Ship it or just bring it in extra suitcases?

thebeard

Ship it or just bring it in extra suitcases?

Post by thebeard »

So my wife and I got jobs in China! It will be me, my wife and the precocious toddler. We get a shipping allowance from our school. I've seen that some people ship things and some people just pack extra stuff in their suitcases. What are the pros/cons of each method? What do people bring to China? (If you're thinking chopsticks I'm one step ahead of you. Already packed)
wntriscoming

Re: Ship it or just bring it in extra suitcases?

Post by wntriscoming »

Ship the stuff you won't need for 2-3 months. Take your necessities in your extra suitcases.

Definitely take:
Sheet sets
good, large towels
over-the-counter medicines for you and your little one
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

The only things you should take with you are:

- Your clothes (because they don't have a lot of bigger sizes available or don't have clothes that accommodate curvy body types), especially shoes (bigger sizes are hard to find).
- Most technology you will use regularly like cameras and laptops (because it would either be lower quality in China or more expensive).
- Medicine like the last poster said.

China's not a third world country (more like 2nd world). You'll be able to get anything else (including towels and sheets) without any issues.
sid

Post by sid »

I vote against sheets overall. Sizes are different and you'll probably end up with a bunch of sheets that don't fit anything.
If your school gives furnished housing, find out if they provide sheets. If they do, those sheets are probably low quality, but they'll do until you're able to buy what you prefer. If the school doesn't provide sheets (or housing), bring a couple old flat sheets that will do in a pinch and plan to buy new once you're in country.
cattalus

Post by cattalus »

We had a shipping allowance to a posting, but found it was more economical to buy rubber totes, ziptie them, and bring them on the plane as excess baggage. The airline we went through charged us $150 per extra item. We ended up shipping 10+ totes on the plane and had no issues (except trying to get them all through customs in smooth fashion) and the allowance covered the cost. We didn't have any furniture so it worked for us as the shipping company route was very complicated, very expensive with a very long wait until we got our stuff
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

cattalus wrote:
> We had a shipping allowance to a posting, but found it was more economical
> to buy rubber totes, ziptie them, and bring them on the plane as excess
> baggage. The airline we went through charged us $150 per extra item. We
> ended up shipping 10+ totes on the plane and had no issues (except trying
> to get them all through customs in smooth fashion) and the allowance
> covered the cost. We didn't have any furniture so it worked for us as the
> shipping company route was very complicated, very expensive with a very
> long wait until we got our stuff

I was considering doing this as well. Do you mind sharing which tote you used?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I've used Sterilite 25 gallon totes to bring stuff checked in baggage several times. They're big enough to store a lot, but you can avoid overweight charges by packing sensibly.

If you don't have bulky stuff, I think this is a pretty good idea. They also are useful for storage in places with lots of humidity as stuff in side is less likely to go moldy.

I agree that sheets are not necessary and probably won't fit the beds. Ikea in China sells pretty good quality sheets (and mattresses for that matter), but places are furnished. Good towels are probably easier and less expensive in Western countries.

Bringing OTC medicine is a good idea. You won't even find stuff like aspirin or ibuprofen or western brands of things like cough medicine.

Eion
cattalus

Post by cattalus »

I bought rubbermaid (or something similar, whatever Home Depot had) 18 gallon totes. The airline had a cubic inches requirement. Anything over that amount would be charged as oversized. I agree they are great for areas with high humidity and just general storage until you get something more permanent.
thebeard

Post by thebeard »

Thanks everybody. Love the tote idea. That is better than a lot of extra suitcases. OTC and clothes since they don't have bigger sizes is a good idea. Thanks everyone!
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

Take shoes too as Western sizes can be tricky to find. We found cereal was very expensive there so if you can pack some of your favourite boxes for breakfasts do so. Ikea has most household things you will need.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I travel lite, checked baggage and my carryon. To start it really depends where your going, and how big of a city your headed too. Id first ask your IS if they are willing to convert all or a portion of the shipping allowance to a shopping allowance. he main difference is that you will have to wait much longer for your shipped goods to arrive, and will have to arrange to have them delivered and possibly picked up, which may and likely will involve customs and possibly (likely) duty as you are importing them (depends what it is). In general to get the best value for your coin, Id ship the things you wont need for about three months and bring the stuff you NEED in extra baggage, since if you dont you will have to locate and obtain replacements until they arrive anyway.

My suggestion list:

1) Medical: You dont know when your health insurance is going to kick in, when youll have a chance to see a doctor, and a lot of other factors. Generally medication is MUCH cheaper out of the states. Have your prescriptions written in their chemical/empirical formulation (Tylenol is not Acetaminophen its Paracetamol). Have your doctor write a letter listing all your medications, dosages, and what you take them for. Have your doctor stamp it with their department of health stamp. Have your optometrist do the same for your glasses/contact lens. If you use contacts research in advance whats available. Some of the newer lenses arent available yet in many places. Having that little white prescription slip, just isnt the same. Some places require a medical examination and blood work for a visa/work permit. Talk with your school about this in advance, some schools will want you to have it done in advance some schools will take you to a clinic when you arrive. Understand that many Asian countries will not admit you if you have HIV or TB (thats the reason for the blood work and chest x-ray). You might want to have a physical before you leave and a letter about any chronic or current medical conditions you have. Im on the fence about vaccinations. Im vaccinated against everything practically, but unless your teaching out in a very rural or undeveloped area (such as a jungle) about the only thing id really recommend is hep a and hep b. If your traveling to Africa you HAVE to have a yellow fever vaccination, even if the area isnt endemic now, you dont know how it will change.
OTC medication, small quantity blister packs are common but expensive compared to what youd pay for a large bottle of whatever it is from COSTCO, the same is true for vitamins. The same is true for prescription medications and you should have your prescriptions written in their chemical name. Tylenol is not acetaminophen but paracetamol.

2) Documentation: Bring AND have uploaded a copy of your contract, work permit, airline itinerary, passport, drivers license (including international driving permit/IDP). You should also have copies of your kids birth certificates and your marriage certificate (as well as their passports and other documents).
If your planing on driving in your new country you might need an IDP. They are only good for a year, but Ive heard people get and pay for 2 of them and just have them dated for subsequent years. That said if your REALLY going to drive you need to get a local license at some point, try to AVOID giving them your USA drivers license as in some countries they find their way on the black market. Your passport is the most important document, and you should register with the nearest embassy/consulate in your area when you arrive. Avoid walking around with your passport, yes you can be asked for it anytime, but the only time you really HAVE to have it is when your going to the bank, checking into a hotel, going to the consulate and registering at the police/immigration office. The rest of the time carry a photo copy of the ID page and your visa page. If you ever get stopped and asked why you dont have the original tell them your very sorry, and you didnt know, but loosing your passport is a time consuming and expensive process, you have to replace the passport AND the visa. Once you get a PR/or alien registration card, carry that with you. Lastly have copies of important banking, including credit card numbers and checking account and routing (ISBN and SWIFT) numbers if you have bills back home to pay or plan on doing a wire transfer.
I would also bring a sealed copy of your transcripts and a notarized copy of your degree.

3) Personal care: So basically unless your really brand loyal to a certain product (shampoo, shaving cream, makeup, razor blade) you can most likely find a local available brand. If your happy with any shampoo for instance you will be fine. When you start getting picky thats when you have problems. Most stores will have one (maybe 2) international brands and unless you understand the language you will recognize them from their packaging. These tend to be the most expensive as well. Some things are just not available (if you use a new razor, you might not be able to find the blade refills), in which case you have to consider the cost of ordering them online or having someone back home send them to you, or switching. Its very impractical except for small things that have a long reuse time to bring enough of something for a whole year (things like soap, shampoo, mouthwash, etc). Ive had several ethnic coworkers who were very unhappy they couldnt get certain hair care products.
Personally, the two things i have trouble with finding are antiperspirant and contact lenses. I use to have a problem finding rubbing alchohol, but then i just bought a bottle of 180 proof grain alchohol and problem solved.
Woman have it harder, guys need like a dozen things tops woman seem to amass a never ending number of bath/beauty stuff (i had a teacher this year who couldnt find a ped egg, (i dont know what that is), but took her months to stop complaining about it). If you HAVE to have proactive or some other very specific bathroom thing, you need to find out if its available and then decide if its important enough to you to order and ship overseas. Lastly, if you ever need to find something the airport may have a shop that carries your specific item, and also try asking or checking at one of the international hotels in your area. Sometimes the concierge can direct you to a supplier, or you may find that a shop in the surrounding area has it. You may also be surprised what you can buy from a hotel directly. I had the hardest time finding frosted flakes and was at a hotel brunch once that had frosted flakes, and then talked to the restaurant manager who was happy to sell me boxes of it (though it was expensive).

On a side note hotels are AMAZING resources. Need to send an international fax, no problem. Need something translated, they can do that. Want to go for a swim, ask about a daily facility pass. Want a bottle of Moscatto, the wine steward can take care of you. Need a haircut with someone who understand English, they probably have a salon, and if they dont have it, they can tell you where to find it. Want to find a certain place, walk up to a hotels front desk and say your sorry but your trying to get to such and such place and they will write the name of the place down on the back of a business card in the local language then write the name of the place in English on the front and show the card to a cab driver.

4) Clothes: It should be no surprise, that you should find out the weather on your region and plan according, (you will not need a lot of sweaters in Singapore, but you will need a light jacket, sweater or wrap. Outside Singapore is hot and humid but INSIDE the air-con is set at 65-70). Some places have wet seasons where everyday you need an umbrella, dont bring one but buy one there. Check or ask about your schools dress code, some schools are fine with casual dress (khakis and shirt), some expect business attire (shirt/tie/jacket). As far as wardrobe stick with one or at max two themes. Blacks and neutrals work well for me., these type of overall themes are easy to adapt with accessories (Its easier to bring one black suit, and 5 ties, then 5 black suits and one tie). Woman have the hardest time with this because they have "outfits" that are composed of individual pieces that dont work with anything else in their wardrobe. Thats a lot of space for one days cloths. I think everyone should have one stunning piece and thats it. Understand that you may or may not have a washer and dryer. You will likely have access to a washer, but in a number of countries they dont use have dryer, you line dry your cloths. As such you should bring clothes that are machine washable, and anti wrinkle or no iron. Plan your wardrobe for longevity. There is little use in bringing 20 pairs of socks, socks are cheap and easy to find. Same thing with button down shirts and other "basics".

The only two things that are must haves are 1) large sized shoes (above a 10) and large cupped bras (above a B) are next to impossible to find in a lot of asian countries. if your loyal (or your kids) are to "American" brand anything like A&F, Aeropostale, Hollister, etc, those brands are not likely to be available locally, or at very high (almost couture) prices.For men and woman definitely bring shoes if you are any size but small, anything over a size 8, and this goes for other clothing as well. Woman who are anything over a B cup (USA) should bring their own bras. As anything larger will either be very difficult to find or need to be special made or ordered, which isnt a horrible idea.
It is very inexpensive to have clothes especially business wear made/tailored in China.
2) Deodorant/Antiperspirant. Asians dont sweat like some Caucasians do. If your one of those people that will soak a shirt in perspiration after 30 minutes in the heat buy a lot of t-shirts when you get there, but bring whatever your deodorant/antiperspirant is. Even if the brand is available locally its likely not the same formula. Most of the stuff you find in Asia is deodorant (it covers up the smell), but isnt an anti-perspirant (reduces the amount of perspiration you do).

5) Electronics: I would bring your high end electronics, laptops, premium mobile phones, SLR cameras, etc. However low end electronics like alarm clocks and hair styling devices can be easily and cheaply purchased in China. Dont bring anything that isnt universal standards and/or dual voltage. Make sure you brink the adapter and a plug convertor. Be wary of other computer devices, most of them will need transformers and things like hard drives could easily short or overload. Things like hard drives, scanners, printers, are affordable and readily available. Of course if you need the hard drive because of the data, then you need it.
Smart phones are a maybe, if you have a GSM phone and can get it unlocked then bring it. If your on Verizon, or Sprint or other CDMA carrier, know that most of the rest of the world uses GSM, and your phone isnt likely to work. Maybe if you have a high end SLR camera, and wont settle for a phone camera bring that (but thats a lot of bulk). Aside from that the only other thing id recommend are an electric razor (if its dual power). Hairdryers and other small electronics are generally inexpensive cheap.
DVD's are a maybe, on one hand you can watch them on your laptop, and there isnt likely to be a lot of English language or American programing. Everywhere Ive gone there has been only a couple channels. That said region 1 DVD (USA) probably wonk work in a foreign DVD player, and an American DVD player (NTSC) is not going to support a foreign video standards. In many asian countries DVDs can be DIRT cheap, like $.25-$.50 each (yeah they are counterfeit), but thats the way it is.

6) Personal Items: I always travel with a very high quality chefs knife, its hand made (I made it) and it almost never needs more than honing (Ive had it sharpened once). Why? I can cook stirfry or pasta and a sauce in any pot, but I cant reduce vegetables or other raw food with a cheap knife that has no edge. I personally would pass on the spices. Ive yet been to any location I cant get what i want, sometimes it takes a while or I just buy from a hotel (pricey) but my spice need are generally basic: salt (some regions have a wide variety of salt) pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary and cinnamon. I do have a weakness for vanilla bean and saffron, but id prefer to buy them local then take them with me.
If there are items you really really are attached to and you can get them in your baggage than fine. Keep it to a minimum though. Try to minimize any valuables such as jewelry, watches, etc. A man needs a wedding ring and a wrist watch. A woman her wedding band, necklace and a watch. Thats it.

In regards to linens, if you bring them because you want high quality sheets, bring flat sheets (the ones without elastic) as opposed to fitted sheets (the ones with elastic) fitted sheets are multipurpose you can use a flat sheet as a fitted sheet by tucking the access material under the mattress. Fitted sheets may basically not fit. Skip the towels entirely, they take up to much room and you can buy them cheaply.
I would not take sheet sets, unless you like really nice sheets, have a strong shipping allowance and your buying them at a discount at somewhere like COSTCO. Avoid fitted sheets as they will likely not fit tight and the water tends to degrade the elastic quickly, especially if you have to line dry. The fix is to use an oversized flat sheet for your bottom sheet and tuck the access material under the first mattress (or mattress topper). Most Chinese western beds are of the European molded foam and coils type on a box, without a box spring. The issue with buying sheets locally in China is that the good high quality ones (400TC) are very expensive, and the poor (200TC) sheets are very poor quality. Either that or someone in your IS knows a source for getting inexpensive good quality linens, might happen, might not.
I would also skip towels. They take up too much space and you can simply buy good ones from a hotel or hotel spa. They will be pricey by Chinese standards but not western costs, or you simply stay a night and take the linens in the morning.

As for pots/pans, im not that much a foodie, but the space they take up isnt worth it, you can get quality items just about anywhere. There is going to be a restaurant supply store that sells cheap but high quality items.
thebeard

Post by thebeard »

Hi psyguy,

Thanks for taking the time to post a thoughtful response. I appreciate it and your advice was helpful. A lot of this seems like commonsense you just have to be aware of it. For example, I know I should have copies of my passport but when you wrote that I was like "Oh yeah I need to do that." Thank you.