Photo or no photo in CV?

TeacherGal

Photo or no photo in CV?

Post by TeacherGal »

Are people putting a photo (sort of passport like) in their CV?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Photo or no photo in CV?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Opinions vary, and the topic @WT123 posted explained a lot of it. Im of the school that you include a photo but as part of your application packet not inserted into your resume document yourself. The bennefit of this is two fold:

1) When the recruiter/leadership opens your email the thumbnail of your photo appears as part of the message, without having to open documents.
2) Those resumes are often printed in B&W lasers on econo-mode and the picture turns out to be a black/gray blob, which is a waste of space.
citygirl

Post by citygirl »

I initially had a photo on mine and then took it off, I put it back on when people asked for it. I still got replies although I didn't have a picture.
b12r

Post by b12r »

I placed mine on the top left corner. I used a color printer though...

Ended up getting several offers, so having one on there is not a bad thing I do not guess.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@b12r

Its not your printer thats the issue. A small thumbnail photo is fine for an actual fair (assuming you didnt bring an Ichiro), still would be fine. What I was referring to is when you email an application packet to an IS. When those resumes get printed for the leadership/staff thats going to sort and order them for the long and short lists they get printed out on a laser printer (or the photo copier) in Econo B&W mode, that photo is now just a black blob. Some elite tier ISs can get a 1000 applications for a single vacancy, even an IS with a couple hundred applicants, printing just the resumes (no supporting documents), in best quality or color is still a ream of paper and toner, the paper isnt the issue its the toner and almost all of a resume is text.
b12r

Post by b12r »

@psyguy

Got ya. Was assuming you meant attending fairs and such.