How do I tell the kids...if they're toddlers?

thebeard

How do I tell the kids...if they're toddlers?

Post by thebeard »

Hi All,

My wife and I got a job in China and we have a toddler. Does anyone have any advice on helping a toddler adjust? I'm guessing its easier than a middle schooler. (He's okay w/ leaving his friends) He will be attending the preschool at the school we work at. How do you handle lack of car seats and other things? What stuff did you find was helpful to bring? How do you survive the flight? What would you have done differently if you had to bring your toddler again? Any advice would be helpful.
reisgio

Re: How do I tell the kids...if they're toddlers?

Post by reisgio »

Tell them that your family is going on a great adventure with a lot of excitement. This way, if it is good, they are getting excited for it, but if it is bad, at least they know you warned them that it would be an adventure and adventures are not always happy happy 24/7. Especially if what you arrive to is not what you had hoped for keep reminding them that this is an adventure that will come to an end! Being that it is China, it could easily go south fast.
cattalus

Post by cattalus »

The car seat depends how clunky it is. We brought one for my toddler but it is the easily removable kind that secures with a belt buckle. If you don't mind spending the money, you could always buy one there after you get in (a fun first time shopping adventure). My location has a facebook group for expats as well and there are always used ones available. Still it can be an issue, especially if you don't buy a car or have public transportation available and need to take taxis everywhere.

I would suggest loading up on some of the favorite foods if they can be packed tightly. We brought loads of applesauce packets as they were eating 2-3 a day before we left the USA. When we got overseas, we rationed them and they forgot about them in 2 weeks. Obviously favorite and toys are big deal, I ended up buying smaller versions of the bigger toys we had in the USA but we brought a toy basketball hoop and a bike as excess baggage on the plane. It helped them settle in as those were two things that they were very used to. Books too are a big deal. Whenever we take a long trip, we also let them pick out a new toy a week or so before, but they can't play with it until the trip starts.
senator

Post by senator »

Tell them to make sure they wear their breathing masks.

Sew them to their clothes.

That advice is not meant as sarcasm.
thebeard

Post by thebeard »

Thanks Cattalus. Love the new toy idea. Senator I only wish I could sew them to their clothes.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We had a toddler heading to Africa (just turned 3) and we kept everything very simple and concrete. We watched some videos, read some books, talked about Africa. She had her own tub to pack (like her brothers so she had fun putting things in it to bring. Toddlers are still focused on their family--giving up home, friends, etc. is much different for them than for school-aged kids and teens. We didn't have pictures of our house, but we had pics of the school and of other houses that would be similar to ours. We knew we would have dogs and cats so we focused on the cool things that we could do in our new place. Make sure you bring the familiar books, toys, etc. to bridge the transition. The toddler is likely to adapt much quicker than other family members!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would get a car seat there, unless you are taking it on the plane to use on the aircraft. Bring lots of things to keep your toddler busy, hydrated and fed. The flight isnt the issue, its a cake walk compared to the airports. Take lots of breaks and pad your connection schedule. Contact your ISs PS IT and take their advice seriously, they will also be in a better position to put you in touch with other ITs and parent expats with young toddler age children. Id keep everything very simple but honest.