Are Singaporeans considered 'International' Teachers?

seansmith

Are Singaporeans considered 'International' Teachers?

Post by seansmith »

I've noticed that some schools request that only teachers from Anglo-Saxon countries apply, due to visa rules. What status do Singaporean teachers fall under? My wife is Singaporean, studied in the medium of English at the top university there, and has only taught using English, including at an international school. Is anyone out there aware of how Singaporeans are treated in the global IS job market, and whether they are easily granted work visas? Any info is appreciated.
sid

Re: Are Singaporeans considered 'International' Teachers?

Post by sid »

There is no global approach. Each school and/or leader will have their own approach.
Visas are usually easy enough for Singaporeans. The trickier part will be navigating individual schools’ approaches and finding one that appreciates diversity. Many do, so you stand a good chance overall.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would concur with @Sid, there isnt a global rule or any authority to say this is and this isnt. Typically, when ISs want English native speakers those are described as US/UK/AUS/CAN ITs. Its usually not a visa issue thats the problem, when it is, what the IS is saying too immigration is that the reason a local cant do the job is because it requires native English speakers, thus they must hire abroad. However, at the IS level its really about what parents want and what they define as "western" and thats the above named countries, but its even more insidious than that. There isnt a lot of racial diversity in IE, its very predominately white/Caucasian. If your Singaporean and white/Caucasian and English is your native language than great you will be fine in IE, if you arent than your likely to experience a lot of frustration.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Sean,

quite honestly, if your wife is a good teacher with a solid track record, it won't matter to some schools. Others it will. You will find out soon enough, but don't let it put you off. There are lots of international schools out there that are very open to being international and having a variety of staff on board.
seansmith

Post by seansmith »

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping the ISR community could respond to 3 more questions:

If it matters my wife is certified to teach, and has taught, middle school Maths and Science. She has also taught primary school Math and Science. Would schools look more favorably at Singaporeans teaching these subjects as opposed to, say, the Humanities or English?

Another concern is that a search of teaching staff of several IS shows that, while they hire some Asian teachers, the vast majority have degrees from western universities and are likely 2nd generation Koreans, Chinese, etc. However, my wife is fluent in English (no Singlish accent lah!), so we figure if she can just get to the interview stage, she has a good chance. Is this a realistic assumption?

There is also the issue of application strategy. I am quite qualified and experienced, if I may be so modest. Should I apply for better schools solo, and then once accepted angle for the school to hire her, or she applies in the teaching market where I've been hired? Or should we apply as a couple, in which case schools may reject both of us if they deem her Singaporean-ness unappealing?

Cheers
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@seansmith

First, Primary Science, Maths and science isnt any more marketable than any primary HRT. Lower secondary Maths and Science is valuable but compared to a Literature/Humanities IT thats marketable to all secondary, especially upper secondary and SLL. Its going to be very situational. ISs dont really have a problem finding ITs who can teach General Science and Pre-Algebra. You also find lower secondary vacancies where one IT teaches a paired subject such as Maths/Science, depends on the grade level, and the subject. If an IS needs a Humanities or Literature IT thats an important need, high demand position 'for them'. Its probably a wash comparing the marketability of the two.

For many ISs it wont matter, what your asking them to do is hire someone who looks like a local or a non-westerner for OSH comp. Whats the benefit to them in doing that.

Second, yes, if you can get to the interview stage. A recruiter/leadership isnt going to spend an hour of their time to give you a pity interview. The problem is going to be getting to an interview. Youve got to get passed screening, which some staff member is just going to sort resumes, and if they see your not from a western region, your application gets binned without even a review. Then you have to get passed selection, and thats where your application based solely on the documents you provide has to beat outt he other candidates for the short list. Why give your spouse one of those interviews for a maths/science IT who cant teach all secondary or a humanities/literature IT who doesnt know western curriculum and doesnt look the part (there are ISs that follow the SG curriculum, which your spouse would have higher marketability with, but most of them are lower tier ISs).

Third, probably your strongest option, assuming your resume is as strong and marketable as you are repping it to be. Assuming it is, I dont see a reason you have to do only one. Apply to ISs with vacancies that your both marketable for in your respective fields as a couple, and apply solo to those ISs youre individually a stronger candidate and then negotiate an appointment for your spouse as part of the package. For high utility ITs ISs will create a position of some type, to close the deal. You may be worth it to them to appoint a non-westerner to make the deal regardless of your spouse ethnic appearance.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Get your wife trained in HS math and then it opens doors. Experience teaching upper level Math opens more.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @SJ, and I would add upper secondary science especially physics as well. Maths/Physics combination vacancies are common.
seansmith

Post by seansmith »

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

We have three Singaporeans at our school and they are all in humanities and arts.