Advice on ISs in SE Asia

Ouroboros

Advice on ISs in SE Asia

Post by Ouroboros »

I have been going through the forum and have not found anything that pertains to my situation yet. I would appreciate if anyone could give me advice on what to do to increase my chances of getting hired by an IS in SE Asia given my situation:

I'm currently in my second year as a mathematics teacher at a non-IB American high school (I've taught classes ranging from Algebra I to AP Statistics) and a biology teacher at a nearby community college. I've also tutored other sciences (biology, chemistry, and physics) online and at the AP and college level. I have a preliminary teaching credential for CA, and a provisional license for AZ (both of them covers math, chemistry, and physics). As for my background, I've got a M.Ed, a M.A. in biological sciences, and BSs in Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering (I found out really late that I preferred teaching above all else). I'm currently working on getting a Google Educator level I certificate.

If I want get into a SE Asia IS, what else should I work on? Should I go for an IB certificate (I tried asking the IB but was told that it depends on the school I'm applying for)? a PGCE certificate and maybe QTS? Is applying during my third year just too soon?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont think you need anything else except to work on your resume and application packet. Most ITs end up in SE Asia (especially China) early in their careers. At the end of this year you will have the requisite 2 years post certification experience. Science and maths are relatively high demand areas as long as your not insisting ona tier 1 IS at this point you should be able to find something. The only think you need to do at this stage and this late is look at some job services and Id recommend TIE and TES at this point (will keep costs down and there arent any fairs at this point worth going to for this year).
Ouroboros

Re: Advice on ISs in SE Asia

Post by Ouroboros »

Psyguy,

Thank you for your advice! I was actually planning to apply for the 2018-2019 year. I will definitely look into the TES that you had recommended. On a related note, if I apply directly to the schools' own websites rather than through the IS fairs, must I have letters of recommendation included in the application? and do these letters have to be from the principal of my current workplace ?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Ouroboros

I would also look into TIE, its $39/year.

Fairs or recruiting events are one aspect of premium agencies (Search Associates and International School Services), what they also provide and arguably of better value is their jobs database.

The rule for direct applications is always to follow the instructions in the vacancy posting, and in regard to references you will see a wide degree of variability. Some ISs want references with application and will contact references immediately, other ISs want references right away but will wait to contact them until youve progressed to the interview stage, other ISs will wait on references until various points in the recruiting process.

You dont absolutely have to have a reference from your current HOS, and while an IS will accept other references you should be prepared to explain why one of them isnt from your current HOS. No, HOS reference is usually a red flag for recruiters.
sid

Re: Advice on ISs in SE Asia

Post by sid »

Most schools will say on their website how they prefer you to apply. Follow those guidelines to the letter.
You can often start without letters of reference, but if you make any progress in the process, you'll need them.