Prospective IS Teacher

Gestaltzerfall

Prospective IS Teacher

Post by Gestaltzerfall »

Hello everyone,

New to the boards (and I'm sure this has been asked a million times before) but I was wondering what the job prospects were abroad for an American with QTS in ESOL. I'm a career change attempter who spent some time abroad with a CELTA and am looking to apply to fellowships or fast track programs. After I earn my stripes in the states, I'd like to go abroad again but I'm uncertain if I'd be any better off than what I already am with a CELTA (but have no issues working my way up the tier ladder and don't have any restrictions as far as where I'd want to go). While I'm mostly looking at programs like the NYCTF (which I'd have to spend much more than two years with) or GMU's Fasttrain, I've also heard of the Teach Now and Teacher Ready programs and were wondering if they are actually legit and if I'd be better off going abroad again first and doing these instead. I wish there was something like the PGCE in the states but as of yet I've had no luck finding such a thing (trying to emulate my European friends) but if anyone else has some suggestions I'd love to hear them!
eion_padraig

Re: Prospective IS Teacher

Post by eion_padraig »

People coming from overseas ESL teaching background don't get a lot of respect from teachers at international schools in general. Often, though not always, it's not seen as equivalent or relevant by the people hiring people. For that reason, I think getting several years of experience in US school based teaching would be good and a mix of having your own classroom and push-in experience would be good.

The way you get your credential doesn't matter really. The issue is do you have two or more years experience teaching in a domestic school before making leap to international schools.

I'm at a school in China that traditionally had plenty of native and very high level English speakers that over time has enrolled more EAL kids even in the middle and high school. The market is changing and there's a need for additional EAL support and teachers who are used to teaching content with EAL students. Schools that have vision are responding to the trend. I'm not sure that the For Profit schools at the bottom are doing this much. From what I hear from other friends in the region, this seems to be going on in Asia in general. So the good news is that when you have that background with teaching in the US, there should be good opportunities in Asia. I don't know to what degree this is happening elsewhere in the world.

There are bottom schools in China where they'd probably hire you with just a CELTA, but you'd not have much luck getting out of those schools without the being credentialed.
Gestaltzerfall

Post by Gestaltzerfall »

Thank you for the help!

Just to confirm, in your first paragraph you are referring to one who would only have something like a CELTA whereas when you discuss the changing environment and opportunities further down you're referring to someone with EAL/ESOL QTS?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If you already have QTS, you dont need a US credential. There are no fellowships that are going to get you credentialed, not without having done something else in the past that makes you eligible for them. There are fast track programs but you dont need them. You can take a few exams and get a MA preliminary credential, which is valid for 5 years of employment, and if you never work in MA you will never use that time up. Aside from that a number of states including DC will recognize your QTS, if youw ant to teach in the States but I wouldnt bother. Id just start your IE career search now.

Teach Ready and Teach Now for certification is legitimate, both have questionable degree credit programs. They will get you credentialed.

However, ESOL is treated like poison in IE, theres just so many unqualified ETs that think what they do at a Hagwon or Eikaiwa is teaching, and in IE its not. Your CELTA is worthless. You probably will have some issues with your experience being recognized, it depends when you received your QTS. However, a US credential and AS experience isnt going to be anymore marketable than BS experience and QTS.

Yes, there are ISs that will hire you with a CELTA, but you have QTS, you already are a professional educator.
Gestaltzerfall

Post by Gestaltzerfall »

Hey Psyguy,

Sorry I think I misrepresented myself. I don't have QTS (my bachelors was in an area unrelated to education) but am looking into programs which would make me so with the subject area of ESOL. But, in checking out the typical job boards, I don't see a lot of demand for teachers licensed as ESOL/EAL educators (of course they're mostly STEM subjects) and was wondering if there is actually a demand for it abroad or if the prospects would only be slightly (or not at all) better than what I currently have as a CELTA holder.

If not, I guess it boils down to either learning a more marketable subject stateside or going abroad again and taking my chances with a much less costly program like Teach Now or Teacher Ready?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Gestaltzerfall

Well you stated in your opening post that you had QTS, regardless, lots of ITs and DTs are teaching in fields that their academic preparation wasnt in.

What job boards are you looking at? TES has 6 vacancies and TIE has 32 (out of 425), these are for professional educators to teach ESOL. Whether its a lot or not is very subjective. ESOL from my experience tends to be in the middle of demand, with most of it coming from lower third tier ISs where host national comprise the student body.

The prospects are horribly, horribly worse compared to the ESOL field, you can find hundreds and thousands of ESOL jobs for low paid, no benefits ETs in a lot of Asian countries, where you cant go down a block without seeing an ES. The metrics generally support the ESOL field in regards to marketability. If youre an ET in a major Asian city, the only reason to be unemployed is you dont want to. Professional ESOL appointments offer more coin than ES appointments, youre going to mostly get the same comp and OSH package as a STEM IT would at an IS, which means a real professional salary, not just getting buy wages and an OSH package that includes flights, housing, relocation allowances, PD allowance, tuition fee waivers, etc..

You dont have to follow such a long pathway to credentialing. Both UT (Utah) and MA (Massachusetts) will give you an entry grade professional educator credential by taking some exams. In UT youd have to certify in English Literature and take one exam. In MA you could certify in ESOL, but youd need to take 2 exams. The UT credential is valid for three years and can be renewed. You cant add addition endorsements. In MA you could add additional endorsements and the certificate is valid for 5 years of employment, and cant be renewed. if you never teach in MA your certificate will never expire, but MA is planing on making some changes in 2020.
Both routes are far more cheaper in coin and resources. You could obtain either of them in about two days total time. One day for the exams (two if you want to space out the MA exams) and one day to organize the documents and get your fingerprints done.

If you still want to inquire about Teach Now vs. Teach Ready and other options try searching the forum or write back.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

You mentioned NYCTF. I did their associated program in Charlotte, NC with TNTP. Three years ago, I was in a similar point in my career as you are now. I'm just now preparing to take my first position at an IS in Asia. You might want to look back through my older posts on this forum to view previous questions I have asked as I have posted sporadically over the past 2/3 years - I imagine you can find some answers to many of your questions that way. Transitioning from ET to teaching ESL at an IS is certainly possible but takes some work if you want to avoid the dregs as your first IS job. Also, I suggest you apply to both TNTP and NYCTF, your options will be much chances will be much better the national program (its still very competitive though <10%) You may want to think about TFA too. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I generally advise against "fellowship" programs for a couple reasons: First, their training isnt that great, its about at the same level of ACP and online programs, its just trying to do too much with to little time. Second, you may end up in a real train wreck of a high risk, inner city DS. Experience that doesnt translate to IE very well. Third, they are very competitive to get into their programs, it looks good on a resume, and is the new thing compared to military service.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

@Psyguy

I agree with you on most of your posts on this forum but I think you're off on this one. I can only speak for TNTP/NYCTF but their training is fantastic. It is very stressful, it's a year and a half long, but you finish the program with a very strong background in classroom management and curriculum development. I think the training is incomparable to online programs. Over the first year and a half I had a coach I met regularly with and was observed multiple times throughout the school year. This was all done in conjunction with online course work, a 7 week training program over the summer, and biweekly seminars during the first year. From what I have heard from participants, TFA is a similar workload. The problem with fellowship programs such as TNTP and TFA, is not that they are over simplified or gloss over details to save time, the issue is that the workload is too heavy for many prospective teachers.

I completely agree with your second point. You almost certainly end up in a "train wreck" inner city DS. I experienced a school shooting my second day teaching, called the police multiple times on my own students, and split up fights between parents in just my first year. However, after working at my school the past two years, I can say confidently that I can teach anywhere, and this has given me a huge amount of confidence moving forward in my career. It also is important to point out that the aim of these fellowship programs is to put talented teachers into schools that have these types of problems. They don't just hand out government funded scholarships without asking for legitimate service.

I'm a little confused on your third point. You wrote that you "generally advise against 'fellowship programs'" because "they are very competitive to get into their programs, it looks good on a resume." I'm not sure why this is a bad thing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but I don't think the competitiveness of the program should deter someone from applying. I think the challenge of getting into the program is proof of its quality - and, as you said, it does look great on a resume. Finally, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it is the new thing compared to military service."
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@helloiswill

I understand we can disagree, having experienced both of them (at least in regards to TFA) I find them indifferent from hybrid Post-Bach credentialing programs. The mentors arent any different than some professor who is more an academic than a practitioner. The online content is essentially the same. Being observed doesnt mean anything, you sit in a corner of the room take some notes, than provide some feedback. Most "mentors" pick something in the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes an then just kind of check out mentally for the 30 minutes in between. Seminars are just another word for classroom coursework.
So yes, Its more than an entire online, but looking at the comparisons such as Teach Ready and more so Teach Now, you get a mentor, and you get classroom time (and they arent the pit of DE).
Im sure you feel you came out highly qualified and prepared, but then again a lot of DTs/ITs come out of their program feeling they can teach anywhere. You basically spent half a year longer and then were sent to the pits of DE, in exchange for about USD$5K-6K.

How much of that is relevant to IE, none of it. The problem is there not handing out very much, a few thousand for 2 years of service (on top of salary) in that kind of environment. You realize you could be dead now after that second, day, that those fights could have left you bleeding out in a pool of your own blood. Avoiding any of that is not an accomplishment, its just a manifestation of statistics, and its not anything applicable to IE. When you are in a DS like that, keeping the cap on the mayhem and anarchy is a very different then juggling IS politics, and social drama.

The negative of those programs is, you apply, wait, and more than likely dont get accepted. Thats wasted time, you could have completed half if not an entire ACP program in that amount of time, and the probabilities of being accepted are highly against you.

Its not proof of its quality at all. Sorry, to say while you got in, and thats great and cheers, cheers, well done. The reality is that Fellowship programs have a lot of advertising and marketing and they inflate their application numbers by including applicants that would never get into any kind of teaching program. Its like Harvard, or another Ivy can say they admitted only a small percentage of applicants, when in reality they got a LOT of applicants that arent competitive.

TFA and other fellowship teaching programs are now seen as the acceptable alternative by affluent, whites to military service.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

There are many points in your response that I disagree with but I'd just encourage the OP to check out both programs on their own. A fellowship program took me from a cram school (a level of qualification similar to the OP's) to a tier 1 IS in 2 years. Details of certification routes and programs can be parsed and litigated to no end but the professional growth TNTP gave me is the clearest evidence of its value.
MamfeMan

Post by MamfeMan »

The thing about NYCTF (which I did) is that you'll get two legit years of teaching experience, in a vastly dynamic school system, with the benefits that come with being a public school teacher in NYC. That being said, if you are at the wrong school (and you probably will be), it can be a physically and emotionally brutal experience. I do think, however, in the end it will make your CV look much more attractive to an entry-level IS than some of the other options, simply because you'll have some real experience under your belt. And you will undoubtably come out a better educator. It is very, very true: if you can work in that kind of environment, you'll go barn-busters in an IS. You'll feel like you've died and gone to heaven, LOL.

I do agree however, that getting into a good school with just an EAL license can be tricky. My wife's Master's is in TESL, and she's had to claw her way into the EAL departments at each of the school's we've worked in. So it might benefit you to get specialized in LS or elementary, get the in that way, and then switch departments once you get to the school you want.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

This ^
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@helloiswill

Value and experience you thats relevant only for you (and my only direct DT experience with fellowship programs is with TFA). Ive met a number of ETs that ran (literally) from their placement DS because it was described as one of the levels of Hades, and these individuals would not have faced this type of work environment, and could have had full careers in IE.

Fair enough, we disagree.

@MamfeMan

You can get the requisite "real" experience through other routes and pathways, ones not so "brutal".
Isnt "dynamic" really just a euphemism for DSs that are chaotic? Even well run public DSs have their measure of state mandated production tasking.
Isnt it also essentially a Sink or Swim Hazing exercise? Those DTs that get dumped into the likely DSs that have their own SWAT team, and students that dont care about office referrals, dont care about detention, dont care about suspensions (they just get to stay home and play Xbox/PS4). Parents dont have any better tools, and end up running from the DS and edu in general, because it doesnt work out like is did in "Dangerous Minds".
What benefits of being an NYC DT? Are you referring to insurance, or something else like an educator card to Starbucks?
Yes, youll feel like your in Heaven in an IS, but you dont need to see Hades to appreciate Heaven.

Id agree with the LS "in" but ISs need ESOL, as well, its getting the first years of experience in IE/DE that is the problem. One you have recognized IS ESOL experience there is no need to use a side pathway into an ESOL appointment.

I disagree with the primary/elementary pathway, its a saturated field with high competition, and may have little applicable ESOL tasking to the appointment.
Gestaltzerfall

Post by Gestaltzerfall »

Hey everyone,

First of all, thank you so much for all of your input! My apologies for the late reply, I decided to jump ship abroad impulsively for the holiday and left my electronics behind.

I see both sides to the NYCTF argument. I got interested in it due to a number of friends who were previous co-workers abroad being accepted to it and they've said some great things...but other reviews online can be pretty brutal and there's no guarantee they'll keep you after the initial training period (so not a basket I want to put all my eggs in). The appeal for me as far as the program is that I don't think I'll find a greater diversity of cultures than in New York. TFA on the other hand I've had a lot of friends give overwhelmingly negative reviews of and there's a big crap shoot as far as where you are placed.

@Helloiswill,

I've actually had some contact with TNTP. I have already applied to the NYCTF once and got an in person interview but had to turn it down when my funds got zapped. Afterwards other satellite programs of TNTP reached out to me to ask me to apply but the same issue arose at the time (not a problem anymore; now I'm just playing the waiting game).

@Psyguy,

You're right about the postings for QTS in ESOL online. I've found a few but I guess I'm just used to a bevy of opportunities having first worked in TEFL and then behavioral -. I had preemptively checked out board posts regarding Teach Now and Teach Ready, but my concern is there's not many posts from people saying, "Yeah I did this and now I'm successfully teaching abroad" (though I'm sure I could be missing some). They mostly seem to be brought up as a suggestion or by people currently enrolled at the time? As for Utah and Massachusetts, how would you renew the former while abroad and for the latter is it that it never needs to be renewed as long as you're not working in MA (and were you referring to what they have listed as a preliminary credential)?

GMU is now out for me. They were very affordable at $550-ish per credit hour...now they're $770.00. I love how much digging I had to do before that gem was discovered (their website hasn't been updated in awhile). And really, cash is my limiting factor. I'll go to whatever lengths to work my way up it's just that my options are somewhat limited by the 28k I already have in student loans (not too much according to today's interest rates but I went to school during the recession). This makes a lot of career changer programs for me non-feasible because I'd have so much debt I'd be unable to live abroad (or even in America as a teacher for that matter). In that vein am I going about this wrong? Should I be jumping ship again and tackling career development once I'm overseas again? (that's probably a very divisive question)? I enjoyed my time in TEFL; I had/have a passion for teaching those of different cultures than my own...it's just that coming from a teaching family I'd like to have my cake and eat it too (i.e. have that exposure and run my own classroom as well as improve learning outcomes).