Teacher Visa in Dubai

Forevergrateful

Teacher Visa in Dubai

Post by Forevergrateful »

Hi all,

Need some advice - UK trained, currently teaching Mathematics in South East Asia.

Looking to secure a job in Dubai, BUT I have an Economics degree, my PGCE is in Mathematics.

I have heard from a few friends I won't get a visa....

Does anyone know anything about this? past experiences?

Thanks
:)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Of course you will get a visa.... in economics.... and then be assigned to math courses in your IS. Thats how it works out for some ITs, but technically yes you need to have academic preparation in the subject you are hired for, but if an IS is properly motivated than, than they can make it work.
Forevergrateful

Re: Teacher Visa in Dubai

Thanks,

Do they check anything else or just degree?

I have the academic preparation required for Mathematics, I have taught A Level every year of my career, completed the teaching advanced mathematics (TAM) course and examine A level... >> will all that have influence or is it all down to how badly a school wants to employ me?

Cheers
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Forevergrateful

Coin flip, Ive seen ITs get approved based on the face inscription of their degree and others who needed to provide transcripts/course records.

None of those are academic preparation which is a 360 unit degree or a 120 unit major at 1st degree level in th subject to be taught. Ive seen ITs in fields like "science" and "social studies" who had a general distribution of courses but were really assigned to a single sub-field within those disciplines (the science IT who teaches mostly physics and the social studies IT who teaches mostly economics, etc.)

What were your students scores? Thats what really matters you can be a poo maths IT or standards assessment and if your students get great scores than thats fine. You can be an IT with a lot of experience but poo and your not very interesting to recruiters. So really scores matter everything else is secondary to that.

TAM isnt worth much, IGCSEs and A* is what recruiters get excited about, they wouldnt care much about TAM.

What an IS will do really comes down to motivation. Ive seen an IS draw on a high level . member in China to get an ITs visa the same day. The IT was stuck at immigration and after hours of phone calls an inspector walked to the pre immigration waiting space and added the Z visa to the ITs passport right then and there and then walked them through immigration.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

The visa is not about the school's motivation. Schools in Dubai are inspected by the KHDA (Knowledge and Human Development Ministry). If they deem your preparation inappropriate, they can revoke the teaching visa. Fees and authorization to run a school are set through KHDA, so all schools (except for AS Dubai) have to abide by their rules.
Forevergrateful

@Justlooking

So who grants the visa KHDA or the immigration?

So it's more about preparation rather degree, would you say my preparation is adequate? Will they ask me to sit a test?

Thanks
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Forevergrateful

Immigration grants the visa, KHDA is like Ofsted, they are the Edu inspectorate. They can refer violations and infractions to immigration for investigation and action.
Academic preparation leads to your degree, thats what matters. If you have the credits your fine, they dont consider your A* results or other experiences.

Strongly disagree with @justlooking, its absolutely about the ISs motivation and resources. People with influence know people in KHDA and an IS can expend the applicable resources and avail themselves to those influencers.
AS Dubai is not the only IS that is exempted.