Shekou International School

anlily

Shekou International School

Post by anlily »

I can't find a review for this school on ISR.

Any information about this school would be greatly appreciated!
anlily

Post by anlily »

seriously nobody with information about this school? Not even second hand info?
JISAlum

Here something

Post by JISAlum »

Do a search for Shekou- there's one post. Sup contacted me a month ago. Passed on the basis of the posting. Sounds like a decent school with a director that is questionable. Large turnover.
anlily

Post by anlily »

It seems that there are two schools in Shekou. The Shekou Int'l School and the QSI Shekou. Two different addresses and phone numbers. The one comment about Shekou was about the QSI school it appears. I'm asking about the other one.

Thanks for the response though.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

deleted
Last edited by Overhere on Thu May 08, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kgockley

Shekou

Post by kgockley »

I did much research before I applied to this school. When I met the director, I realized he was a strange ranger. It colored my decision about going to that school. It ranks high on my list of bizarre interviews. He is an ISS appointee and makes me wonder about ISS.
gengrant

SIS

Post by gengrant »

Shekou International School is the better of the two International Schools in Shekou...the other one is QSI...

SIS has been in existence longer, but has a smaller student body...there are many rumors as to why, including that they charge more ($17,000 per year vs. $11,000 for QSI) and that they have more stringent admission policies (QSI seems to accept anyone and everyone).

The curriculum at SIS is more grounded in what would be considered an 'American' system, with QSI's being centered around the Mastery Learning model...

The facilities at SIS have been upgraded...a year or two ago I would have given the edge here to QSI, but SIS has just moved their MS and HS into a brand new building and they have upgraded their existing facilities. QSI has moved their Preschool into a new building, and is in the process of remodeling...but they are still in a five story renovated shopping center...with two elevators that move slow...be prepared to climb lots of stairs at QSI...

The Directors at both schools have issues...I give the edge here again to SIS...the QSI director is two-faced and quick to point the finger of blame at anyone but himself...he finds scapegoats anywhere he can and will never accept responsibility, but on the other hand is quick to take the credit for any and all successes that occur. At SIS, the director can be very strict, but he is also fair and non-judgemental...while I agree with the previous poster that the SIS director can be a bit on the 'weird' side, he does a great job of keeping staff morale up...something I can't say for the QSI director.

Both schools are located in what is deemed the expat ghetto, and unless you make a concerted effort to get out whenever possible, it is easy to fall into the rut of hanging out with the westerners all the time, at school and away from school...

Hope this helps in some small way...

Cheers -n- Beers

:-)