position accepted is reposted

Doctor

position accepted is reposted

Post by Doctor »

I got a job offer and accepted and the day after that, the position was reposted.
What could possibly be up with that?
Should I contact the school and ask?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

1) They need another IT for a second identical position.
2) Youre their safety choice, if they find someone else, your appointment vanishes.
3) They changed their mind.
4) HR made a mistake.

You should absolutely contact the IS.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: position accepted is reposted

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I agree. It could be everything, it could be nothing (to do with you).

By all means check in with the school to make sure everything is on track to ease your mind (but you may not want to mention that you saw "your" job reposted).
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> (but you may not want to mention that you saw
> "your" job reposted).

Why not?
Not saying I disagree, but for now I can't think of a reason not to mention it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

The rational is how would you see your job reposted unless you were looking at job vacancies, and why would you be doing that if you accepted a job with the IS and are no longer available.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Man has a right to look.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

There are no rights in IE in regards to recruiting.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Heliotrope wrote:
> wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> > (but you may not want to mention that you saw
> > "your" job reposted).
>
> Why not?
> Not saying I disagree, but for now I can't think of a reason not to mention it.
==============
It's totally a personal preference i suppose (and people should always do what they feel comfortable with). Checking in to make sure everything is on track, asking what the next steps are, etc. should get you the information you need (e.g. is the job you were offered/accepted still/really yours). Bringing up that you saw the "same" position posted and need reassurance that you haven't been dumped/aren't being hosed, would feel a little to desperate/presumptuous for me. This is on the presumption that there is a logical reason for the posting of course.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

If it was reposted on the school's website, you could say you were just having a look to see what other vacancies they have. Not for yourself, but just because you're getting to know the school, and seeing how many other new teachers will arrive alongside you is perfectly normal. And you could also say that you're hoping they will also have jobs for some of your friends who are looking for jobs.
Same story could be told even if advertised on Search.

If the hiring was done through Search, them offering you the job (verbally or via email), is binding, as far as Search is concerned (not legally of course). If they don't follow through on their offer, Search supposedly either drops them or penalises them somehow (probably the latter, and probably just reputation damage within SA), although I'm sure Search will come down harder on candidates breaking word than on schools doing the same.

Only way to get a straight answer is to ask the school about the vacancy, other than maybe asking if they have mailed the contract yet, or telling them you're about to book your airplane ticket there for next year already, because the prices are low now.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

You could say a lot of things, that doesnt mean the IS has to accept any of them.

There is no penalty to an IS if they drop or withdrawal or rescind an offer, the "binding" (your word is your bond speech) only applies to ITs. There isnt a penalty, at most an IS or recruiter will get invoiced for the placement, but an IS can typically have the placement credited.

I would agree though, the only real answer that matters is going to be talking to the ISs leadership, everything else is speculation.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I contacted the IS saying I saw you were hiring for my position on TES and they never called me on it. The principal said it had nothing to do with my job but was part of their ongoing hiring, which could be true as there are many jobs posted.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Doctor

So option 1 above "They need another IT for a second identical position.".
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

@PsyGuy
So they say
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Doctor

Give them some time, and ask to contact the new IT for the identical position. If they put you in contact and the other IT confirms everything is on the level, than stop worrying, you wont know anything else until much closer to departure or until your on the ground. If they resist or refuse, than keep looking for a real appointment.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

It also quite simple: they will have to send you a signed (by them) contract. You could ask when to expect it (perhaps saying that you might change address soon'ish). Once you have the contract, there's usually nothing to worry about anymore.

I've always received the contract quite soon after the offer.
Some schools might send all contracts at the same time, but most won't.

Talking to the other IT for the identical position won't help you much I'd say, since what can he/she tell you? He/she is not at the school, and they could have both offered you the same job, dropping one of you later on – you're both in the dark until contracts are signed (or until your plane lands).