair.
pikefish

More Newbie Questions....

Post by pikefish »

1. So what does one wear to the social night? Suit? Sport coat and tie? Flip-flops and board-shorts?

2. Do you put yourself at any disadvantage not staying in the hotel with the conference? There are nearby hotels in SF that are $100 night cheaper.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I have attended three different job fairs and haven't stayed in the fair hotel once. The only time I felt put out was in Iowa and it snowed. Certainly there is a convenience factor but nothing that can't be dealt with. The one exception to this would be if you had small children, then staying at the fair hotel would be invaluable.

As for the meet and greets, smart casual would be a good bet. Board shorts probably wouldn't be advisable but certainly a open collar shirt and nice pants would do.

Definitely bring a pile of resumes, copy them on something other than manila so they stick out, staple your picture to the top, definitely wear a suit-maybe something other than black or navy blue so that you are a bit different from everyone else.

My personal experience with a portfolio was that it was a waste of time and energy. We carried them around for two days and nobody wanted to look at them. In most cases there just wasn't time. Now that is my experience and I have read other teacher's experiences where they felt like portfolios were of great help. I guess it comes down to time and energy.

I would start making contact now if you haven't already. This hiring before the fairs start is really beginning to take off and you need to position yourself accordingly. I don't think its a great trend for teachers new to the International scene. I think there is a lot to be said for the job fairs and the experience and networking they provide. Personally I would hate to see them go, though I don't believe they are in any great danger now.

Lots of questions to be asked, for instance:
1. Where will be my housing be?
2. Does the school provide transportation, retirement, health, extended health, utilities etc.
3. How big is the school, will there be opportunities for my kids, what other obligations will I have outside of the classroom.
4. What is the average class size, are classes well resourced.
5. Questions surrounding personal safety.
6. Savings potential and ultimately salary

While nerve wracking I have always found job fairs to be slightly exhilarating. Where else can you dream of teaching anywhere in the world.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

Great suggestions.

We are attending the AASSA fair and are hoping to land our first overseas jobs. Thinking South America may be an easier market f(or teachers new to the scene) that eastern Europe or Asia.

Anyone know anything specific about this fair?
beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

1. The hotel: I stayed at the hotel for my fair and found it was really convenient. However, plenty of friends did not. It is a shame that ISS and Search choose expensive 5 star hotels for the fairs - maybe to attact the administrators who do not have to personally foot the bill?

2. Resume: Definitely go with lots of copies. Make sure you also have contact details for your supervisors going back 7-8 years. One school wanted them at the fair. I would not recommend stapling your picture to the resume - show you are tech savvy (even if u are not!) by inserting it electronically into the document.

3. Portfolio: I worked on mine for ages, but was never asked for it. What u need to do is try to use it as you answer questions. Don't wait to be asked for it. For example, do u use rubrics as part of your assessment? "Yes, I do" - then show them an example from your portfolio. Try to have some examples of your work that you can use for obvious questions.

4. Meet and Greet: my memory is that smart casual is the way to go for the social function. Go easy on the alcohol;)

I don't remember much about my interviews - however, the following seemed to come up a lot. It might be useful to make sure you can talk about these areas:

a. Skills and qualities you bring to the school. This and the 'tell me about yourself' often get asked (sometimes at the sign ups)
b. Philosophy or approach to assessment
c. Use of technology (comfort level with technology)
d. Experience working in teams (collaborative skills)
e. Experience of/comfort level with ESOL students
f. If u are new to the scene, why are you interested in moving into international schools? If you are not, why are you leaving your current school?

Finally, NEVER be negative about your current school - especially if it is an international school. Aside from the fact that schools are looking for positive people, everybody seems to know everybody in international schools. It could be that your current administrator is the interviewer's job fair drinking buddy.

Good luck:)
lbfhaber

Post by lbfhaber »

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. We are busy sending e-mails and preparing our resumes for the upcoming fair.

Thanks again everyone!!
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Thanks, everyone.
shadocg

Post by shadocg »

So how did it go in Atlanta? Our friends currently overseas are now headed for South America and happy about it.