Feeling anxious/sad

PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Completely normal, or at least typical. The biggest fear a recruiter has of a new hire is they wont get on the plane.
The biggest issue is when you start balancing the practicality of DE against the enchantment of IE. The enchantment is mostly the travel aspects of the move, and as those diminish they no longer conceal the practicalities. You are giving up serious coin most likely (which may be compensated for by the OSH package). You are leaving your family (will still be there when you visit) and your friends (who you can keep in touch with and will make new friends). Your children will likely get a decent if not strong education (maybe) and your lifestyle will potentially increase (maybe). My advice is always choose location over IS. If you have a miserable IS but a great city, then you can always escape into the location when you are done. if your location sucks though all you have is work and the IS, and it becomes your life, and tends to suck your soul from you.

@Reisgio makes a very strong point, you are giving up a significant number of knowns for a significant number of unknowns. While it all could go swimmingly well, you could get there and find out that your recruiter leadership painted the reality far brighter than it is. However, my philosophy is that if you want more luck in this life you need to take more risks.

My origins story wouldnt help you much, I was in a horrid IS in the ME, pulled a runner to Thailand were I pulled myself together and moved on.