NAFSA: Association of International Educators

peachestotulips

NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Post by peachestotulips »

http://www.nafsa.org/
Is anyone here a member? I know some people will chime in to say that professional organizations in our field are not worth it. However, I'm asking for people who are actually members to share their opinions. I'm looking at their FB page, but I'm wondering if there is a targeted subgroup for K-12 educators, or do they lean more towards internationalism in higher ed?
grdwdgrrrl

Re: NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

I am and have been for awhile. For me I was looking at positions as International Student advisor and the like. I have a background in Intercultural Communications. I'm a teacher now but still have my eye open for something in the future. I have no idea about a k-12 subgroup. I find it's mostly for college age students however I know many private schools have numbers of international students. What job are you looking for?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @grdwdgrrr, lts mostly for tertiary educators and those in Uni. Most of it is focused on exchanges. I am not aware of a K12/KS sub group.
peachestotulips

Re: NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Post by peachestotulips »

Thanks grdwdgrrrl! I'm not looking for a job in higher ed, I'm just wishing to expand my involvement with larger professional associations that offer networking or support for K-12 international educators. I guess I'll keep my NEA membership going. For IEs I reckon CIS, ECIS, and other regional associations are still our best bet.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@peachestotulips

NAFSA isnt the organization for you. While Ive had some interesting interactions, they tend to look down on K12/KS educators, with the focus being on tertiary exchange programs and collaborations.