Masters/Questions

datsyukian

Masters/Questions

Post by datsyukian »

Hello,

I have 6 years teaching experience with 3 abroad. I'm back in the States now at a very good High School but am itching to go back overseas with my wife who is also a teacher. I have some questions:

1. I want to start my Masters program and should have my MA in two years. Typically, how much more money will I earn? Do you think schools prefer teacher with Masters degrees or shy away because of pay?

2. My wife is not a US citizen but has a US teaching license (Colorado) and a Master's degree from a US University. She has a green card. Will schools hire her as a foreign-hire?

Thanks.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In reply to your inquires:

1) ::looking around for @Sid::, that depends how long is a piece of string? Some ISs pay very little on their comp scale between bachelors and masters bands, some ISs pay substantially more, and there are a lot of factors that influence that. The region, the tier of the IS, composition of ownership. On average, at lower tier ISs its about 5% increase or less, at upper tier ISs its about a 10% increase or more.
There is a strong preference for ITs with advance degrees, its better marketing for the IS, but it also shows trends. In upper tier ISs a larger proportion of the faculty will have advance degrees, at lower tier ISs its much more common to find a larger composition of bachelors degrees.

2) Lots of ITs have US credentials and degree qualifications who are not Americans, and this is true of many regions regulating authorities.
ISs will consider your spouses OSh or LH and if they are a qualified "westerner" based on her passport and too a lessor degree where she was educated. The green card means nothing.
datsyukian

Re: Masters/Questions

Post by datsyukian »

What is an OSh?
sid

Re: Masters/Questions

Post by sid »

Overseas hire: typically receives benefits like housing, flights, tuition for children. Benefits cover the whole family (usually).
Local hire: salary only, no benefits.
If you’re married, you’ll probably be OSH, so no need for wondering about your spouse’s benefits.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@datsyukian

LH = Local Hire, typical compensation is salary and whatever the local benefits are in regards to social insurance (health, retirement, etc.) and possibly a seat/place for dependent children.

OSH = OverSeas Hire, includes LH (salary, etc.) but also a relocation package that may includes: housing benefit, travel (flights), shipping/shopping/settling allowances, a global or western health plan, seats/places for dependent children, and retirement/pension program. Some ISs also have less common benefits such as a subsidized masters, car loan, etc.

I would disagree with @Sid, if your new IS is in China and your spouse is Chinese for example, its likely her package would be a LH as opposed to an OSH even married and as your spouse. While benefits like housing are typically based on family size regardless of OSH/LH status, its probable the IS would pay for your flights and allowances only for you and not your spouse.