Return Flight Expectation for Infant dependent

McQwaid

Return Flight Expectation for Infant dependent

Post by McQwaid »

Hello International School Review Community

I just want to ask your opinion and perspective on something.

I am currently completing a successful 2 year contract in good standing. When I was hired, I was a single. Since this time I have been married and I have an infant dependent. The contract I have states that flights home cover me and dependents (but not spouse). My baby will be about 10 months old at the end of the contract. I really want to get his own ticket/seat rather than the "baby on lap" due to the fact that I require two flights. One flight is 12 hours and the 2nd is 5hrs long. This is a long uncomfortable time and even a little dangerous for the Baby on lap position IMO.

My question is, should I feel guilty for requesting the school to pay for the full seat price for my 1 year old? It is an expensive flight and the very small school is having money problems - it's nonprofit and just doing a little better than breaking even. I personally feel that the school culture here is pressuring me towards "baby on lap" and even that isn't going over too well. I heard my NEW principal say something about the benefit only being for over 2 year olds but he did not really suggest this with full confidence because he knows that my contract does not say this and this might not be consistent with some past teachers. Also, there is a subtle systemic resentment to my added school costs and there does also seem to be an air of regret where they wished they had of adjusted the wording more carefully in the contract before. Also, this is an IB World School and they do try to be considered a "progressive school".

Should I not be requesting this extra seat cost because I did not have the baby dependent when I was hired? The contract wording specifically says: " The school will pay airfare back to hometown ... *dependents (children) but not spouse will be added to this entitlement. Maybe that (children) term does in fact mean "not infants"? I don't wanna be a smuck but at the same time, I really could use that seat for the long flight :i

Any words of wisdom out here on this? What would you do? Thanks for any input - really appreciate it.
sid

Re: Return Flight Expectation for Infant dependent

Post by sid »

This is a tough question with lots of variables.
The easiest thing would be if the school had a clear policy on this, which wouldn't necessarily be in the contract (lots of things are not in the contract, just covered by policy). Bigger schools usually do have such policies somewhere.
But since they don't, you're left in the position where you have to ask (or not), and the school has to decide whether to pay.
So should you ask?
Personally, when I'm trying to decide whether we as a school should pay for something, it often helps me to consider whether I'd be willing to use my own money towards that thing for myself. As in, if you had to pay for the ticket yourself, with your own money, would you? If the school says no, are you going to buy that ticket? If it's important enough that you would put your own money forward, than perhaps it's important enough that the school should be doing it. But if you are eager to have the school pay for something that you wouldn't personally spend money on, that doesn't seem quite fair. Tough question, and you have to be honest with yourself. From your post, it sounds rather like you wouldn't buy the ticket yourself. (This line of inquiry works well when considering whether the school should pay for a late check-out from the hotel after a PD conference, whether we should pay for a teacher to arrive a day early before a conference to fight jet lag, etc. Sometimes those things are mere fluff, and sometimes they're vital to keeping people in reasonable shape for professional learning. So I put myself in the teacher's shoes - if I were funding my own trip, would it be worth it to me to pay for the extra?)
As for what's normal, schools take different approaches. Many with policies only provide full seats for children 2+ years, which is generally when airlines start requiring that children have their own seats. In my experience, only a small few provide for children at 1 year, and I'm not personally familiar with any that provide for children under a year (though I won't be surprised when someone raises their hand and says "oh, my school, my school"). With your child under a year, the chances seem small.
Still, the school should pay for the actual cost of your child's ticket - they still have to have a ticket even on your lap, though it's a greatly reduced price. 10% is common.
And you should check out airlines that use bassinets for babies. These attach to the bulkhead wall, so the baby has its own space for most of the trip. You only have to hold her for take-off, landing and I think for turbulence. Pretty sweet deal, especially since you get bulkhead legroom. Qatar Airways and other big airlines have this.
If your school doesn't have a written policy, it's time for them to make one, though don't expect it to go in your favor. Most schools don't, and your school can meet the terms of your contract by buying a ticket on your lap. If they're financially constrained, that's probably what they'll do.
Good luck.
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

I was in this position twice at a good non-profit school and I did not ask for a ticket for the infant. They did not have a clear policy, but at that age you will generally end up with a bulkhead seat and maybe even a bassinet for the baby if you lie about the weight of the baby. You will have expedited boarding and if the flight is not full you will likely get an extra seat. Sure you can ask, but if it is several thousand dollars for the flight then maybe you are being a bit of a princess. When the kid is 22 months old it will be much more difficult to have them on your lap.
Amusing User Name

Post by Amusing User Name »

I can say from first-hand experience that caring for an infant on a long haul flight is doable with a mounted bassinet. As Sid mentioned you only have to physically hold the child during the take-off & landing.

That being said long-haul flights with small children increase the absolute sum of human suffering, in direct proportion to how unsettling the wee fella finds it to be suspended in a metal tube, hundreds of feet in the air, for a sustained period of time. Good luck
McQwaid

Post by McQwaid »

I found the policy....

It says:
* The school will pay airfare from XYZ to home city at the completion of the contract for the employee and dependents under 18 residing with the employee.*

Would I still be acting like a Princess with this new info on "The Policy"?

Great feedback by the way -- thank you so much!
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

Since you are leaving the school anyway there is no harm in asking for an extra seat. The policy is vague because the school still has to buy a ticket for a lap infant and therefore they are providing airfare even without a seat.
sid

Post by sid »

The policy doesn't specify a seat, just airfare. The ticket for the baby to sit on your lap still counts as the school providing airfare.
McQwaid

Post by McQwaid »

yes, Right. I see :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I strongly disagree with @Sid, what does it matter what other people think. IE isnt a collaborative bargaining group. Your job and obligations of you and the IS are between you and the IS. Leadership and cheerleaders like to use easy manipulation tools like guilt to get their way.

You are leaving the IS, take all you an and give nothing back, if your entitled to transport for your child (and yes and infant is a child) they owe you that transport, push for the full airfare for a separate seat.
sid

Post by sid »

I'm not sure what PG disagrees with exactly but I'm sure he'll be quick to explain.
I'm not advocating for the school to do one thing or another, I'm just explaining some variables to be considered, both by the school and by the parent.
The OP asked if he should feel guilty for asking. Absolutely not. Ask away. If you're lucky enough to get, good on ya. The school should not put pressure on you to not even ask.
But I am suggesting that the school is likely to say no, and the OP should probably accept that answer. "No" fits with standard practice, it meets the contractual obligations, and it's reasonable given that most parents, if they're paying out of pocket, do not buy a separate seat.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

"No" fits with leadership practice and the only standardization is the trend of leadership and ownership to part with as little coin as they can especially with a departing IT who is in a very weak position. It fits with the contractual obligations from again the perspective of leadership, which rarely if ever is disciplined for saving the IS some coin.
sid

Post by sid »

Are you suggesting no doesn't meet the contractual obligations?
Of course it does. Providing a separate seat would also meet them, but that doesn't make it reasonable.
Providing business class seats for the teacher would also meet the contractual obligations, but that doesn't make it reasonable. No harm in asking, but the school has little reason to say yes.
You need a better argument if you want to claim the school is somehow obligated, or even that a separate seat is reasonable.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

As mentioned above, you will get a bassinet for free. Horizontal is the best position a zero year old can in be for long flights. They love the vibration, sends them straight off to the land of nod. And they can sit up in it right in front of mommy and daddy. Free bassinet is better than paid seat.
McQwaid

Post by McQwaid »

Yes, I might just ask and accept the reply.

As I was looking through the policies I found another statement in the yearly flight policies that says " spouses can receive a $1000 usd travel benefit".

I brought this to my (new) Principal and he said,

"this is only for coordinators"

Me " but i've been the DP Coordinator for the last 2 years"

Him " yes, but last year's Principal told me it is only for active program coordinators, your the candidacy coordinator, your program does not have students yet, your setting the high school program up.

Me "I'm sorry, but what does active student enrollment have to do with a spouse getting a travel benefit? I work just as hard as them at coordination and I attend to all the same leadership meetings and planning. I set the school up for IB DP Authorization over the last 2 years?They only have 30 active students each in both PYP and MYP and we never get new students?"

Him " good point, it just depends on how you look at it"

I uncomfortably accepted not getting the $4000 per year coordinator stipend under this "active student" argument, but excluding me from this spousal benefit under the same position is going a little too far IMO.

Makes me feel like really charging hard for my infants own seat! LoL.
sid

Post by sid »

The active student thing is nuts. They took advantage of you there. There's an argument for a lower stipend since you're not registering students, shepherding them carefully through the ups and downs ins and outs of life in the DP, not supervising exams and making sure teachers meet all the deadlines and rules. But you're still doing the work to get the program ready to run. That has value and you should be paid for it. Half the normal stipend maybe?
I've never heard of connecting spouse flights to leadership roles. Seems stingy to me. Spouses should get airfare, though your school is hardly alone in saying that they only pay for pre-existing spouses, so probably even the coordinator post won't help you on this point.
I wish you'd gotten a better deal on your leadership role. Sadly, the fact that your school took advantage that way makes it more likely they'll hold the line on baby seats too. They are clearly out to squeeze pennies.
PG and I will just have to disagree. It's hardly the first time.