Resume for International School

lindaloo

Resume for International School

Post by lindaloo »

When a job notice for an international school (American Curriculum) asks for a resume - are they looking for a standard resume (highlighting jobs in reverse chronological order) or since it is an international school do I need a CV? I'm assuming I take it at face value and they mean resume when they say resume, but I'm new at this. Just wanted to make sure I don't make a silly mistake. Any advice you can offer for resume format and cover letter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda
eion_padraig

Re: Resume for International School

Post by eion_padraig »

Usually they clarify and I've seen places listed as resume/CV or just CV. If it's an American system school and they say resume, I'd go with that.

I think the basic stuff applies.

Keep it to one page if you can; two might be okay if you've been teaching for a long time. You probably want it to be chronological. Leave out non-teaching stuff unless it's directly related to a role you might have at school like coaching or some other after school activity (ASA). Hobbies that could conceivably be useful for coaching or running an ASA could be helpful. Although you wouldn't do it in the US, they may want to see your date of birth to know your age. Many countries it's not illegal to ask about it.

Other things you normally wouldn't put in a cover letter that is appropriate is mention of partner/spouse and kids. They want to know these things.

Good luck.

Eion
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

This has been written about extensively in the forum.

Most ISs dont differentiate between a CV and a resume. A CV is your life history, its everything. A resume is a slice of that, particularly in reference to education when it comes to IE. You can to a chronological or functional format but chronological is preferred. When an IS asks for a CV they are really wanting is a resume.

The factors that matter to an ITs resume are what you can teach (degrees, qualifications, credentials), what you have taught (experience, exam performance) and special skills (ASPs, coaching, etc.). Its not uncommon to include demographics such as age, family status, and even ethnicity in a cover letter, etc. Many ISs are asking indirectly when they ask for your passport cover page and photo.