Part 2 - told the kids

splendid

Re: Part 2 - told the kids

Post by splendid »

We are a new family to IE, too, and if you are still moving to Qingdao (saw your previous postings) we will see you there:)
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Second that point about buying the clothes before you go! That worked for my daughter too (Primark was a wonderful bargaining plea...)

It might be worth looking to see what similar clubs are on offer. Sometimes it's difficult to find this out before you get there - my daughter wanted music lessons and it took a year for us to find them, as the school doesn't offer music at all to her age group. I suspect that the excitement might have been because her friends were going though, and maybe this is a chance for her to think about what she wants!

@senator - @psyguy is right. If my daughter had been vehemently opposed at the point where we were about to leave, then I think we would both have withdrawn. Ultimately, it might upset an IS or a headteacher, but my child's happiness is always paramount and I'd hope that at least I'd have been understood.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We buy almost everything we need for the year at home and drag it with us. It's simply much cheaper to get good quality items in the States at a reasonable price. Yes, everything is made in China, but the quality of inexpensive items there doesn't compare to what you can get at Old Navy on the clearance rack. Shoes (esp. athletic shoes) we found cheaper and better quality. We fill in during the year when we needed something, but lots of big bags come with us. Same with most of our toiletries (purchased in bulk at Costco). Even birthday presents, decorations, sometimes came back with us. Not everyone does it that way, but it really helps us budget month to month and often we get more bang for our buck.
CanChi4

Post by CanChi4 »

Thanks for all the info about clothes and such! Very helpful.
Sorry Splendid! We looked there but ended up elsewhere. Qingdao looks very beautiful, though! You should have some good hiking!!