Jordan Social Security Repayment

KateB

Jordan Social Security Repayment

Post by KateB »

Hi! Just registered, and was wondering if I could pick people's brains. :)

My most recent position was in Jordan - I spent 3 years at an IS. Finished this year and moved back to my home country (UK, in case it matters).

I was curious if anyone knows how the Jordanian Social Security reimbursement works. I gave my details to my school - who I assume passed them on to the appropriate government department - and they told me that my payment should come end of December/beginning of January. Which is a bit vague for so much money that I need asap. Anyone know any specifics? Do they process repayments based on when they were given the details? Alphabetically? When do they start the payment process? When should I worry (though, as you can tell, I'm worrying already!)?

Thanks very much for any info. :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would suggest the answer to all your inquires is 'randomly'. This is Jordan, 'Bureaucratic Efficiency' isnt something Ive come to associate with the anything in the Jordanian government.
The way it works is they keep your money and they ignore you. You will never have any meaningful contact with the ministry and the IS will just claim they passed on what they were supposed to and its out of their hands.
KateB

Re: Jordan Social Security Repayment

Post by KateB »

That's not cheering me up. :(

May I ask when you got your payment through?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@KateB

Never did.
Jse217

Post by Jse217 »

Your money is gone. We just moved from Jordan and our employer made sure we were reimbursed before we left. The government is about inefficient as they come.

I hope you have luck, but doubt it.
KateB

Post by KateB »

@PsyGuy

That's sad to hear. Hope it wasn't too much you lost out on. :(

@Jse217

From what I gather, it was literally impossible to be reimbursed before leaving the country - I, and every other leaving IT, was told that we had to send proof of leaving Jordan to the school, so the government could release the social security funds. Perhaps it's different when you leave near the end of the tax year, but leaving in July we didn't have the choice. :(

I am very confused now. :o
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@KateB

No it wasnt very much.
What @Jse217 means is that your IS would advance you the reimbursement and then they would pursue getting it back from the ministry and repay themselves the coin advanced to you. Its much easier to obtain when youre an organization thats on the ground and in country and isnt going anywhere than a foreigner out of country and far away, who the ministry can safety ignore, because there is very little you can do to get your coin. Thats what a reputable IS would do, given the circumstances of the scenario.
KateB

Post by KateB »

Ohhh, I see. :D Well, from what I've gathered over the past couple of days, this was SOP at the IS I was at (reputable when I joined them, and only slightly less so when I left). They were having enrolment issues when I left (intake was down on the previous year), so I imagine even if they wanted to reimbursement staff out of their own pocket, they would've been pushing their operating budget to do it. Based on money owed me x number of staff left, it would've been around £60k they'd be paying out. :o

Anyways, that's besides the point. :) Thanks for clearing that up, PsyGuy. :)
Reu

Post by Reu »

@PsyGuy

May I ask which school it was who short-changed you? Shortened initials or vague hint would do, if you don't feel like naming it in the public forum. :)
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Is it possible the money won't be released until you are of retirement age? In Thailand, I was told I could come back when I was 60 and collect... it wasn't much money though so I'm not too bothered.
KateB

Post by KateB »

No, Jordan's Social Security department requires an exit stamp as proof of leaving the country, and then social security is refunded at the end of that tax year/beginning of the following tax year. I finally received my payment a month ago.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Reu

That wouldnt be appropriate for the public forum.

@buffalofan

Ill let you know in about 20 years.

@KateB

Sometimes randomly works in your favor.
Reu

Post by Reu »

@PsyGuy

That's fair - forewarned is forearmed, but I'm unlikely to apply for any role in the Middle East, so it's just me being nosy. :)