American Citizen getting PGCE primary?

molang

American Citizen getting PGCE primary?

Post by molang »

Has anyone out there with US citizenship successfully applied for a PGCE primary program IN the UK (not online) and moved on to work in IS afterward? I understand my options to get teacher certification in the states but I want to see if a British route is at all possible as I'm interested in teaching the British curriculum. I'm not interested in a PGCEi.

I have experience as a public school TA in the states and currently teach ESL in Korea - no experience at British schools or at a proper IS.

I understand how costly going to the UK for a year to complete PGCE would be. Aside from that, however, how easy is it for an American to apply and get into a PGCE program in the UK? Do you need experience observing at a British school?

I have a BA in English from an American college. I want to teach primary school - is the PGCE primary an option for me? Or would I only be able to get certified teaching secondary English?

If any Americans have done a PGCE in the UK I'd greatly appreciate the advice.
joe30

Re: American Citizen getting PGCE primary?

Post by joe30 »

Take my advice - don't do it. Teaching in UK state schools is a soulcrushing grind. I'm dreading my final placement in May.

In terms of entry requirements, most want 10 days observing in a UK state school first. You might get away with 10 days in a British international school, or might not. Or if the course provider is desperate (look for those unis in clearing who still have places a couple of weeks before the course starts) they might take you anyway.

The bigger problem is just about everywhere wants to interview you in person. Skype has only been an option at one PGCE course I've seen (Exeter, though I've no idea if this is still the case). It's a big financial risk to fly to the UK interview for a single course given the acceptance rate is around 1 in 3. I only got onto my course because some places happened to become available while I was already visiting family in the UK, and so was able to go interview in person.

In terms of visas, you could get a student visa with relatively little problem. You'd have to pay international student rates, which can be high (up to around £15,000, plus you won't get any student loans like home UK students).

You could get onto a PGCE Primary course with your BA, no problem. With Primary, your undergrad degree can be in any subject.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Absolutely, there is no barrier to a US citizen getting a taught PGCE, and obtaining NQT status, completing induction or obtaining QTS. I wouldnt recommend it though, you will be fine getting the PGCE and you will get NQT QTS, but the problem is your going to have a hard time once your student visa ends finding a DS to do your induction year if your area is anything except maths and hard sciences. There isnt a shortage of primary (KS1/2) DTs. The shortages in primary are in financially nonviable locations where the MPS wouldnt afford the basics of living without a spouse or family to support you.

The cost of a taught PGCE isnt horribly expensive, about equivalent to the average for a Uni post-bach program in the US.

Admission is very non-competitive in general, theres a Uni in the UK (well England) that will admit just about anyone with a bachelors degree who can pay the fees. Of course this is relative, OxBridge is going to be considerably more selective than say Sunderland or Nottingham, but youd find increased selectivity at Harvard or an Ivy as well (and between the two OxBridge would be easier to get into for a PGCE than Harvard would for a Ed.M, since there is no PGCE equivalent or Post-Bach certification program).

Your PGCE year will provide opportunity to work in a UK DS, some Uni more than others. You dont need any going into it, the other students will just roll their eyes behind your back when they talk about predicted grades, etc.

You can do the PGCE in primary with a Comp Lit degree. You dont get certified in a particular area or subject like the US, well you do kind of. PGCEs are very very generic. There is little difference between what the course syllabus is for maths as opposed to literature, because your expected to already know your subject material walking through the door of a PGCE, they dont spend a lot if any time at all on remediation of subject material. When you apply to a PGCE program you are applying to a specific subject program though, this is just so that they dont have to find someone who knows everything, a maths PGCE tutor knows the maths of teaching that subject the same for literature or any other subject. The program though is almost exclusively meds/peds and the subject is just the medium your exploring professional education through.
Al that said, the TCL determines and indicates on your profile your teaching subject qualifications, while QTS technically would allow you to teach any subject at any grade a DS couldnt assign you too far outside your subject qualifications without major, major issues.

All that said my observation was that you will have a very difficult time completing your induction year and getting full QTS as a foreigner in primary.
molang

Post by molang »

Thanks to both of you for the info. For teaching in IS outside of the UK, it is my understanding that the induction year is not necessary, yes? QTS only matters within the UK - outside of it, the NQT status I'd get right after completing the PGCE should be enough to get me hired at an IS?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@molang

Not entirely true. ISs want you legal first and foremost and NQT/QTS does that, but the upper tier ISs want full QTS and induction, and even if they dont explicitly state they dont, the utility of induction and QTS increases the marketability of your resume. You can now complete induction at a BSO as well, but in mid and lower tiers its not a strict requirement, though it will also be a deficiency to your marketability. Very little really differentiates ITs, and very small, minor trivial differences often makes the difference between appointments. Induction isnt just about QTS its about having your skills and performance measured against the teacher standards.

Lastly, in regard to credential mobility, there are regional authorities that will not grant reciprocity without induction and full QTS.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

If you have a B. Ed from an English speaking teachers training program in a country outside of the UK is that all you need to qualify for QTS?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@peachestotulips

If you hold professional educator credentials either in the form of a certificate or statutory registration from one of the following: AUS (including NZ)/CAN/USA you may directly apply for and obtain full QTS including exemption from induction. You may also apply if you hold recognized credentials from an EEA member state or hold equivalent credentials from the rest of the UK.

The possession of B.Ed alone is not sufficient in of itself to qualify, unless the B.Ed is solely the recognized credential by the regulatory authority.

Nor is "any" English speaking country recognized, only those listed above, which would not include English speaking parts of Africa, the Philippines, and India for example among others. The TCL gets a number of applications each month for QTS recognition by Eastern European applicants who completed EPP/ITT programs in English, and they are not accepted.

In addition, the credential must be evaluated and rated at least equivalent in to the ITT standards required for QTS.