Advice on Growing as a Professional

santacruzin1

Re: Advice on Growing as a Professional

Post by santacruzin1 »

Thanks for the reply mamava! Extracurriculars at this school are a bit of a joke. I do supervise soccer once a week, but there's a company rule that staff and students must leave by 5pm (classes end at 4:15) so that's a significant roadblock to developing it into a good program. I tried to start a speech & debate team too - only had 1 student sign up, and again, 45 minutes once a week is not really enough to have a competitive program. Maybe I'm being too negative though - starting small might be best?

I'll definitely start looking for possible PD in Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

I don't think I've ever heard of a school trying to get people out by a certain time. That's just crazy. I never even knew such a thing existed.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

The school wanting everyone out by 5pm is a great thing - it shows they're respectful of the teachers free time.

OP is working for a pretty decent school, he just doesn't know it.
mamava

Post by mamava »

The leaving school thing is a problem! We had to do it in Saudi, but that was a security issue for us. I would keep trying to find interest...maybe starting lower--upper elementary or middle school? In Vietnam (if that's where you still are) there must be opportunities for volunteering or contributing to the community--orphanages, homes, NGOs, etc. Is there any other staff member that might be interested to share? We have a tutoring system where high schools can tutor MS and elementary students after school--everything from homework help to specific subject support to hanging out and playing games or a sport for social or language enhancement. It doesn't have to be competitive...I'm reaching, but even if it's just something fun (a cooking club, a movie club) that you could sell because your school/community was lacking opportunities like that, or you were combatting a negative culture or fostering friendships, etc. I'm probably grasping, but the ability to sell yourself, your philosophy, your willing to contribute, is key, IMO, along with your actual skill set.

It really is hard if you have a negative or apathetic school culture--teachers and students can end up just buying into that.

Good luck!
santacruzin1

Post by santacruzin1 »

Joe30 - except it's not about teacher's free time; the official company line is, the school grounds are responsibility of the (contracted) security staff after 5pm, and the security staff then require all students off property at that time. Some teachers do stay after 5pm in their classrooms working & haven't been kicked out. 1st semester we ran a student-teacher soccer match, which we were ordered by the company to cancel due to running past 5pm.

It's a bit obnoxious to say I am working at a good school & just don't know it when everything I've said or asked in this thread ought to have lead you to believe you and I are very different people who want very different things from our jobs - and that's fine, we can agree to disagree, unless one of us starts saying the other person's desires are invalid, which is what you have just done. Maybe this is the ideal school for you - but not for me. I mean really, I asked how to grow as a teacher and your response was, basically, don't. Not helpful.

Mamava - yeah, some of those are a bit of a reach - but thanks for taking the time to respond & throw out some good ideas! I also hadn't mentioned yet that I have 7 preps, all secondary (from year 7 to year 10). That limits how much I can do outside of class while still maintaining my sanity. Although the cooking club is an idea I hadn't thought of - I used to be a restaurant cook during & for 2 years after college and I would certainly enjoy running something like that. I also hadn't thought of connecting with an NGO - certainly something else I can look into. Thanks again!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

This is a difficult one to answer, mainly because I disagree with so many prior contributors. The reality is no amount of PD or conferences or workshops is going to make up for a terribly unproductive IS experience. Those things are icing and sprinkles on the cupcake, but you have to have a decent cupcake, or else its just frosting in a cup. If your really in a situation where those things matter, you can always alter your resume to suggest or say you did those things anyway. Outside of something like an IB workshop, most conferences and PD events just give you a self printed certificate on generic stock, and thats if they give you anything at all.

My advice is to pull a runner assuming you can get a new appointment at a better IS. You already have an excuse for doing nothing this year, and you can ghost a year doing anything without any loss of utility to your resume.

If you didnt do that @joe30s position wouldnt be horrible. Everything that matters is going to be how you spin the experience and you might as well use that time saved handing out worksheets and text readings composing the pitch.
Walter

Post by Walter »

I love this one, Dave. Your scriptwriters just get better.

In response to "Advice on Growing as a Professional":

"My advice is to pull a runner assuming you can get a new appointment at a better IS. You already have an excuse for doing nothing this year, and you can ghost a year doing anything without any loss of utility to your resume.
"If you didnt do that @joe30s position wouldnt be horrible. Everything that matters is going to be how you spin the experience and you might as well use that time saved handing out worksheets and text readings composing the pitch."

Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I thought professional educators actually cared about children...
santacruzin1

Post by santacruzin1 »

Pulling a runner - I don't know if it's that bad - I get paid on time & there's no illegal or immoral things happening at the school which would justify cutting and running, despite what I might fantasize about on a bad day. Not only that, but how can I expect to land at a better IS if I'm pulling a runner; either I tell them I am (non-starter), or I say I'm a 1st year teacher (also a non-starter for getting a job at a good school).

As far as just going on autopilot with worksheets & videos, how is that good advice for a 1st year teacher who asked to how to genuinely improve? Isn't actually becoming a good teacher (and being able to convince a recruiter/HOS that I am) better than merely being able to convince a recruiter/HOS that I'm a good teacher?

I can BS with the best of them. I'm asking how I can back up that BS, while in a school that is not supportive of such efforts in its teachers - assuming that is possible at all.
sid

Post by sid »

I recommend you ignore PG on this one. He knows a fair amount about some things (not so much as he thinks he knows), but his attitude towards life and work are incomprehensible to those of us who believe in the innate goodness of mankind and the inherent value of a job well done.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

In certain ways semi-dysfunctional schools can offer more growth opportunities than well established schools. For example, they often experience more churn or have difficulties attracting qualified folks. For a relatively new teacher like yourself you can turn this to your advantage by sliding into roles (AP/IB instruction, coordinator positions, etc) that at a more established school you would not receive.

At the very least you can focus on developing your skills in the classroom. Another relative advantage of poorly organized schools is that you often have free reign in the classroom to explore different pedagogy and be more experimental in your approach. Sure, you could get away with just handing out worksheets, but that benefits no one, and particularly yourself.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Walter

Youre old fashioned and still dont know anything.
If only professional leadership cared about ITs, we wouldnt need this site or this forum.

@santacruzin1

@Sid is also in leadership (with an agenda) and if everything was as they declare, this site and its countless reviews would not exist. Further our membership already has a unicorn.

Im not advocating pulling a runner, now this minute, Im advising that you take a look around. You got where you are without very much of a resume and very late in the year. All Im suggesting is that you look around at what opportunities are possibly available. Going to a better IS even if not a great IS is better than where you are and if nothing better comes up, just stay where you are and make the best of it as you can. Theres very little risk with a lot of potential upside.

Well because those worksheets and videos and text readings are going to free up your time to do other things. Steel meet Stone; you only need to do enough not to get dismissed. Other than that nothing your reference says is going to make much difference. An artist whether a chef, a painter or a teacher is only as good as their materials and tools (and a poor artist blames the tool). You arent going to become a good IT working with what you have, where you are now, and all the conferences, PD, etc. is little more than a distraction. You cant show me poo and ask how to make it into fudge. What you ask just isnt feasible where you are at. Smart people recognize and change as variables and factors are fluid.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hahaha, the sound of heavy splashing as Dave rows back furiously...I find it quite bizarre that you and Joe 90 would have the temerity to contribute to a thread entitled "Advice on Growing as a Professional".
@santacruzin 1 Like many international teachers, I served my time in the state sector in my own country and then went abroad. My first school was pretty dire - like yours seems to be - but in my time there, I continued to learn the craft of teaching. Even back then, handing out worksheets and readings would have been seen as pretty shameful conduct for a teacher. I also spent time getting to know the students - time I'd never really had back in the state sector - and I suppose the pay-off is that half a dozen of those kids are still in touch with me thirty years later. Dave's idea that, because these kids are in a crap school, you have the right as a so-called professional to serve them crap is, frankly, revolting. The kids you are working with are worth just as much as the kids in the highest tier schools anywhere in the world.
And don't think that because your school is poorly run, you can't learn anything from the administration. Learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do. My advice is that you do your absolute best for the kids in your care, keep your head down, leave when it suits you and with a reputation for being a good professional. Get the recommendations you've earned (one of these should come from a parent whose child you've helped) and move up the ladder to a better school.
I'm sure that Dave and his small tribe of ne'er-do-wells will scoff at that advice and say it's self-serving admin talking, but if you want to make a worthwhile career in international schools you're better off ignoring the losers in our profession.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Fully agree with Walter! I have found, when faced with crummy admin or other job frustrations, that focusing on the kids has kept me sane. They will say and do things you will carry with you forever.

If you can't do anything official to pad your resume, you could always try running clubs that look good--MUN, student paper, service club, etc. This gets you more time with kids who inspire you, and it's fun.
thebeard

Post by thebeard »

So I was in a similar situation when I was younger. I was in a tier 3 school that was decent but eventually realized I wanted something better. I took a few years and took the Joe30 route. By that I mean I was still a good teacher I just was content to teach, travel and save money with little thought of improving as an educator.

Then I went back to the states and taught and realized I was behind the times because I didn't have a growth mindset. So similar to you I had to improve a lot if I wanted to come back overseas and find a decent school which I did.

So here are some things I would suggest: (Keep in mind I'm not an administrator or someone from HR and I don't have all the answers:)
* Pull a runner. Just kidding!
* Figure out what PD will get you a better job. In my home state we have to take classes every so often to renew our teaching license. I went with a company called learners edge where they offer self paced courses for masters credit you can do online. They offer a variety of classes that teach you things based on current trends in education I'm sure their are other companies/course that offer these things. These classes were actually helpful, were up to date, and helped me improve as a teacher. The teachers of these courses helped me identify things I could work on and improve as an educator. This might be more convenient then flying somewhere and taking a weekend course or seminar.
* I'm guessing the answer is no but if you have an instructional coordinator at your school work with that person and have them observe you and give feedback. Or videotape your classes and see if you can spot things you can do better if your school allows this.
* Continue to network with other teachers at other international schools if you can. One of my favorite books "What color is your Parachute" says that a lot more people find jobs by networking then by responding to job postings. BTW continue to respond to job postings as well:)
* Hire someone to write your resume. You have to do some research and find a good company otherwise your just wasting your money. I consider myself a good writer and I did this. Before when I submitted my resume just crickets chirping. Afterwards schools were contacting me and I had a few interviews before I found a job.
* Look it's not okay to be a bad teacher and just pass out worksheets. However, at your current job you might want to focus on just being a good teacher instead of a super teacher so you have time to improve for your next job. Find a balance, btw this keeps you from also burning out as a teacher as well.
* When you get to the interview stage be prepared to have specific examples and/or an online portfolio Instead of "I believe all kids can learn" For example, I increased students writing scores this much by doing ..... Or I can tell my students showed growth b/c of this...
* If you want to do an after school club or mentor students great. However, I'm skeptical this is going to get you a new job. I'm guessing a good school that pays well is not going to be like "You ran the after school debate club? Great! When can you start?"
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Big difference between MUN and a gaming club during lunch, but I mostly meant for sanity and for growth. Otherwise good points all around, though I would never use a resume service. If you are halfway decent at formatting and use a logical listing method that you consider from a recruiter standpoint, you can save the money IMO. But that's a matter of preference and knowing your strengths.