Waldorf Schools

bmciarko

Waldorf Schools

Post by bmciarko »

What does the international teaching community (specifically directors and heads of schools) think of Waldorf schools?

Could experience in them (in an international setting) be used as a stepping stone to gaining employment in more traditional international schools? Would they value the experience or be turned off it?
eion_padraig

Re: Waldorf Schools

Post by eion_padraig »

Waldorf schools are pretty niche really in most of the world outside Europe. I suspect the majority of recruiters don't have a lot of experience with them unless they were coming from Europe. I worked in college admissions, so I visited a few US based Waldorf schools and I have a general sense of the style of education. It's a bit like Montesorri schools, though frankly Monetessori are probably better known world wide.

In the US since Waldorf schools are generally (exclusively?) private, a lot of the teachers wouldn't be credentialed. I think being uncredentialed is likely to be a bigger issue for schools or even getting a work permit in a particular country.

Eion
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Either the recruiter/leadership has no clue about the meds/peds/asst until you mention a similarity or they draw a similarity to Montessori edu, or they are one of the cult believers. The latter is extremely rare.

The experience is going to be as valuable as any other DS/IS experience, you can certainly use it to transition from DE too IE, and when moving vertically in IE. Its not going to have the same utility as something like IB experience. Of course moving into an IS with a similar curriculum and ethos would be a marketable advantage.

I disagree with @eion_padraig that a lot private DSs employ credentialed DTs. Many of them are fully credentialed DTs who moved into the private/independent DSs, further while a significant portion of them lack credentials many of them do have certificates appropriate and acceptable within their edu curriculum and system.
Credentials arent the most significant issue for recruiting or even for visas. If a region has a pathway to hire ETs for ESOL, than there is a way to hire and obtain working permission for credentialed ITs. Even accrediting bodies have fairly loose definitions of credentialing and training requirements.