Signing with ISS

radar

Signing with ISS

Post by radar »

I have been doing some research about what recruitment agency to join up with next year and a friend sent me this announcement: https://www.iss.edu/News/Press-Release/Advantage

Seems interesting. Has anyone talked to ISS about what this means?
shadowjack

Re: Signing with ISS

Post by shadowjack »

It means ISS is tired of losing teachers to Search.
shopaholic

Post by shopaholic »

It means they are responding to Search's own solution to helping schools manage applications in a way that will render it unnecessary for teachers to fill out both Schrole and Search profiles.

Here's part of a message Search sent to its candidates in February:

"International schools are now accessible through a simple google search or through social media and many schools are receiving an overwhelming number of emails regarding open vacancies. The result is many of our schools are having a difficult time managing the high number of inquiries from educators around the globe. The answer, for some, was to begin directing candidates to complete an online application either through their school website or through a particular application management system they may be using. I am sure many of you have already had to go through this process in order to apply for a vacancy with one of our member schools. We also understand how frustrating this has been for many of you.

In response to this trend, Search Associates has now launched our own application management system specifically for our member schools. Let me introduce you to “APli by Search Associates”."

The message goes on to explain that APli will be a system that even teachers who are not Search candidates can use to apply.

It seems that Search is designing an application system meant to take on Schrole and make life easier for schools and teachers.
radar

Post by radar »

So it looks like ISS and Schrole are providing a good alternative to Search for both schools and candidates. It'll be interesting to follow and I think I'll register with them next year.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Good luck. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Keep us posted - most experienced international teachers use Search for a reason. But...I can remember when ISS was top dawg and Search the young upstart and where all the top schools were repped by ISS. That was 20 years ago, but still...
shopaholic

Post by shopaholic »

Looking at Search's database now, it seems that they already have the "Apli" application system up and running, and there are schools using it instead of Schrole. I think Search is going to remain the stronger recruitment agency, to be honest.
radar

Post by radar »

I doubt current ISS and Schrole schools would be rushing to join Search. From what I heard, ISS and Schrole won't charge placement fees which is a big draw. I think you're wrong about Search remaining the number one agency. I'll keep you all informed about the process. I'm in touch with ISS and they have advised me to register once the new system is launched in the new school year.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Schrole was originally a spin off from SA, as a application management system that provided more inline with HR than it did with a jobs database for recruiting. SA didnt want to compete with itself for a lower priced product, since all the associates are essentially SA franchises. ISS has a different model, and their boutique experiences can handle growth out of the side shop. Its common for SA to appropriate businesses ideas and expansion that tests itself successfully in the market place.
radar

Post by radar »

shopaholic wrote:
Looking at Search's database now, it seems that they already have the "Apli" application system up and running, and there are schools using it instead of Schrole.

I'd love to know what schools are using it so I can think about applying to those schools directly. Sounds like I don't need to pay Search's fees if I apply directly.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You also don't need to pay ISS' fees if you apply directly. If you are only targeting a select number of schools just bookmark their page, establish a relationship with their HR manager, and keep your ear to the ground amongst friends already teaching at those schools...

Schools don't have to pay Search or ISS if the candidate comes to them through their website. But, ISS seems like it is trying get more schools in - but some one has to cover costs - which means it is teachers rather than schools who will bear that - just that ISS thinks if it signs up a gazillion teachers, it can keep its prices low. (and TBH, Schrole did not impress me in my interactions through its portal).
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Both will let you establish a profile so that when you apply directly youre not typing the same information over and over.

ISs pay a one time annual fee to manage their applications regardless of the number of applications or vacancies, the IS is still paying, its just a different structure.
shopaholic

Post by shopaholic »

PsyGuy, the problem that has arisen in the past year or so is that, while both DO let you create a profile, many schools are now requiring Search candidate teachers to complete a Schrole profile in addition to a Search profile. These schools indicate this in their own Search profile and link to their Schrole app from their school Search profile. So you would create a profile on Search, and then find out that to apply to some schools in the Search database, you had to also complete a Schrole profile. My own Search agent acknowledged this and had no solution except to just complete the Schrole profile. Very time consuming, so it is good Search is trying to create an alternative.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@shopaholic

Thats not a problem for ISs. Thats what they want, because the two services fill different objectives. Schrole is an application management database. SA is a recruitment database. Those applications remain property of the IS, Schrole hosts them. Candidate profiles in SA remain and belong to SA.

The Schrole application process isnt a huge tasking requirement once you have created the profile. Its copy and paste a reference letter, answer a few specific questions and maybe a couple of short essays. Its not much more than sending an application packet by email, and in cases of extra essays, ISs can require them a number of different ways including email, to consider your application. Being registered with SA isnt going to save you those requirements because your registered with SA.

None of the changes in partnership or development of a competing application management system will necessitate a change in any of your "problems". ISs can still require SA candidates to complete a Schrole application and they can now require you to also complete an APli profile. ISs can do anything they want there is nothing stoping them from requiring you to have completed a SA registration, a Schole application AND an APli application, and if they want they can make you do it again on their own Google forms or other online application. They could then send you a 13 page paper application as a PDF with directions that only typed applications are accepted. They can then require you to go to the beach find a sharp stick, and write out the essays in the sand, and take a picture of each one, and then upload the images to LinkedIn (requiring another application). ISs can require you to complete, 3, 4, 5, 6, X number of different application, there is nothing preventing them from doing so.

This has nothing to do with ITs, zero, no one cares how much the application workload consumes an ITs time. This is a revenue generation strategy for agencies to grow more coin by introducing competition in the marketplace for a service that has shown growing demand. It has nothing to do with making applicants lives easier.
radar

Post by radar »

I personally don't have a problem with completing as many applications that are needed to get a job. If it's my dream job and it means I have to complete their own system, then I'll do it. There seem to be a lot of good teachers looking for jobs, and if the first hurdle is to do what my dream school tells me then that's what I'll do. Still love to hear the schools that are using Apli so I can try it out. Or is it too new and no one is using it?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@radar

Its new but its operational, its the level of adaptation that ISs have in regards to tech resources at this time of the year and the recruiting cycle its just not a priority yet for many ISs.