Field experience, how to approach potential job

idonteven

Field experience, how to approach potential job

Post by idonteven »

Apologies as this is actually a DE question as opposed to IE, but I value the input on this forum so hopefully people won't mind.

I am doing Teach Now and will start my field experience in August. I noticed the school I will be at has a job opening for a middle school math teacher, which is what I am becoming certified for (I've completed the Praxis Core/Content and am scheduled to take the PLT in October; field experience will finish in November).

In my total naivete of job-hunting, I'm not sure if this is

a) the most obvious opportunity in the world for me to apply for a job at a place I may have an "in" at, or

b) I should avoid applying for this job because it could create an awkward situation during the field experience if they decide not to hire me (my resume is pretty blank and I'm not certified yet, so it seems like there's a decent chance of this).

It's a public charter school (NYC), so I wouldn't technically have to be certified to begin teaching there, although they obviously know I'm on track to become certified.
helloiswill

Re: Field experience, how to approach potential job

Post by helloiswill »

This was a pretty common experience at my last school. Considering the fact that your field experience starts so soon, I think you should definitely apply and probably make a low key in-person check-in too. Your goal the first few days should be to determine who in the school handles the initial weeding-out of applicants. In my past school, it was the Dean of Students, with other administrations it may be the Principal, the Superintendent, or an AP depending on the organization of power in the school. Once you have figured out who that person is, you know how you need to mention your application too (and make a good impression with). Any opportunity working in a school, especially an urban school district like the one you are doing your field experience at, will probably be treated by the administration as your trial run. I'll save you advice on how to schmooze as that mostly comes down to your own instincts and personal style *tongue in cheek*
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont disagree with @helloiswill, its not uncommon for field work to lead to an appointment afterwards. Its an opportunity for the DS to see if you can hack it with very little risk to themselves.

1) It may simply not be as easy as you think, this may be a year 8 position and pre-algebra may be very important for this DS as a charter. Math and Reading are the two pillars of CC so there may be more at stake than just meeting the minimum requirements.

2) The timing may just be off, they need someone now who can start the year and you wont be finished until November, that could simply be too late of a start for them, and its a significant portion of the term for them.

3) You dont say how your field experience is organized? Maybe its more supervised than you think, and hiring you as an intern as opposed to more of a mentoring experience isnt compatible with what they have intended.

4) Its really likely only going to feel awkward for you. I doubt its going to be uncomfortable at this point or even November for anyone on the DSs side.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Update:

I sent an e-mail to the principal and my mentor teacher formally introducing myself. I haven't mentioned anything about a job yet. I asked about arranging a meeting with my mentor to ask some questions (also per Teach Now requirements), the principal replied saying that the teachers will be back on Aug. 28, and invited me to attend a meeting that day where they go over the staff handbook, saying it would be a good opportunity to meet my mentor as well as the other staff members. I thanked him for the invitation and accepted of course.

So now, what is the best way to move forward? Should I just send another follow-up e-mail to the principal saying that I also happen to be interested in a job? Wait until the meeting and bring it up to him there? Attend the meeting and THEN send a follow-up e-mail saying that I'm interested in a job?

Or just apply through the "normal channels" now (recruiter posting online) and don't say anything to them?

Any general advice for the meeting besides being friendly, polite and interested? I've gone over the school's website pretty thoroughly, there's no staff handbook available online for me to view beforehand but there is a lengthy student/parent handbook pdf. I want to show clear interest but am a little afraid of going too far and coming off as a try-hard. For what it's worth, the school has somewhat of a Christian/values-oriented bent, if that affects any of the advice.

Lastly and perhaps most peculiarly...What is the appropriate attire for this sort of thing (I am a male)? Do people typically dress the same way they would during a regular school day? I was thinking just a simple white dress shirt/black dress pants/black tie, but I don't want to be out of place if people are coming in from their summer breaks more casually.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

ASK NOW!!!

If the principal has a vacancy and its a week before DTs are back and cant be any longer than a week longer before students start (and probably less) than your principal is looking for someone NOW. This is not some dating website where you drop hints, and hope that leadership asks you first if you would be interested. Just ask, direct email. "Hi, thank you for responding so quickly. I very recently saw that you were looking to fill a maths vacancy that is still open, would you consider me for the position?".
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

Review the student handbook but dont commit it to memory or anything.

First days are usually work days so depending on the weather a polo shirt and jeans is probably okay, but if you want to wear some khakis and a button down (no tie or jacket) thats probably fine for day one to. You will find out what the dress code is when you get there.

Dont think or worry so much what other DTs think of you, the purpose is to find your inner teacher and bring them out, that means discovering the DT you are not what someone else is or what you think others want you to be. You can very easily over think and over stress this, youre going to make mistakes thats the point, thats why its called field work. As long as no students get hurt and you dont break the law you will be fine. About the only absolute rules for now is never be alone with a student and dont touch a student.
idonteven

Re: Reply

Post by idonteven »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @idonteven
>
> ASK NOW!!!
>
> If the principal has a vacancy and its a week before DTs are back and cant
> be any longer than a week longer before students start (and probably less)
> than your principal is looking for someone NOW. This is not some dating
> website where you drop hints, and hope that leadership asks you first if
> you would be interested. Just ask, direct email. "Hi, thank you for
> responding so quickly. I very recently saw that you were looking to fill a
> maths vacancy that is still open, would you consider me for the
> position?".

Yikes! It just feels so dubious considering:

-I have no teaching experience or even experience working with kids
-I haven't even taken the PLT portion of the Praxis (taken the rest of them though)
-Nobody from the school has met me in person or even knows what I look like (unless they did some serious digging)
-I don't even have a conventional job where I could at least point to a reference to prove I'm reliable and whatnot

It's so little to go off of from their perspective, they have almost no information about me.

That said, I will take your advice and send another e-mail and be straightforward about my interest in a job. I'm just scared that it gives the wrong impression, like I expect to just walk into a teaching job out of nowhere. But I guess as the saying goes, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Do I attach a resume or wait for him to ask?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

That describes most DTs/ITs at the beginning of their career. They dug enough to trust you being around children in a classroom, if they thought you were evil they wouldnt have extended you the field work opportunity. The worst that happens is they say no. Telling you no will mean nothing for them, it will be a minute of their time, the issue is you, and dealing with rejection.
Stop caring so much what other people think and what impression others have of you. You are entering a profession where upwards of 95% of your time will be spent with people who are still dealing with hormones and dont know how to pick their clothes up off the floor. You dont need their likes or them to friend you. You are sounding like the type of DT/IT that is in danger of being easily manipulated by your students.

Make it easy, attach a resume, that way leadership doesnt have to go looking for it.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Maybe easily manipulated by the wrong type of admin/colleagues, students not so much I think. But you have a point.

Can I beg or bribe someone on here to take a thoughtful look at my cover letter/resume? (by bribe I mean actually pay money to) Not sure if that kind of thing is allowed on here.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

I dont review resumes anymore, some of the other major contributors may, you likely dont need any though, your resume is mostly white space. You have no teaching experience so at most you have three entries, your academic preparation (degree) your previous non-teaching experience (one entry that aggregates the bulk of your experience, such as "retail", etc.) and your EPP/ITT program. Whichever one is the strongest list first, and hopefully something you have done either in uni or professionally has something to do with maths.
phallyka

Post by phallyka »

(I've completed the Praxis Core/Content and am scheduled to take the PLT in October; field experience will finish in November).

[url=https://marrelations.tumblr.com/][color=#ffffff]ทางบ้าน[/color][/url]
marieh

Post by marieh »

Fellow math teacher here who also was in the position where I was looking for a job before I was officially certified/had finished my field experience. I have also been privileged to be a part of a couple of different hiring committees in the past few years. If you send me your resume, I'd happily take a look at it for free. ektramath(at)gmail(dot)com.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Thanks a ton marieh, I sent you an e-mail from siemprevuelve(...) @ gmail.com. I replaced my real name and some other info but in retrospect maybe that's overly paranoid, lol.

I already submitted the application for this job, but if I don't get it maybe it will be useful in the future. I have to say I was disappointed to see that the resume application goes through some mysterious "talent evaluation team". I got along well with the principal and was hoping it would go to him. Now I'm afraid it simply won't pass the initial barrier with no job/no certification experience.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

Thats pretty typical, IE is still a bit traditional with the typical pathway of application being a direct resume, though more and more ISs are creating or subscribing to application management systems, this is however the norm in regulated DSs in the US, which has all but done away with the "resume" as a primary application document (outside of Uni fairs), you apply online and it goes to HR or "talent acquisition" or some other working group in HR.
There is however nothing stopping you from emailing your resume and a brief inquiry directly to your campus leadership. This is a charter and i'm sure if a principal wants to they can make things happen with the "talent evaluation" team.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Interesting, maybe I will wait on the feedback and send an improved resume/cover letter to the principal. I'm worried that it will be seen as a nuisance though, I imagine he's rather busy with the school year about to start.

To further complicate matters I sent him an e-mail telling him what a great experience it was meeting all the staff (which was genuine btw, everyone was pretty friendly and helpful). I straight up told him in that e-mail that I was interested in a job and asked if there are any positions he would encourage me to apply for at this juncture (long story, but the reason I phrased it this way was because the job as middle school math teacher, which is still showing up as open on job aggregators, was taken...however there were several other listings for the school, including a "teacher in residence" which seems like exactly what I will be).

He listed several openings that he would encourage me to apply for, and I did. I don't know if he actually wants to hire me or he was just being diplomatic and giving me a list of the current openings. But anyway, my point is that given he clearly knows I want to work there (and that I applied through the standard channels), would it be seen as a negative/nuisance to now send him a resume/cover letter on top of that?