Next Logical Certification Steps?

ZeroK

Next Logical Certification Steps?

Post by ZeroK »

A while back @psyguy gave some good advice about getting certified. I wanted to ask if he or anyone else has any suggestions about how I can best position myself for the future (certification-wise) and what possible next steps I might take in order to achieve something like a standard CA clear or 3rd level NJ.

I now hold a CT provisional (I realize @psyguy discouraged getting the CT provisional, but with my extensive experience I was overqualified for initial).

Question, can I now apply for QTS with that credential?

After QTS (assuming it's possible), is there an option such as NJ or CA that I could eventually move into? I'm now in job-search mode and looking mostly at IE, but I'm also open to DE, but mostly on the East Coast or CA or PNW (i.e., blue states :-)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Leave CT first is the best option. CT is one big time bomb when it comes to ITs, your credential is essentially stalled with a timer on it. You will never be able to transition the certificate to the professional credential without teaching in CT and having a Masters degree.
This is why I strongly recommended the initial and not the provisional credential. The provisional credential is valid for 8 years, and in NOT renewable, the only option is to transition it to the professional credential which you can not do without teaching in CT. The initial credential is valid for 3 years but can be renewed 5 additional times for a total of 18 years, which is more than double the amount of time and in IE, no one really cares about the grade of your credential. You would have had a lot more time with the initial credential than the provisional credential you have.

Yes you can absolutely apply for and receive QTS, and you should, its a brief 15 minute online application and is usually issued within 2 weeks. QTS is a lifetime credential and requires no PD to maintain. You can find the online application here:

http://teacherservices.education.gov.uk ... ecognition

The NJ Standard (Professional Grade) credential is available to you now assuming they accept all of your experience. The credential like all NJ credentials is a lifetime credential and requires no PD to maintain. The issue of course is that its NJ.

The CA CLEAR credential is harder to obtain you need to essentially have a Masters degree and would need to have a ELL endorsement and the only way to do so as an out of state applicant is to have a full ESOL teaching certificate, this is why you have to apply for a certificate outside of CT. CT is an academic prep state, meaning you need Uni courses to add an endorsement and they are 30 hours making it either another Bachelors or a Masters degree. The same is true with NJ, adding the ESOL endorsement would require coursework.
The best option for adding the CA CLEAR credential is applying for the HI Standard (Professional Grade) credential. The benefit is that there is no CRB requirement, and no testing for the initial credential, its just an application and some transcripts/documents. Once you have the standard credential you can add the ESOL endorsement by taking two PRAXIS exams, one in PLT and one in ESOL. Once you have that you can apply for the CA CLEAR credential assuming you have a Masters degree. CA is the gold standard in US EDU, the credential is valid for 5 years but requires no PD to renew
ZeroK

Re: Next Logical Certification Steps?

Post by ZeroK »

Thanks for the reply @psyguy

The reason I went for CT provisional is because I've heard of people getting rejected for QTS based on Initial, and I didn't want to risk that.

I think NJ is then the way to go. Unless there is another state that you think I could get reciprocity and get a professional grade license that won't expire?

Cheers again.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ZeroK

I understand, you will be able to transition the CT credential to NJ so the expiration isnt an issue, you dont need to maximize your time under the CT initial credential.

I cant recommend another route in the US assuming you obtain the NJ credential, but because someone will bring it up, Missouri (MI) offers a 99 year Career (professional grade) credential. My issue with it is that its not any better or less work than the NJ credential, and if you dont qualify for it for some reason the MI initial credential is a headache to transition, and as an IT would not be possible.