Indonesia - savings potential?

vandsmith

Indonesia - savings potential?

Post by vandsmith »

Hi,

Just wondering what savings potential is like in Indonesia? I understand it might vary by region. Also, any insight into what life is like there for expats, specifically married with 1 young (less than 5)? How friendly is the country to live in for foreigners?

I also posted this on the paid side so you can be more specific if you can!

Thanks in advance!

v.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its really like everywhere in Asia, are you the fiscally disciplined type and whats the comp. Its essentially a small number of ISs and then a whole lot of ESs some of them doing EP and EAP programs. If youre at a first tier IS and and reasonably responsible and disciplined you can save better than you can in the west. If not, than your not going to have much coin in the bank, its not hard to spend in Indonesia especially places like Bali.

Its not really worth commenting on anywhere outside of Jakarta since thats where the ISs are. Its basically all the city life of Shanghai or BKK, with the traffic of India, and the weather you would find in the tropics.
ezans

Re: Indonesia - savings potential?

Post by ezans »

I actually live in Jakarta and can speak from experience. There are at least 10 International Schools, maybe more. The savings potential has been fantastic for me. As for Bali, most teachers who have been here for more than several months don't go to Bali because there are much more interesting places to explore with magnificent beaches. I have several friends here working in different schools and they all save money. There are also International schools in Bali, several in Bandung (nice and cool there) and another in Surabaya..of course the pay varies..Jakarta is not for everyone though.
I work with many teachers with a trailing spouse and children. It is very safe here...many expats and activities ..but unlike other large Asian cities..Jakarta has no subways..so traffic is considered to be the worst in the world..and can drive many insane..including myself. Many of my friends who have worked in other large Asian cities say Jakarta is very different than other more developed cities in all pats of Asia. Jakarta struggles with poor infrastructure and is prone to dreadful flooding frequently during rainy season.
Indonesians are wonderful, generous and kind...but Jakarta is not for everyone