Is IB more important than AP?

Lmartin106

Is IB more important than AP?

Post by Lmartin106 »

I'm just starting to research a career in international education. I have over 17 years of AP high school math-calculus, algebra, the good stuff. Is this enough to find a job in SE Asia? Or, Do I need to focus on IB Training before applying?

Thanks!
sid

Re: Is IB more important than AP?

Post by sid »

It's good for a start. You'll probably find more schools offering DP than AP, but they're both out there. DP schools are likely to consider you, since AP experience translates reasonably well - you can teach to an exam at a high level of expectation.
I don't know that IB training would be much help before you apply. If a school wants/finds an experienced DP math teacher, training will not help you. If they're open to your experience, training would make little difference.
cattalus

Re: Is IB more important than AP?

Post by cattalus »

I had the same question and experience when I took the jump. I agree 100% with what Sid said. I got hired without it and then went to training, which for me was not very helpful. As another poster says, training never beats experience
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes IB is more important than AP.
It has little to do with the content or meds/peds but that AP is generally seen at the bottom and top of the tiers (ASs with strong reputations and ASs in name only), whereas IB is highly predominate in second tier ISs that often serve as the bridge of an ITs career. You can get there without IB but its riskier, and often takes more time.

IB/A*/Ap however have been construct validated and are highly congruent between one another. If your successful in one, the skills are highly transferable to the others, but Ib is more than a curriculum guide or syllabus, its a cult, with a lot of success dependent of liking their particular brand of Kool-aid, or at least faking it.

Your resume is highly marketable.

The rule is no amount of training equals any amount of experience. Training (and its about USD$800 for an online level 1 workshop) wont help you if against an IB IT even with fewer years of experience. The general agreement of IB workshops (level 1) is that they are more for non-western DTs as an introduction to western meds/peds, a crash survey course of a C&I class. They are generally of little value to DTs/ITs with western professional education training.