Teacher Shortage?

specialed

Teacher Shortage?

Post by specialed »

I just finished reading the TIE newspaper, and in it they discussed the teacher shortage in the international school community. My question is this - Of all the teachers from my school that went to the job fairs, I never heard anyone saying that the schools were "banging down the door" for new teachers. Several of them didn't get jobs (New York comes to mind) at the fair and quite frankly, these were pretty good teachers in fairly high demand areas. I heard that New York was actually very picky and they did not get many interviews. Does this make sense? If there is a shortage of teachers, why are the schools so picky? Is it that the really good schools have an abundance of applications and the others have almost nothing?
scribe

Teacher shortage

Post by scribe »

According to people who were looking to hire at New York - there were 3-4 times as many openings as applicants. Certainly a teacher's market. That being said, some schools walked away only having hired a fraction of their openings. Surveys would have to be taken to determine the reasons for this with any reliability, but for those of us who've been in the circuit awhile, an obvious reason comes to mind: Pay and benefits.
Whereas international school salaries were once typically 1.5 - 2 times stateside salaries (not counting the tax free aspect) in addition to other benefits, now many schools count the tax benefit AND the housing so that they can claim being more attractive than stateside salaries. And the Canadians? Gettng paid in US currency, which so many schools offer, has certainly not been a benefit in recent years. Rather than address the pay question, which most boards are loathe to do, schools have begun to fill positions from markets where the salaries are less than the US in order to fill spots - thus an influx of teachers in American schools overseas that are from Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa.
How long can school boards and directors expect teachers to flood them with applications in markets where the teachers are the ONLY expats from western countries getting paid equal or less than they would at home? In the Middle East, the huge number of expats whose children fill the schools are there because they get such attractive salaries compared to their home countries. Not so for the teachers.
Look at schools which have truly excellent pay packages. They demand high performance from teachers but reimburse them accordingly and they have no difficulty attracting applicants. Many administrators complained about having to compete with Shanghai American School last year for applicants as SAS was hiring so many teachers and offered such attractive pay and benefits. The solution was the directors going back to their boards and demanding to remain competitive. Those that did not had the same complaints this year attracting teachers - oh, but it was the fault of the teacher shortage.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Thanks for the reply.

"According to people who were looking to hire at New York - there were 3-4 times as many openings as applicants. Certainly a teacher's market. That being said, some schools walked away only having hired a fraction of their openings."

That being said, why did they hire only a fraction? We had some really good teachers who said the schools were being picky about hiring. I understand why some teachers may not be as interested, but why do the schools seem less interested? I'm assuming that at the job fair, most of the people were at least somewhat qualified and had decent references. I don't understand why the schools become really picky when there is a teacher shortage.
scribe

Who's being choosy?

Post by scribe »

Again, second hand info - but adminstrators at our school and - according to them - neighboring schools - spent the entire time interviewing, made many offers, and got few acceptances. They claim it was the teachers being choosy. (Obviously your colleagues who had little luck would disagree.)
Our school made many offers, received few acceptances. People's combined reluctance to consider locales that weren't on their radar and their unwillingness (for US teachers - as well as teachers coming from top end schools) to take what on paper looks like a large salary cut resulted in this. Yet despite the inflation in the area, the school's package looks nowhere near as good as it did five years ago, while the teacher's workload has increased - both in terms of student load and additional expectations - like just about every educational initiative someone can sell them.
One gets the feeling that the teacher "shortage" will continue to affect certain areas of the world while schools in China, Singapore, Indonesia and eastern Europe will wonder, what shortage?
specialed

Post by specialed »

You just rained on my parade! The countries/cities you mentioned were next on my list of places to work!

I certainly wish the dollar would get back to where it was a few years ago...
scribe

don't give up

Post by scribe »

Hope you understood the places mentioned have excellent packages - yes, they get lots of applicants, but they are mostly large schools and some - like in China - continue to experience growth. So go for it!
JISAlum

Market changes

Post by JISAlum »

When I last interviewed at UNI it was before 9/11. The dollar was relatively strong. Schools in in the Middle East were attractive for not only their packages but it was seen as a viable destination for many. Europe was more expensive but still affordable.

Now the Middle East is not as attractive to many because of current events. Europe is seen as being too expensive and the overall poor quality of for-profits hurts as well.

The pool of attractive destinations and jobs is shrinking in some ways. Those places like Singapore and Jakarta don't have trouble attracting applicants that might otherwise go elsewhere. Singapore provided a world class education in an excellent facility. Singapore is expensive and to attract excellent teachers, they have to compensate them well. I don't know much about school in Dubai, but it used to be a very desirable job. You could save good money, work in a great school in a safe environment. It doesn't seem that compensation has kept pace with the cost of living. They won't be able to attract the same quality of teachers.

Schools in Riyadh, Dubai and in Europe that might have competed for attention, now can't as their situation or compensation tied to the dollar isn't as competitive.

It's simply the free market working in a way. Those schools that don't compensate well, that treat teachers poorly will not attract applicants.
spasibo

Post by spasibo »

[quote]schools in China, Singapore, Indonesia and eastern Europe will wonder, what shortage?[/quote]

I can tell you that there is also a shortage in Singapore and Indonesia. Some schools don't have to worry about this because there will always be people wanting to work there (read JIS et al), however many middle tier international schools are feeling the pinch. Singapore especially is not as attractive as it once was because of the rising costs, mainly rent which has blown way out.
agricola

pay versus inflation

Post by agricola »

The entire middle east is experiencing extreme inflation. In Egypt, where I am, it is approx 25% this year alone. It has affected everything from the price of chicken to flights out of the country. Our managements response was to increase tuition by about 15%. Salaries? Not a dime more. The attitude seems to be that as long as teachers will sign-up, why bother? From what I have seen over the past few years, the international circuit is in a state of serious decay. The middle career teachers (in their 30's and 40's) are leaving in droves and being replaced by first year teachers and 'double dippers', retired teachers collecting a pension from home who just need enough money to cover green fees in a warmer climate. The schools will survive, but the quality is going to suffer. First year teachers can be great if supported, but the 'double dippers' are too burnt out to bother.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="spasibo"]Singapore especially is not as attractive as it once was because of the rising costs, mainly rent which has blown way out.[/quote]

In the last 90's SAS gave us SG $3500 per month for rent. With that you could find new construction a ways away from the campus with little close buy and you'd need to take the bus or taxi to do anything, or something build in the 70's near an area with something to do. With that amount you could get something that was nice to live in, and made a choice of location or newness.

As long as the school gives benefits that keep teachers in the income class they expect- they'll come.

SAS used to give cost of living payments that allowed you to live well, travel and save.

I don't know if that is true today, nor if Overseas Family or any of the other 2nd tier schools do.
agricola

Income Class

Post by agricola »

"As long as the school gives benefits that keep teachers in the income class they expect- they'll come. "

That seems to be how some schools are rationalizing the fact that salaries haven't changed much in 10 years. "Well, the cost of living is much cheaper than in North America" What they don't mention is that you'll be living like a local labourer if you follow the guidelines they provide, not a middle class teacher.