What does 2 years of IB experience look like?

bing1980

What does 2 years of IB experience look like?

Post by bing1980 »

Hi all,

I'm curious as to what 2 years (very specific I know) of IB experience looks like to a potential school when they are looking at resumes? Is it that much better than not having any IB experience at all? Is it that far below someone who has 5 years experience in IB?

I know other factors need to be considered such as years of experience overall, subject taught, and qualifications but I'm still wondering.

Thanks.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: What does 2 years of IB experience look like?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I don't claim to be a first hand expert on the subject but from talking with int'l teachers/admin and reading/posting on related subjects for quite a few years, I would say that two years of IB experience is a lot better than no IB experience and somewhat to a fair amount below someone with 5 years experience. I would further say that if you are talking about secondary subjects with exams, successful experience with graduating cohorts, etc., then the 5 years could be even further above the candidate with 2 years or experience.

I'm people with more first hand knowledge/experience can be more specific/insightful.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its everything, the learning curve for IB is much steeper early in the learning process then begins to plateau out at around 4 years. 2 Years IB experience means you know whats expected of you, you know what your doing and you can communicate in the IB lexicon. If PYP you havent pulled all your hair out wrapping your subject lessons around a UIs theme. For DIP it means you have some exam scores, that support everything above. For MYP it could mean anything depending on grade/year level and subject, but at least you know what the course guidance is, the marking/grading schemes and how to integrate inquiry into a lesson.
Its everything compared to someone with no IB experience (though at SLL/DIP most subjects are very congruent across curriculum).

No experience means getting ITs up that steep slope for two years, their first year they will be pretty hopeless, their second tolerable. By the start of their third year they are average.

After 4 years ITs are thinking IB practice and ethos instead of mentally translating between curriculum. They know what a 6 is without having to convery and scale percentages internally. They think of how essay, and projects and CAS will be integrated into the unit without having to wedge it in between the "other" material they are teaching. They know how the course guide aligns with assessments without having to look it up.

After about 8 years all those tasks are for the most part instinctual/reflexive.

To a recruiter 2 years IB experience means your an IB IT, without it your an IT who needs 2 years of IB training and experience in practice.
A lot of 2nd tier ISs are IB ISs, they typically serve as the bridge between getting out of the third tier and into the first/elite tier, which is why its typically very important to an ITs career progression. You can do it without IB but it typically takes longer at lower tier ISs.
sid

Post by sid »

Two years is very helpful. More is better, but it depends on the teacher how much better. Did you just keep doing the same year over and over, or learn more each year?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Two years at DP gives you results to show you could successfully pilot a group of students through a diploma course successfully. Two years at MYP means either you have drank the kool-aid and love it, or felt poisoned by it. The spin is up to you. 2 years at PYP means you can either do or not do a proper UOI and can either integrate skills in with it or not.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Best descriptive benchmark Ive heard.