MA post-teacher certification

coin_operated

MA post-teacher certification

Post by coin_operated »

I'm a secondary English teacher currently getting my US teaching certification through The College of New Jersey's Off Site Graduate Program. I'm already considering getting an MA post-certification, but I'm not sure whether I should go through TCNJ and get my MA in Education, or whether I should get an MA related to my field of expertise (English/linguistics/literacy/literature). On one hand, I could just add a couple of credits through TCNJ to up my teacher certification course to an MA. On the other, those courses are expensive and as an EU national I could probably get an online MA in a separate field for the cost of taking those additional courses.

If it helps, my long term goal is to get jobs in top-tier international schools easily. I'm not sure of longer-term goals career progression-wise, so I'm not sure if management or leadership-related MAs would be a good fit for me.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What do you want to do?

A Masters should do more than just get you an increase in salary band or into a classroom. If that is your only goal, than it doesnt matter what or where you get a masters degree from, you can go to Uni. Portsmouth and get a M.Sc in Ed.Ld for £4500 for the full two year course.
Otherwise getting a Masters in Ed.Ld or one that allows you to move into librarian, counselor or Tech.Dir are a better use of your coin.

You stated you want elite tier ISs to be easier, in which case you need to look at an 'Ivy' somewhere. Harvard, OxBridge, Sorbonne, McGill, a degree from a uni with that level of status and prestige is more marketable than anything you study.

The only value an ESOL graduate degree would have over an EDU degree would be if you ever wanted to go back to ESOL at the Uni level.