AASSA fair

lbfhaber

AASSA fair

Post by lbfhaber »

Is anyone planning on attending the AASSA fair in Atlanta?

Has anyone been to this fair before? Do you remember if any Colombian schools were represented?

Also, did lots of candidates get jobs?

Thanks
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

Yes, I would love to know these answers too. The AASSA website lists the schools that are members but does that mean that all the member schools will be at the fair? If my goal is to work in South America, I assume this is the best fair for me?
stirdaddy

Post by stirdaddy »

Yes, I went to the fair last year and indeed Colombian schools are represented because I am working at one right now (Colegio Panamericano in Bucaramanga). I think there was something like 5 or 6 Colombian schools at the fair last year.

I would say that the AASSA fair is quite productive in terms of candidates being offered positions. At the time, I had zero years of experience in my field (though I am certified, MA, etc), but I still managed to get three offers. Pretty much everyone I talked to was receiving multiple offers.

It's a small fair... maybe 80 to 120 candidates, and that definitely works in the candidates' favor... very congenial atmosphere as well. It's expensive as hell for schools to fly all over the world recruiting teachers -- especially poor Latin American schools -- so it's in their interest to hire teachers sooner than later.

Not all of the member schools will be there, but probably at least 75 or 80%. Yes, if your goal is to work in S. America, you should definitely go to this fair. There are a few awesome schools which are hard to get into (Lima, Buenos Aires, etc), and lots of wee little schools which are desperate for teachers -- they'll hire you in a second.

For me, not having experience, the smaller schools are a great opportunity for me to get experience, wherein I can subsequently move-up in the echelon of int'l schools.

I can answer any other questions if yous want.
lbfhaber

Post by lbfhaber »

Stirdaddy, How is it going in Bucaramanga? Colombia? Do you like the school? Was it fairly represented by the director at the fair?

About the AASSA fair, How many interviews did you have over the weekend? Did you have to make a decision and sign a contract then and there? Where were some of the other teachers hired? Sorry to have so many questions....

Thanks
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

I know that this post is several years old and was wondering if anyone had attended in the last few years. I am planning on attending but did not know if things at the AASSA fair had changed.
Thanks!